Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Adds Off-Screen Play Next Week

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Adds Off-Screen Play Next Week

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is about to receive an update that will allow the game to be played entirely on the Wii U Gamepad.

Come April 15 those of you addicted to Capcom's phenomenal Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will be able to finally ignore your HDTVs in favor of the Wii U's primary controller. Not only that, but the imminent update also adds cross-region online multiplayer to the title, further expanding the potential pool of would-be Deviljho slayers you might enlist to aid you in your quest to craft ever more elaborate corpse-based equipment.

Capcom seems very excited about this update, to the point where the Capcom Unity announcement includes a specific time at which the update will be released. Actually, make that two specific times, thanks to that cross-region functionality I just mentioned. Those of you living in the Pacific Daylight Time zone will be able to download the update at 5PM on April 15, while those within the region known as the "Central European Summer Time" zone should expect the patch at 2AM on April 16.

Those of you familiar with how time zones work may have realized that these two moments actually represent a simultaneous launch for the update, so don't worry that people on the opposite of the globe will be able to hunt beasties on the Wii U Gamepad before you; everyone will have an equal chance to experience this new pseudo-portable version of the game.

While this is undoubtedly great news, after spending dozens of hours with every iteration of the game, I'm still convinced that the optimal control scheme for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate involves a big, 1080p-capable HDTV and a Wii U Pro Controller. That said, whichever control/game solution works best for you is totally viable, so if hunting on the Gamepad appeals to you, by all means enjoy it. Just make sure you bring plenty of Whetstones.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2013/04/10/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-software-update-goes-live-on-415]

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
FINALLY! I picked up the game (well, wasn't my idea to, XD) but I'm one of those people who own a SD TV, which means I've been able at all to play MH3:U since it came out. With this, I'll be able to finally play it and have so much fun.

On that note: Nintendo, please make it illegal for any game that doesn't 100% require the Gamepad screen for mechanics to need Off-Screen Play. Thank you.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Off-screen play is surprisingly great. Makes it so simple and easy to flip on the system, check the eShop, play a quick race in a game or whatever, from my computer chair or wherever I am without any setup.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Thank the gorilla lords!!!

How they could have ever released this game w/o offscreen is beyond me, it just screams for it. Great to hear, thanks! Now I can be ready to play the game while watching Archer!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
While this is undoubtedly great news, after spending dozens of hours with every iteration of the game, I'm still convinced that the optimal control scheme for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate involves a big, 1080p-capable HDTV and a Wii U Pro Controller.
Clearly you haven't yet heard the silky siren song of being able to play Monster Hunter... on the toilet.
Uh oh, my spider senses are warning me of danger...

Personally I see the potential of playing Monster Hunter on the train. There's power outlets meaning you can hook up a Wii U when you go. Suddenly that 7 hour ride by train seems almost enjoyable.

While this is great news I already have the 3DS version and I prefer the controls there compared to the gamepad controls. I have 100 hours clocked on the 3DS and 2 hours on the Wii U so there is a reason for that... Cross region play is good though, finally I can drop out of a game because my connection sucks with someone from Japan. Seriously though, this is cool.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
I only got the 3DS version. Had to shell out for a Circle pad pro because the controls were complete ass. Any updates for the 3DS version?

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I think Wii-U games should come with this option right out of the gate. Being able to move about the house (or even outside now that the weather is nice here) is super convenient and one of my favorite features of the console right now.

Captcha: the bee's knees...

You said it captcha, you said it...