UFC Fighter Learned "Cool Moves" From Tekken

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
UFC Fighter Learned "Cool Moves" From Tekken

Because we all know how incredibly grounded in reality fighting games like Tekken are.

The Ultimate Fighter is the Ultimate Fighting Championship's reality show, where they set out to find, you guessed it, the one true ultimate fighter. Uriah Hall and Kelvin Gastelum will fight to decide who wins this season of the show, and Hall, in an interview with Fightland [http://fightland.vice.com/fightland-meets/uriah-hall], admits that some of his coolest fighting moves came from playing Tekken.

"I would play that videogame [Tekken] so much, and you know, I would go into practice mode and I would have the character, the computer, just spar with me back and forth almost like regular training. And you know, I would just keep playing until I see something that I do or I like and just pick up on it. And for me, I don't know, visually it was almost like my body adjusted to it. So when I started to spar, moves that I would see, it would just come back like that. It's something I couldn't explain. Every time I would see a cool move in Tekken man, I would just practice it till I got good at it. And when I do it in training, they'd be like what the hell was that."

Hall said he used to be asked all the time where he trained, and would often just throw out an excuse because he was embarrassed by the truth, that he trained with a fighting videogame. Tekken has competitive roots dating back pretty far, it is known for having ludicrously long multi-hit combos that players must memorize and time perfectly to pull off. The latest version of the game usually features as a staple in most major fighting game tournaments. While the fantastical characters and locales of Tekken are far from what we would call "grounded in reality," the actual fighting system behind it is based on real-world martial arts.

"I think in any fight, 90% of it is mental," continues Hall, saying that for most fighters, their weakest point is their mind, not their body. His trainer tells us that when he first showed up he knew nothing about fighting except for what he learned in videogames, but when he started his training he took to it like no other. The whole interview seems to suggest that fighting games can help professional fighters become better at what they do.

Seemingly coming full circle, the UFC publishes a series of fighting games known as UFC Undisputed. [http://www.ufcundisputed.com/] While Hall isn't in the game as of yet, his prominence in The Ultimate Fighter might net him a character slot in the next edition. I think he would be proud to think that the next generation of MMA fighters could be getting their early training done playing the game as a digital version of himself.

Source: Fightland [http://fightland.vice.com/fightland-meets/uriah-hall]

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
I actually think i remember reading somewhere that some of the things in Tekken are actually based off of real fighting moves and styles so it's not too rediculous to be able to perform some of the moves...as long as he doesn't try to do Devil Jins aerial beam i think he'll be fine.

DVS BSTrD said:
Just be glad he wasn't playing Mortal Kombat! O_0
Now you have me curious about what sort of Fatality the guy would have.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Ban Tekken, it's clearly a hand-to-hand murder simulator as well as being just generally shit. Surely there's a conservative lawmaker somewhere who'll jump on this one.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kheapathic said:
And I would've posted an awesome video about two guys sparing and putting in Tekken effects, but I forgot the syntax for linking youtube videos.
it's just [ youtube=XXXXX] (without the space between [ and youtube) where XXXX is just the jumble of numbers and letters at the end of the youtube video (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-efQuSlxgWY - you would enter -efQuSlxgWY)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
obviously there are flashy moves that just look good on camera, but there are quite a few that are quite good if trained properly :p
of course, it's likely it was simply inspired or based off real life forms to begin with. but still

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
That picture makes it look more like they get inspiration from Dragonball Z.
The one on the left is charging a kamehameha and the one on the right is powering up into his final form.

I may have been watching too much DBZ Abridged.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
That's really cool! Imagine if he pulled a 10-hit combo on the show, that would be fantastic.
Infernai said:
I actually think i remember reading somewhere that some of the things in Tekken are actually based off of real fighting moves and styles so it's not too rediculous to be able to perform some of the moves...as long as he doesn't try to do Devil Jins aerial beam i think he'll be fine.

DVS BSTrD said:
Just be glad he wasn't playing Mortal Kombat! O_0
Now you have me curious about what sort of Fatality the guy would have.
Or True Ogre breathing fire... or Alisa throwing her head at people... or Jinpachi eating people with the additional mouth on his stomach... or Yoshimitsu making a copy of herself and throwing people around... or worse, sticking a sword up his belly... the list goes on.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh and they say you should never imitate the moves used in the show! Ok granted that was from live shows like Power rangers but still similar! So I guess with the right training and pratice you CAN learn the moves well for the real ones.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Not too weird - most of the Tekken characters use actual fighting styles so picking up a move or two from there shouldn't be any different than what Mixed Martial Arts is all about right, I mean it's in the name. Perfectly fan as long as he doesn't try to do long combos by bouncing opponents.

Also the reverse - hopefully he doesn't play Tekken like he fights because obviously what works in real life won't work in a combo heavy game like Tekken.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
So if during a fight he flies into the air and breathes fire on his opponent we will know where he learned how to do that.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
To be fair Anderson Silva has at least one knockout via Double Dragon Style lunging elbow. Then again I'm still unconvinced that he's not in fact a fighting game character escape into the real world.

[youtube=zp-BEC-3LVY

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
If you wait a bit the title screen you can see Jin Perform two hight level Karate Katas; Pinan Go and Yantsu. I actually used to watch him as well help me pass my brown belt grading:)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Gatx said:
Not too weird - most of the Tekken characters use actual fighting styles so picking up a move or two from there shouldn't be any different than what Mixed Martial Arts is all about right, I mean it's in the name. Perfectly fan as long as he doesn't try to do long combos by bouncing opponents.

Also the reverse - hopefully he doesn't play Tekken like he fights because obviously what works in real life won't work in a combo heavy game like Tekken.
I'm reasonably sure there's no rule whatsoever in MMA probiting you from bouncing your oppponent on the floor, or against the cage.

Don't think it's a move my trainer will bring up anytime soon though - there's a few slightly more efficient combo transitions.