Stardock Investment Fund to Aid Start Up Developers

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Stardock Investment Fund to Aid Start Up Developers

Stardock wants to use its profits from the sale of the Impulse digital storefront to help fund up-and-coming developers.

In 2011 GameStop <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108904-GameStop-Buys-Impulse-Further-Invests-in-Digital-Distribution>bought the digital storefront Impulse. The purchase was a demonstration of the game vendor's desire to compete with the growing digital market, as well as a significant sale for Impulse's previous owner, the publisher and developer Stardock. Now, two years later, Stardock has announced it will be using its profits to start a new investment fund with the goal of helping start-up game and software companies get off the ground.

"When Stardock divested itself of Impulse, it presented the company with some unprecedented opportunities," said Brad Wardell, president and CEO of Stardock, in the company's <a href=http://www.stardock.com/press/CustomerReports/Stardock2012.pdf>2012 customer report. "Ultimately, it was decided that we would keep Stardock itself relatively small and create an investment fund." This goal of limiting Stardock's size is not a new one. The sale of Impulse itself was, in part, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109062-Why-Stardock-Sold-Impulse-to-GameStop>to relieve the company of the managerial responsibilities that came with owning the growing storefront. With Impulse's profits on the rise at the time, it was a move that ran contrary to what other companies might have done.

According to Wardell, however, the sale of Impulse and the new investment fund are moves well-suited to Stardock. "As a business, our objective is to make a profit. However, there are many ways to make a profit and we believed the best use of our investment capital wasn't to turn Stardock into some 1,000+ person company but rather to keep Stardock small and invest in start-ups who look to create things that will in turn, play it forward."

While no specific deals were announced in the customer report, Wardell did lay out some of the company's goals for the investment fund. Key among them is a desire to remain a minority shareholder in whatever projects it backs. It's an objective that could potentially limit Stardock's profits in the case of a success, but could also mitigate losses if things don't go according to plan.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-11-stardock-creating-fund-for-startups>GamesIndustry

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Stardock: we do what you wish every publisher does. Now if only we made something other than strategy games...

Nov 28, 2007
Stardock...were they the ones with the really horrible DRM scheme that literally broke computers back in the late 90's?

*research*

Nope, that was Starforce. Close call there. I'm all for it. More developers need a chance to get their stuff out there. Video game development is a hard field to get into, so anything making it easier gets my approval.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Oh Stardock, why you so cool?

Still my favorite publisher by far, based solely on their values and attitude. In case anyone is wondering, these are the same people who published the Gamers Bill of Rights, and who doesn't put DRM on their internally developed games.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Stardock: we do what you wish every publisher does. Now if only we made something other than strategy games...
Well at least they do a good friggin job on their games, which is more than can be said about far too many (especially the shovelware... oh god shovelware)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Hmm, I'm curious as to how this works. I may want some investment money _>.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I wish Stardock and the new devs the best of luck, intelligence, the will and strength of integrity to keep it honest, cool and transparent.