Ni no Kuni Devs Begin Work On Mystery PlayStation 4 Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ni no Kuni Devs Begin Work On Mystery PlayStation 4 Game

The people behind Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch and the Professor Layton series are working on a new game for the PlayStation 4 (and that's roughly all we know about it).

In a recently-published interview with Japanese website Nikkei Trendy (translated by Gematsu), Level 5 head Akihiro Hino offered up some exceedingly vague information on what the developer is currently working on. "It's still in the planning stages, but we are ... working on a PlayStation 4 title," Hino states. "We might be able to announce it soon."

As to why the company would opt for Sony's so-new-it-doesn't-even-exist-yet machine for its next project, Hino expresses notable excitement over the console's online functionality - an unexpected revelation, given that Level 5 is known primarily for singleplayer adventures.

"PlayStation 4 is next-gen hardware built with the network in mind, so more than graphics performance and specs, we need to think about communication - how to use the network features," Hino says.

Does this mean that Level 5 working on a title that heavily features online multiplayer? Maybe, but it could just as easily mean that Hino and co. are looking to expand their traditionally singleplayer-focused epic adventures with novel features that rely on certain aspects of the PlayStation 4's online connectivity. Not necessarily the network infrastructure itself, but perhaps this new game uses asynchronous online features to alter an otherwise singleplayer game. Think: Dark Souls, wherein players could scribble notes on the game's walls and floors that would then appear in other players' games via the title's otherwise invisible online feature set.

Of course, that's all just speculation. We don't know anything concrete about Level 5's next game beyond what Hino said in this interview. That said, we generally adore everything the developer puts out, so here's hoping its next grand adventure will utilize the PlayStation 4 in an interesting fashion.

Source: Gematsu [http://gematsu.com/2013/04/level-5-developing-playstation-4-game]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oooh, I'm playing Ni No Kuni currently and loving it, so anything by the Level 5 guys would definitely interest me.

Basically, can't wait to hear more about it =D

daftnoize

Aug 23, 2010
Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3!

Srly though it was such an awesome PS2 launch title hopefully it can do the same for the ps4

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Love me some level 5!

Certainly good news, and I hope they can pull it out for a launch title.

...I also REALLY hope you're right about the online features, and that they aren't trying to latch on to the MMO model that is so in vogue right now. We all know how that keeps turning out for certain other japanese RPG developers.

daftnoize said:
Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3! Please be Dark Cloud 3!
I would shit rainbows and upchuck unicorns.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well I have enjoyed Ni No Kuni, so I might keep an eye on this. Could be the thing that gets me to buy a PS4.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
daftnoize said:
Yes, yes, yes, oh God, please yesyesyesyes!!!!!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Holy fuck nugget, something that'll get me excited for the PS4! I'll wait for more news but this might be a system seller for me.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
daftnoize said:

Srly though it was such an awesome PS2 launch title hopefully it can do the same for the ps4
Oooo yeah, a new Dark Cloud game would be great!
I still have my copy of 2 and recently finished it for the umptenth time. Still a whole ton of fun.
I'd love if they expanded on the city building/crafting stuff.
But please get rid of Spheeda.
FUCKING.
SPHEEDA.
>:C

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
I'm hoping for either: a new series, Dark Cloud 3 or another game with Studio Ghibli.