Deep Silver Eyes Possibility Of Saints Row Feature Film

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Deep Silver Eyes Possibility Of Saints Row Feature Film

Wacky open-world sandbox action franchise Saints Row may be headed to the silver screen.

As THQ fell apart over the past year, its properties were auctioned off piecemeal to a number of other companies. As a result, the rights to the Saints Row franchise are now owned by Deep Silver, a publisher most notable for the Dead Island games. That point of fame may be shifting however, as the company is currently looking into the possibility of creating a Saints Row film.

Speaking with VentureBeat, Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Deep Silver parent company Koch Media, outlined the company's various options and ideas of what it might like to pursue. "[Those movies are] not out of the question," he says. "If a company can deliver that transmedia experience, we are probably one of the few that have the ambition and ability to deliver that."

Kundratitz has a point there: Koch Media has long had a hand in the film creation business. As VentureBeat notes, the firm helped create movies like Margin Call and Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. Despite this, Kundratitz remains realistic about Koch Media's place in the hierarchy of the film biz.

"... I have to be honest, we have not been able to deliver that [experience] yet," Kundratitz states. "But it's one of my long-term strategic goals to do so."

While this means that any potential Saints Row film is likely a long ways off, it is fun to think about how exactly the franchise might make the leap to the silver screen. Unlike most other sandbox games, the Saints Row series features many diverse characters with their own motivations that carry over from game to game. It might be difficult to include "Boss" as he/she represents the player's customized character, but Johnny Gat et alia would make great movie fixtures. Plus, given the high-caliber voice acting in the games, the cast of the film already exists: Simply hire the voice actors - most of whom also act on screen - and you're set.

The only question is when this hypothetical film would take place in the Saints Row timeline. If it's recent that means Johnny Gat would either be a corpse or a zombie, removing one of the best characters in the franchise. Hopefully the writing team can come up with a solid workaround for this problem.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/11/saints-row-film/]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
WoWCrendor and OMFGCata have to contrbute something to this game.

Come on, Deep Silver! You know you want to!

Also, the movie would have to be viewed through their perspective.

It would be terrible, but memorable, and fucking funny!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
This could have the potential to be one of the funniest movies ever.

Or it has equal potential to be absolutely terrible.

So no pressure then, eh, Deep Silver?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I will only go see it if Troy Baker/Laura Bailey/Zombie play the boss. That's it.

But, I do have one exception: If they choose to bring back the idea of making Stephen Colbert the President, I'm fucking sold.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
I guess we are going to have to add this to list of video game films that won't see the light of day -_-... meanwhile Resident Evil: we don't give a fuck anymore 3D is released this summer, alongside Transformers: Michael bay rapes your childhood once again.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
If this is going to happen they may as well get Freddie onto this because that guy has amazing talent and ideas to make this crazy movie have a unique charm.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I hated that they killed Jonny in number 3... was a crime, hope he's cheesily written back in or at least is in the film.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
This could have the potential to be one of the funniest movies ever.

Or it has equal potential to be absolutely terrible.

So no pressure then, eh, Deep Silver?
And worst of all, those two aren't mutually exclusive.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I'd like to see a trilogy of SR movies, where the main character "boss" is played by different people... and even different genders, every movie.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
WoWCrendor and OMFGCata have to contrbute something to this game.

Come on, Deep Silver! You know you want to!

Also, the movie would have to be viewed through their perspective.

It would be terrible, but memorable, and fucking funny!
I am glad i'm not the only one here who knows of jesse and crendor :D yah.. it would be insane.. just like how 4 is looking to be.

OT: if they do manage it. they should forgo any seriousness.. take it to the extreme. its saints row we're talking about. not some boring gta. serious does not go well with this kind of movie. besides. gta is kinda already been made... fast and the furious.. and even then the latest movie is going crazy.. i mean com'on.. you've seen the trailers. "uh.. they have a tank" nuff said

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
so let me get this straight, i get a mod warning for not using a spoiler tag for discussing a line at the end of a movie that is over 20 years old, but it's okay for them to ruin the death of a character from a far newer franchise? escapist mod logic is magic!

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I think it should be a filmification of SR2 or SR1. The whole rise-from-nothing thing makes a better narrative for a movie than what you have in SR3...

Draconalis said:
I'd like to see a trilogy of SR movies, where the main character "boss" is played by different people... and even different genders, every movie.
And people could ask him/her/it "Did you change your hair?"

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The obvious way to do it would be to pull a Tarantino and shoot a movie that is being shot inside the Saints' Row universe. Perhaps with documentary snippets showing the "actors" in the "real" world.

But that is not what will happen because a company that goes from slow motion heartstring pulling teaser to big titted bloody torso as a curio within the space of a year is not a company that thinks its options through and chooses only the one that better represents its products and respects its costumers.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kurt Cristal said:
They already made a Saints Row film. It's called "Crank" starring Jason Statham.
I guess that makes Crank 2 Saints Row the Third.
By all means yes, and it's one of my favorite films. Not lying. Seriously though, maybe they should get Neveldine/Taylor on this project, it'd look pretty rad.