New Details of Paragon Studio's Final Fight

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
New Details of Paragon Studio's Final Fight

The City of Heroes developer almost bought itself from NCsoft to keep the game alive.

It was August 31st of last year when [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119398-NCsoft-Shuts-Down-City-of-Heroes]City of Heroes closed down[/a], taking Paragon Studios and its 80 employees with it. [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119921-NCSoft-City-of-Heroes-Cant-Be-Saved]Supported poured[/a] out of the internet, but this was one villain too large to defeat. To see the nine-year-old game close so suddenly was a devastating blow to fans. Now we know more about what was happening behind the scenes, and it sounds like fans weren't the only ones fighting for their game.

A few months before the fateful closure, Paragon Studio's management was informed that publisher NCsoft was making new plans, plans that didn't include City of Heroes. Instead of simply letting the sun set in Paragon City, the studio decided to shop the game around for a new home. Many candidates were considered, but nothing came together.

"We all were really working as if things were going to work out. ... It was business as usual right up until the last day" lead designer Matt Miller told [a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/189896/behind_the_scenes_of_the_paragon_.php]Gamasutra[/a].

But Paragon wasn't deterred. "Those guys... really loved what the studio was doing and they really felt that the game still had legs," says Miller. "So, plan B, which I always thought was a great plan from the beginning was the management buyout."

That's right, Paragon was planning to secretly buy itself out of the clutches of NCsoft. At its peak, up to 20 employees were in on the deal, with strict orders to keep things under wraps until the time was right. That time never came. "Things looked like they were going to go well and then things just kind of stopped going well... I'm not exactly sure where the sticking points were," says Miller, "but in the logistics of business there's always some sticking point somewhere."

Had Paragon's management succeeded in the buyback, Paragon would have retained not just City of Heroes but two other IPs it was working on at the time as well. Because the deal fell through, NCsoft retains those properties, which remains sealed under NDAs.

Before the closure, Paragon was working on a massive anniversary update, where players would fight an alien invasion that culminated on a moon base. While Paragon wanted to push the new update out for the final days, NCsoft didn't want to deal with bug complains from the unfinished modual, so the new content died in the electronic darkness.

While the game might have closed rather swiftly, the story ends well for Paragon's 80 employees. According to Miller, "anyone who was a full-time employee got 60 days of pay... [and] a lot of people got severance as well on top of those 60 days."

Paragon Studios (originally NCsoft NorCal) took over operations of City of Heroes in 2007, when NCsoft purchased the property from Cryptic Studios, the original creators. It made the transition to free-to-play in 2011 (where Miller says that it became more profitable than the subscription model).

Source: [a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/189896/behind_the_scenes_of_the_paragon_.php]Gamasutra[/a]

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It still makes me sad that the only MMO I ever thought was decent is gone but yet all the others that are awful are still up.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I saw that interview, it still angers, and saddens me CoH went down, now, we have no truly good Super Hero MMO, just crappy or meh ones.

Do still hope the old Paragon Studios team is doing well, and hope NC soft goes under, the sooner then better.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I think the biggest missing part of this story is what NC Soft's "other plans" were since City Of Heroes still seemed to be making money and even had a new power set in the market apparently. The only thing they seem to really have upcoming is "Wildstar" which looks interesting, but has also been caught in a development limbo for quite
a long time, and to be fair their handling of their games (City Of Heroes, Tabula Rasa, etc..) has actually made me wary about any long term investment in that game even if I am probably going to try it when it comes out.

I also find it a little disturbing that NCsoft wouldn't let them buy out the property, and they are just sitting on it right now. Yes, there were "sticking points" and while they always exist, it's also true that they are easily worked around if the person with the property actually wants to sell it, which in this case I get the impression NCsoft did
not want to do for whatever reason.

We shall see what happens in the long run.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
aw, fighting things on the moon is like, one of my top three reasons to play a game

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Shame Cryptic(perfect world) were to busy with Sto and Neverwinter to reclaim there old title and maybe some of Paragon with it. Didn't remeber it was cyptic that made it back in the day, was so long since i played my character, do remeber the character creater which is Cryptic's thing but still a damned shame the game is gone and lost to us.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
LordMonty said:
Shame Cryptic(perfect world) were to busy with Sto and Neverwinter to reclaim there old title and maybe some of Paragon with it. Didn't remeber it was cyptic that made it back in the day, was so long since i played my character, do remeber the character creater which is Cryptic's thing but still a damned shame the game is gone and lost to us.
I strongly disagree. A lot of the advancement that was made to CoH happened after Jack Emmerett handed the reigns off to Matt Miller. I would not want to see him back in control again.