Monster Hunter 3 Coming to the West in 2010

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Monster Hunter 3 Coming to the West in 2010

The latest game in Capcom's big-in-Japan franchise, Monster Hunter Tri, will hit North America and Europe early next year, Capcom announced today.

Hot on the heels of the sure-to-be-huge release of Monster Hunter 3 in Japan, Capcom has finally announced plans to release the game in the West. Renamed as Monster Hunter Tri (presumably to avoid confusing gamers already familiar with the complex naming conventions of the series in the West), the game will make its debut on the Wii in the suddenly crowded timeframe of early 2010.

Tri follows the same template as previous Monster Hunter titles on the PSP, PS2 and PC, wherein you play as a hunter who, naturally, hunts monsters in either solo or, more appropriately, co-op play for the purpose of slaying them and harvesting their hides/organs/bones/etc in order to make gigantic swords, bows, guns, armor and more. Tri sports new items, armor, weapons and monsters, including underwater beasts.

One of the most significant additions Tri brings to the Monster Hunter formula, online co-op, also figures as one of its unanswered questions. In Japan, Wi-Fi Monster Hunter goes by a pay-to-play system, not unlike an MMOG. Capcom hasn't revealed its plans for online in Monster Hunter Tri yet, but I can only imagine they won't be doing themselves any favors by charging for multiplayer.

The announcement of the game's localization isn't much of a surprise, considering Capcom's recent push to popularize the franchise, which is a downright phenomenon in Japan, in Western territories. Seems [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/31/bionic-commando-monster-hunter-freedom-unite-underperform-in/] that the last Monster Hunter, Freedom Unite, didn't sell to Capcom's expectations, however, meaning Tri might be the company's biggest (and maybe final) push to earn the series a larger audience outside of Japan.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
I cant't wait.

And AlexTheBucket2112 don't put such big pictures in your posts please not everyone has lightningspeed internet.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
YES!!!!

I am a huge fan of this series. I cannot wait for its release.
I was going to make a snarky comment asking wether there was anyone in the west thatcared about Monster Hunter, but apparently there is.

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
Arrers said:
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
YES!!!!

I was going to make a snarky comment asking wether there was anyone in the west thatcared about Monster Hunter, but apparently there is.
You are more correct than you think. There arn't many of us here in the west.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
On the Wii?

I don't posses a Wii.

I am a sad, sad person.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Guys, it's on the Wii. Thats such a bad idea on so many levels. Why cant we just have it with conventional controls and good graphics? =[ It suits MH better, like it has been in the past.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Arrers said:
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
YES!!!!

Yeah, you'd be surprised. There's a dedicated and passionate community.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
YES!!!!

Agreed. But it doesn't say what platform it'll be on :(
Here's to hoping for an all round console release.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Guys, it's on the Wii. Thats such a bad idea on so many levels. Why cant we just have it with conventional controls and good graphics? =[ It suits MH better, like it has been in the past.
It's bundled with the classic controller pro in Japan which adds grips and puts the shoulder buttons into a vertical configuration (i.e. turns it roughly into a DualShock clone). The game uses traditional controls on the Wii (official reason being that the play length is long and waggle would tire you). It also looks damn good anyway. If you ask what the point of it being on the Wii is then, userbase.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
WrongSprite said:
They cited it being on the Wii rather than the PS3 to development issues. The game is bound to sell truck loads on any console in Japan, but it's never hit past a million on the PS2 back in the day. So it's only natural for them to put the bet on the console with the most sales. And it looks pretty good.

OT: Thank god it's coming! For god's sakes, I would be annoyed that it's coming in 2010, like RS2, but at least it's coming. It seems Q1/2 2010 is going to be quite packed, with No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, Monster Hunter 3, Metroid: Other M (which will probably get delayed imho) and others.

EDIT: And I assume you didn't mean the good graphics thing for the other Monster Hunter games, because it's always been on the technically weaker system since it's inception (save for the PSP version).

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I wish they'd release it on the Ps2 at least.

Then again, I don't care for Monster Hunter, so no fuss here.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'd buy it if the term "friend code" was completely absent from the instruction manual, if you catch my drift.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Oh but there isn't any friend codes involved. Capcom has their own servers for this, in fact supports a USB Keyboard as well. It's a friend code less game.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I'd buy it if the term "friend code" was completely absent from the instruction manual, if you catch my drift.
Many games use FCs in a non-essential role. I have practically no friends entered in my games (mostly due to not knowing anyone with the game) and random matches work just fine.