Warner Bros. Delays European Wii U Injustice Launch

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Warner Bros. Delays European Wii U Injustice Launch

European Wii U owners are suddenly facing a bit more of a wait before they too will have the opportunity to punch Batman through a skyscraper.

Man, what is going on with the Wii U version of NetherRealm Studios' Injustice: Gods Among Us? Way, way back when the Wii U was still a hot new thing (read: before it launched), publisher Warner Bros. Interactive announced that the DC comics-based fighting game would appear not only on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but also on Nintendo's latest console. Nintendo has made a concerted effort to aim the Wii U more directly toward "core" gamers than the casual set who propped up the Wii, so this all made sense and it seemed likely that the Wii U iteration of Injustice would be a perfectly solid fighting game.

That's when things took a turn for the worrying. First, it was revealed that the Wii U iteration of the game wouldn't see the same Collector's Edition treatment as its PS3 and Xbox 360 counterparts. Lame, right? Absolutely, especially as it could have potentially been the console's first chance to receive a solid, mass market, arcade-style fighting stick.

Then, this morning, Warner Bros. announced that the release date for the European Wii U version of Injustice has been delayed. Initially the game was to launch on April 16 on all three platforms, but now, for some unknown reason, European fans won't see the game until April 26. Granted, that's a minor delay, but it's yet more bad news for the title and the Wii U in general - a console whose sales figures leave a lot to be desired [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123286-Price-Drop-Wont-Help-Ailing-Wii-U-Claims-Analyst].

We have attempted to contact Warner Bros. and NetherRealm Studios to inquire as to why this delay had been instituted, but neither firm has yet responded. If/when we hear back we'll update this piece with more information, but for now this remains a mystery.

Source: Amazon UK [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Injustice-Gods-Among-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B008CCNN84/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366054131&sr=8-4&keywords=injustice+gods+among+us]

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Yes, yes, Mr. Cavelli.. we all read your other doom-and-gloom Nintendo hate thread. No need to shove it down our throats.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Aside from the bias of the author, the worst part is that the publisher will blame the WiiU userbase and Nintendo that their game sold worse than on other platforms. They obviously don't understand that if I have 2-3 platforms, I will pick it on the platform that has it first.
So a 10 day delay is huge because lots of people will get it for another platform and some other people that might have bought it will forget about the game in those 10 days.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
BiH-Kira said:
Aside from the bias of the author, the worst part is that the publisher will blame the WiiU userbase and Nintendo that their game sold worse than on other platforms. They obviously don't understand that if I have 2-3 platforms, I will pick it on the platform that has it first.
So a 10 day delay is huge because lots of people will get it for another platform and some other people that might have bought it will forget about the game in those 10 days.
The irony of it all being that Nintendo's patented cross D-pad is far and away the best d-pad for playing fighting games with. The PS3's is pretty good as well, though not as tactile or spongey, but I do have to question why anyone would want to play a fighting game with the 360 controller. That d-pad, just... eurgh.
My cousin who owns a 360 came recently and is staying at my place for a while. We are playing Soul Calibur almost every night. I literally stopped using the 360 d-pad and I'm using the analog stick. Analog stick for fighting games... that's how bad the d-pad is.

I LOVE the 360 controller for some other games. Dark Souls place fantastically on it but the d-pad... just awful. I honestly don't know what the guys at Microsoft were thinking when they made that d-pad.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Those twisting d-pads that the newer 360 controllers have help a little bit. Just a little bit. Frankly, I have yet to return it to its default position. :/