Windows 8, Tablets Blamed For Record Drop In PC Sales

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Windows 8, Tablets Blamed For Record Drop In PC Sales

Quarterly computer sales are down 14 percent. The culprit? Microsoft's latest operating system.

In sad news for the computer industry, market research firm IDC has released its latest tally of PC sales for the first quarter of 2013 which demonstrate a 14 percent decline in the number of computers sold during the period. This marks the largest drop since IDC began tracking these figures in 1994.

While there are a number of reasons for the waning sales, IDC pins the majority of the blame on the much-maligned Windows 8 operating system. "At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market," states IDC vice president of clients and displays Bob O'Donnell.

According to IDC, Lenovo was the only manufacturer to report year-on-year growth, while HP, Dell and Toshiba all reported declines.

Intriguingly, IDC's report even includes Apple's computers, and while its decline was less severe than other firms, it too saw a dip in sales of both desktops and laptop computers.

Obviously Apple isn't affected by the introduction of Windows 8, so what gives? Beyond the failure of Microsoft's latest OS, IDC believes that consumers are increasingly opting for tablets for their computing needs. This makes sense, as almost any modern tablet has enough horsepower and functionality to take care of the majority of most people's computing needs. It's only when you want to play videogames or render media that you really need a powerful computer to get the job done. Combine that with unrivaled portability, and it seems clear why this decline in computer sales is so drastic.

Source: IDC [http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24065413#.UWXl9CugkhP]

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Well given that you can get around win 8 by building your own box or ordering a new computer from Dell with 7 installed I think this will get sorted.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I'm wondering if the PC as a gaming platform will survive the loss of the PC as the default home computing system.

It would be interesting to see what the old desktop machine+monitor+keyboard+mouse setup would evolve into, if only a few million gamers would keep them out of tradition.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
All that cheep Chinese labor and experienced programing won't help if you run your OS like fucking Scrooge McDuck.
I'd say that's an insult to the McDucks!

MSoft have dropped made an enormous balls up with Win 8. When throwing away more than two decades of familiarity you better have a really, really perfect, unobtrusive, flexible and above all intuitive interface to show to customers. Windows 8's default desktop being none of those things, they've rather shot themselves in the foot. Can't wait to see what Service Pack 1 (sorry 'Blue') brings.

I really want to meet whoever decided that forcing a PC to use a tablet-like UI was a good idea.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, I know I won't be getting the new Win8. No chance. And I'm glad the consumer agrees with me.

Nothing wrong with Win7. I love that one. It's like a slick, modernized XP. No idea why they even had to crank out a new one this soon again.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
When you've got a PC that can play games and run apps very well, and there's nothing being released that really requires you to make you upgrade like what was seen five to seven years ago, of course PC sales are going to drop. Why go to new hardware when your current hardware is able to perform the necessary tasks without any serious hiccups?

EDIT: Now would be a good time for Google to get Android to scale and run on PCs. A cross-platform OS that scales to the device it is installed on could very well be the thing that might kill Microsoft.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
The thing about Windows 8 is that the majority of computer users have no idea what an operating system even is. Opting for tablets (and to an extent also smartphones) is much more likely to be the culprit...I know I'll never buy another laptop as long as I've got my Galaxy S3 or whatever next thing. Didn't stop me from upgrading most of my desktop and putting Windows 8 on it though.

Dr.Awkward said:
When you've got a PC that can play games and run apps very well, and there's nothing being released that really requires you to make you upgrade like what was seen five to seven years ago, of course PC sales are going to drop.
Also this. Software requirements aren't accelerating as fast as they used to relative to computing power available so older hardware is taking much longer to become obsolete. Unless you're gaming or modelling a Pentium 4 and a gig of RAM will run anything you want it to.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Yikes. Is Windows 8 really that bad? I may be getting a gaming PC this summer, so I don't know whether or not to just go for Windows 7. Suggestions?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
The said:
Yikes. Is Windows 8 really that bad? I may be getting a gaming PC this summer, so I don't know whether or not to just go for Windows 7. Suggestions?
There is absolutely no reason to have Win8 on a desktop PC.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
It was all planned to make people convert from PC Gaming to the Nextbox /conspiracy

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
The said:
No...in fact it's one of the best Windows releases I've ever encountered (at least from a stability standpoint). People are just mad that it has a new start menu and don't want to adjust to something slightly different (even though it's easily replaceable).

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Actually, they're really trying to push 8. To give you an idea how much they are trying, they have set up a small stand at my college dining hall to showcase a laptop and tablet running Windows 8 and Surface. I have to snicker every time I see it though, and more people are interested in the free sunglasses than the OS itself. (Now I'm thinking about reserving a small table and bringing over my Ubuntu laptop over, and to see how many more would be impressed by the Linux distros...)

They've only done this before at this college once iirc, and that was about six months ago. Before that, there was no advertising that I know of for Windows 7 or Vista, aside from the laptop displays at the bookstore.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
The said:
I just bought a new laptop myself, and specified Windows 7, never considered the alternative.

And no Windows 8 isn't actually BAD, and may be very stable, it just offers no benefit for a conventional PC, has worse games compatibility than Win7, and has a whole new interface to learn, which is designed for touchscreens and poorly optimised for Mouse and Keyboard.

Basically if you have the choice, get Windows 7

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
For someone who only needs a computer to check their email and browse the internet, maybe facebook or do some online shopping, then there's absolutely no reason to have a bulky desktop PC compared to the more more portable tablets now available. The majority of people I know are like that.

If someone is shopping for a desktop computer that probably means they need it for something more demanding, whether that be work or editing or indeed gaming. Windows 8 however? Not particularly good at any of that. Oh it'll work just fine once you've got it figured out, but I daresay the majority don't want to have to bother figuring it out. Easier to just stick with an older computer and older operating system, especially as there haven't been any real leaps in technology lately.

Hell, where I work still runs windows XP on all its computers.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't get the hate for win8, I don't. I have it, I got it for freaking 15 dollars and it's a fine OS. Every new OS gets a new series of whining people complaining an icon is out of place.
Missing startbar in 8? You put your mouse in the SAME SPOT and it pulls up the task window or whatever it's called. Control panel is hard to find? Win+x click on control panel done. Change is bad, change is bad! Go have a look at windows 3.11 and tell me we shouldn't have kept the same ideas going.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
EDIT: Now would be a good time for Google to get Android to scale and run on PCs. A cross-platform OS that scales to the device it is installed on could very well be the thing that might kill Microsoft.
One OS for every form factor is already killing Microsoft. It's called "Windows 8".

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
If Microsoft ever decides it wants to go crusading with Win 8 and completely can 7, then I'm going Ubuntu full time. The only reason I haven't already is because Win 7 is as good as it is.