Splinter Cell: Blacklist Trailer Busts Moves, Heads

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Splinter Cell: Blacklist Trailer Busts Moves, Heads

America's enemies are about to find out that when you mess with Sam Fisher, Sam Fisher mess with you.

Sam Fisher is a bad dude. He'll drop from the sky, step out of the shadows, mess you up so bad you'll have to unzip your fly to order a burger and then be back on the plane to the next international hotspot before anyone knows he was there. Stalk, Strike and Silence - that's the Fifth Freedom, baby!

I suppose that the lingering look at Fisher's Bat-suit is fairly common stuff these days, but it still reminds me of nothing so much as Half-Life. Sam himself seems a bit more prone to overt violence than I remember him, but it has admittedly been awhile since I last stepped into his shoes, and the Blacklist iteration of Sam Fisher appears to be younger and perhaps more action-oriented than the model I'm used to.

Whatever the case, it looks like Sam is well-prepared to tear the enemies of America a new one, but I'd still feel better if Michael Ironside was on the case. Splinter Cell: Blacklist comes out on August 20 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I love the games, though the last one sucked. But i always find it funny the enemy never notice these glowing green lights moving around. How can they not think, wow, what are those green lights in the darkness? lol

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
So, Ubi, where's that demo you promised?

I'd be a lot more excited if I could get my hands on the controls; see if you tightened them up since Conviction. It's also be nice to take that Classic mode for a spin.

Just sayin'

Really, though, the trailer doesn't present any new information at all, though I am glad they're focusing a bit more on the stealth aspect, even if they do still have him killing everything in the room. Still not sure about this one though.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
The game looks awesome, and I'm almost definitely going to get it, but I have a feeling that I'll have a little cry every time I hear Sam speak. God I'm gonna miss Ironside.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Krantos said:
Really, though, the trailer doesn't present any new information at all, though I am glad they're focusing a bit more on the stealth aspect, even if they do still have him killing everything in the room. Still not sure about this one though.
I'm hoping that it's now your choice as to how things go down. Hopefully you can either avoid everyone, pick them off one by one or just start blowing people away generic shooter style.

Though it did look like there might be some generic action sequences of running through explosions etc.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I know it comes out on the 20th me, but the release at the end of the trailer says in some places it comes out on my birthday (23rd). Kind of cool. I am still on the fence on this one however seeing how the last one, while enjoyable, wasn't that great. I am going to miss Ironside however, his voice was awesome.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
So aside from the fact that the voice actor is a little kid and sounds nothing like Sam Fisher, they have now changed the character model so he looks nothing like Sam Fisher. Fantastic!

This is no longer Splinter Cell.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Gone are the days of the modern day ninja. Sliding in the shadows going in and out of buildings without disturbing so much as a dust particle, leaving mobs of gaurds scratching their heads on how someone got in and drank all the crystal pepsi.

Gone are the days of deniability and black ops. The times when your presence was meant to be secret even to your enemies. Where they would question if they had even been hit in the first place.

Splinter Cell is dead. It has fallen to the frat boys who are incapable of anything that involves patience for more than a millisecond. With the new voice actor there is now officially nothing left of what once made Splinter Cell great. It has joined the rank and file of mediocrity.

Good news for me cause I have been having some money troubles lately. So thanks Ubisoft for killing another franchise for me. Saves me quite a bit of cash.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Whelp, this looks like a prequel. Funny, I remember when the first SC game was announced UbiSoft was tooting their horn saying it was supposed to be the Metal Gear killer. Now it looks as though it's just going to literally follow in its footsteps instead.

Future prediction incoming: The next SC game will feature bi-pedal tanks and Sam will be a sword toting cyborg ninja vampire, resurrected from the dead by nanomachines.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Nope. No. I can't do it. I can't watch any more of these trailers. Not without Michael Ironside. I thought maybe, MAYBE, I could get used to Sam sounding like every other generic action hero dickhead in his late twenties but. I. Just. Fucking. Can't. Fuck it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Looks pretty solid. My only complaint is the lack of Ironside voice-acting otherwise in the merits of a game-trailer it was 'reassuringly' good. If the reviews prove their promise of playing it 'your way,' I may pick this up in a sale.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
TheEndlessSleep said:
Dafuq happened to Ironside?
He suffered the same fate as Stephen Russell in Thief, which is an equally jarring and tragic loss: Ubisoft wanted an actor who could do the voice and perform motion capture at the same time, and Ironside is too old for the action bits. It's asinine and sad, but seems to be the way of the future.

Why Ubisoft didn't take the opportunity to retire Fisher (who was getting kind of old anyway) and bring in a new, younger operative is completely beyond me.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
1337mokro said:
Gone are the days of the modern day ninja. Sliding in the shadows going in and out of buildings without disturbing so much as a dust particle, leaving mobs of gaurds scratching their heads on how someone got in and drank all the crystal pepsi.

Gone are the days of deniability and black ops. The times when your presence was meant to be secret even to your enemies. Where they would question if they had even been hit in the first place.

Splinter Cell is dead. It has fallen to the frat boys who are incapable of anything that involves patience for more than a millisecond. With the new voice actor there is now officially nothing left of what once made Splinter Cell great. It has joined the rank and file of mediocrity.

Good news for me cause I have been having some money troubles lately. So thanks Ubisoft for killing another franchise for me. Saves me quite a bit of cash.
I normally don't like making these sort of comments towards a game. But in the case of Blacklist... you're right. All of it.

Bolded are the parts I've basically thought myself word per word about this game. Sam just doesn't have that sneaky finesse to him anymore. Even the alleged 'stealth' aspect to this game seems a lot more along the lines of sprinting around and diving out of windows like a fucking asshole. The old games made a very believable point that moving around like that will get you quickly spotted. All I can say about Blacklist whenever I see gameplay is: "What is this?"

And the flashing text all over the screen doesn't help either. Really puts a wrench into that tension whenever I see shit like:

[HEADING=3]SILENT TAKEDOWN +150PTS![/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]EXECUTE READY[/HEADING]

flash over the screen while I'm trying to sneak.

I hate to say this. But I think it's obvious they're trying to appeal to that OTHER crowd.

Sad to see one of my old favorite franchises go this route.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
TheEndlessSleep said:
Dafuq happened to Ironside?
He suffered the same fate as Stephen Russell in Thief, which is an equally jarring and tragic loss: Ubisoft wanted an actor who could do the voice and perform motion capture at the same time, and Ironside is too old for the action bits. It's asinine and sad, but seems to be the way of the future.

Why Ubisoft didn't take the opportunity to retire Fisher (who was getting kind of old anyway) and bring in a new, younger operative is completely beyond me.
Agreed. Fisher was getting onto like what; 55ish in conviction? He's a bit old to be an agent but that doesn't mean he wasn't an awesome character while he lasted. He now sounds about 20 and it makes literally no chronological sense...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
dakkster said:
So aside from the fact that the voice actor is a little kid and sounds nothing like Sam Fisher, they have now changed the character model so he looks nothing like Sam Fisher. Fantastic!

This is no longer Splinter Cell.
Actually seems a hell of a lot more lIke Splinter Cell than Conviction ever did. This is genuinely starting to give me Chaos Theory vibes.

They really should have just made it a new character though.