Alan Wake Fans Launch Internet Petition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Alan Wake Fans Launch Internet Petition

Microsoft [http://www.alanwake.com/] to clarify its position and release a PC version as soon after the Xbox 360 launch as possible.

The internet demands justice, but it needs your help! As we all know by now, Alan Wake began life many years ago as a PC game but, thanks to the twists and turns of fate, will launch next year as an might not happen [http://www.xbox.com] at all.

That news didn't sit well with fans of the game and you know what happens when gamers get angry: They start internet petitions. This one, created by German fan site alan-wake.de [http://www.alan-wake.de/], asks that Microsoft explain why it canceled work on the PC version, that it release a statement to "express [its] point of view on the situation," whatever that means, and that it "strongly consider" releasing the game for the PC with as little delay as possible.

"We, your most loyal fans of Alan Wake and Remedy, don't want Microsoft Game Studios' history to repeat," the petition pleads. "Halo 1 [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/halo/] was originally announced as a PC title, went to being an Xbox exclusive and finally came out more than a year later on PC. Not only did it [do] far worse with critics because of a bad port, very few actually even cared about it anymore. Alan Wake deserves to have a different fate! It lies in your hands! Don't disappoint your customers around the world!"

Internet petitions take a lot of grief for being utterly futile expressions of nerd rage, but keep in mind that it was a lowly internet petition that recently brought the entire German government to its knees [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93471-German-Videogame-Ban-Derailed-by-Internet-Petition]. Okay, I might be overstating the matter a bit, but you never know how things will work out. So quit complaining and sign it!

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Now let's hope the PC version won't turn into a reverse L4D.
At least, IF they make it.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Considering that the last time I saw, the PC version would require Vista I could care less.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Hell, PC gamers can have the game for all I care. I don't really want it for the 360.

The fact that Microsoft neglects it's PC audience like this sucks.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Fear the power of our petitions!

On a more serious note I really hope that Microsoft realizes that the PC is a important platform (its the one platform neither Sony nor Nintendo have access to directly) and actually start supporting it. If anything the PC fans of this game seem more eager than those on the 360.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Do companies even listen to petitions? I mean, it's always just the bealting of of angry nerd who are impossible to please.

speaking of which, does anyone remeber the Final Fantasy XIII guy?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Well, less fans of Alan Wake than fans of Remedy, but I get their point. I'd like to see it. I won't sign a petition, because I expect they'd port it anyway, but more power to them.

Laura.

May 30, 2009
Aiden Rebirth said:
just kidding, good luck getting it back, but seriously you guys are jerks sometimes.
So can be anyone else... any kind of elitism is stupid, gaming platforms are just an excuse for idiots to be elitist :p

OT: I'd love to get the game on PC, but I'm skeptic that this will work...

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Because petitions accomplish so much. Remember that petition to have Uwe Boll stop making movies? Yeah, well, he really doesn't give a shit how many names are on that petition. The fact that he mentioned the petition online draws more attention to himself, and like the poo-flinging monkey he is, that's all he wants and needs.

But enough about Uwe Boll! I'm glad that the 360 version doesn't seem to be in danger. This game really could do what Alone in the Dark couldn't.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Betcha an XBot will defend this by flinging some poo at the Ps3 not having this game.

Really, Microsoft should support it's PC fans more. Lately they've been leaving them nothing but crap.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Sigh. How boring. They could at least do something interestingly futile. Like, going on a hunger strike. Or taking Remedy employees hostage.

Pendragon9 said:
Betcha an XBot will defend this by flinging some poo at the Ps3 not having this game.

Really, Microsoft should support it's PC fans more. Lately they've been leaving them nothing but crap.
This makes no sense. There's nothing to even defend. Why should an XBox owner feel guilty about getting the game?

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Not sure if I'm bothered really, but it is a shame that MS treats the PC like it's ashamed of it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I signed the petition, I'd really like to be able to play this game. Sure, the chances an internet petition will actually change anything is minimal, but hope awlays dies last.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Good idea, because internet petitions always work!

Really it doesn't matter. There's no use complaining, Microsoft can do whatever they want with the game. They'll lose money for it but I can't really do anything about it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Hmmm...

Question: Does anyone know how a games success compares on the pc vs consoles?

Perhaps this is a safety measure...maybe their internet audience isn't large enough...or maybe the developers don't want to lost profits to piracy...

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Disappointing, it actually looked like a great game, I'll sign your petition.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
popdafoo said:
Good idea, because internet petitions always work!

Really it doesn't matter. There's no use complaining, Microsoft can do whatever they want with the game. They'll lose money for it but I can't really do anything about it.
I signed an internet petition for Snuff Box to be released on DVD which it was eventually. I can't definitely say the release and petition were related but I guess it didn't hurt.

I considered buying an 360 for Alan Wake, so maybe PC owners could also do this.

EDIT: can we petition for a PS3 version too?

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Considering that the last time I saw, the PC version would require Vista I could care less.
windows 7 will be out in october (legally, but now for anyone who wants to get it though other means) so its the no xp requirement isnt that bad.

its not so much a problem with alan wake as it is with microsoft and their support of what they themselves have even called "the biggest gaming platform in the world". for microsoft believing that they sure as hell dont show it (but i honestly dont expect that they believe it in the first place). valve has shown that pc games CAN sell a lot more copies than console games (as proved by both the orange box, which sold more copies than both the ps3 and 360 versions combined, and left 4 dead). its not alan wake, its how microsoft treats the pc.

finally, its not elitism, its called PREFRENCE. i have nothing aganist my 360, wii or ps3 (well, i have a lot aganist my ps3 but thats a different story), but i PREFER my pc because i PREFER a keyboard and mouse to a controller, among other things (mods, more features and the fact that i just like building computers).