Shovel Knight Quadruples Kickstarter Goal

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Shovel Knight Quadruples Kickstarter Goal

Yacht Club Game's Kickstarter campaign for Shovel Knight has raised more than $300,000 toward the game's development.

When Shovel Knight began its <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight>Kickstarter journey, things were looking good early on. Created by Yacht Club Games, the project raised more than <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122725-Ex-WayForward-Devs-Seek-Kickstarter-Funding-For-New-Game>$11,000 in its opening hours and reached its $75,000 goal a few weeks later. With time still left on its Kickstarter clock, the developer announced stretch goals to spur further fundraising. These goals initially seemed far flung and unlikely, but the game's nearly 15,000 backers dug deep and pushed Shovel Knight well beyond expectations. The game eventually raised $311,502, more than four times its initial goal.

"Our minds are blown. Our hearts are full," said Yacht Club Games in an update following the end of the campaign. "Most of you don't even know us personally, but just know that you made it possible for us to realize our dreams." Shovel Knight will be Yacht Club Game's first title, but the developer still has something of an impressive pedigree. Much of its staff were former employees of WayForward Technologies, the studio behind retro flavored games like Contra 4, Shinobi, and Double Dragon Neon. This old school experience will likely come in handy for Shovel Knight, an 8-bit homage to games like Mega Man and Castlevania.

Fundraising for Shovel Knight may have come to an end, but Yacht Club Game's campaign efforts are still ongoing. Though the developer has plans to bring the game to PC, Mac, Linux, 3DS and Wii U, it is also in the process of lobbying for a spot on Steam via the storefront's <a href=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132072322>Greenlight service. Considering that thousands of people were willing to fork over money to help see to Shovel Knight made, we'll go on a limb and say there's a good chance the developer will find the votes it needs to push the game to the top of the Greenlight crop.

Source: <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight/posts/453859>Kickstarter

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
And people say the 'superstar' kickstarters that have big names attached to them are sucking crowdfunding dry.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I threw some money at them, though, I had never heard of this game before until few days ago on Game Grumps.

Looked neat. Now to wait and see if it gets greenlit...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Well, Shovel Knight has been demo'd by a number of big names in the Youtubery (Game Grumps and Two Best Friends Play, to name a few). And all of them kept going on about how great Shovel Knight is. So this isn't really surprising to me.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Ed130 said:
And people say the 'superstar' kickstarters that have big names attached to them are sucking crowdfunding dry.
Well, those people will probably just start calling Shovel Knight one of these superstar kickstarters, along with all the other continously increasing numbers of them, and continue blaming them for sucking crowdfunding dry from other, EVEN SMALLER projects that could theoretically get funded.

It wouldn't be much more ridiculous than treating $3-4 million games from minor studios as the AAA Menace Against True Indies.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really can't wait to see this one released. Oddly enough, this one comes up under the "retail" listing of GameFAQS in addition to download...the thought that I can buy this on disc only makes me want it more.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
I was too broke to donate,but I am glad to see this one fully funded. I can only hope it gets a 360 release,because I doubt my crap computer can even run the damn thing...either way I am still happy others will get to play it. :)

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
The Yacht Club devs are a pretty fun bunch. I was watching their 24-hour game marathon on Twitch and a few times the chat just exploded in laughter over the shenanigans :D

G3

Feb 18, 2013
I'm getting curious if every Kickstarter goes way over the funding goal. I never hear about the ones that tank. At least not from gaming sites I don't.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I checked them out after Game Grumps devoted an episode to this game. I'm really impressed, and so is my wallet.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Like many, I heard about this through Game Grumps. It looked interesting at first and with a little digging I fell in love with it.

Get it?.. aw.

Anyway, It looks like they'll do some good work and the fact that it will be on 3ds as well is a plus in my book.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
As far as I know 'Super Best Friends Play' and 'Game Grumps' played it, never underestimate the use of well placed publisity.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
I saw the Game Grumps play it. I'm not a Kickstarter guy so I didn't pledge anything, but I'll sure buy it if/when it comes to the Wii U.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
PunkRex said:
As far as I know 'Super Best Friends Play' and 'Game Grumps' played it, never underestimate the use of well placed publisity.
Damn, these guys know how to reach their target audience. It's looking less surprising they raised so much money when they handed out demos to the most popular let's players. That and they used to be Wayforward.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'm looking forward to playing it on the 3DS, that system needs more great games and this seems perfect on it.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Found out about this because of Game Grumps. Donated $75 because they let you sit in on their online meetings. Can't wait to listen in on actual game development meetings.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Ed130 said:
a bunch of posts later, we find out that it's a superstar kickstarter lol

dear reader: please understand that promoting IS a big part of kickstarter, and expecting people to arrive to fund these projects out of thin air is unrealistic