Meet The New Enemies Of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Meet The New Enemies Of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen isn't quite a sequel, nor quite a re-release, but it is packed full of new creatures looking to murder your team of adventurers.

Come April 23, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen makes its debut on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. For those of you unfamiliar with the title, Dark Arisen is an unexpectedly generous release that includes both the original Dragon's Dogma as well as its new Dark Arisen expansion. Apparently the additional content was too large to be released as downloadable content, and since Dragon's Dogma was wildly under-appreciated, Capcom has just decided to release the whole thing all over again.

While a full run-down of what's to be found in Dark Arisen would necessarily spoil a lot of the Dragon's Dogma story for those who never played the game on first release, Capcom has issued a helpful trailer detailing the host of new monsters you'll encounter in the game. That'd be the clip embedded at top right.

So, what'd you think? Anyone who spent extensive time with the original Dragon's Dogma should expect those Pyre Suarians to be very, very annoying. Saurians were always a nuisance, but covering them in fire just seems cruel. Good to know that they're allergic to ice attack though. My pawn never leaves the house without the ability to blast giant ice crystals from the ground.

Further, I really like the Dragon's Dogma incarnation of Death. As a videogame character the embodiment of mortality has been done to death (pun not intended and exceedingly lame), but rarely in such classic form. This version almost harkens back to the various Castlevania Deaths we've seen over the years, sans that character's tendency to fill the screen with miniature whirling scythe blades. I don't really care about that though, as his aesthetic is very much the old-school, gothic, floating-skeleton-in-tattered-robes look that, no matter how archaic it becomes, will always offer the character the appropriate aura of doom and gloom.

Too bad you won't be able to climb up his back though. Who needs to fear inevitable mortality if Death can be ascended like a 24 Hour Fitness rock wall and stabbed in the eye?

Comments are below. Leave your own impressions there.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/04/12/prepare-thyself-for-combat-with-this-dark-arisen-enemy-vid]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen isn't quite a sequel, nor quite a re-release, but it is packed full of new creatures looking to murder your team of adventurers.
It is both an neither, until you open the box.
Upon my completing my examination, i believe this Dark Arisen thing to be something formally known as an "Expansion". A truly rare specimen theese days.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Ya know, seeing all this coverage of Dark Arisen has gotten me more interested in Dragon's Dogma. I remember playing the demo and it was a ton of fun. I also remember seeing review sites usually giving it above-average or great scores.

Would anyone recommend that I just go and buy it? I think used copies are pretty cheap right now. Or should I just wait to pick up this expanded version later on?

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
So will they be fixing all the bugs/problems with Dragon's Dogma for this release?

I'm kinda interested in Dragon's Dogma, but all the bugs/clunky aspects made me decide against buying it. I was hoping for a more polished sequel, will this be it?

Hmm...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
My impression... hmmmm, my impressions....

Capcom does it again. Now if I want to play the Dark Arisen Expansion I need to actually purchase the game again. FUCK YOU! I am never going to buy a new game from Capcom again. I now know that they plan on doing this with every single game outside of their fighting game series.

All that said and done... I may have to still buy it because this game was awesome and I really want that expansion. I always keep wishing they would do a PC release for this game, but they are far too stupid to do that.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Ya know, seeing all this coverage of Dark Arisen has gotten me more interested in Dragon's Dogma. I remember playing the demo and it was a ton of fun. I also remember seeing review sites usually giving it above-average or great scores.

Would anyone recommend that I just go and buy it? I think used copies are pretty cheap right now. Or should I just wait to pick up this expanded version later on?
I played it and it was tons of fun, but IMO you should wait and get the expanded version.

OT: Looks pretty good, though I highly doubt that I'll get it because I have the original and I don't intent to buy it again.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I'm calling bullshit, Capcom. When you first announced this re-release business, you said that there were no hooks in the code. "It wasn't meant to be expanded upon," you said. And now you're telling us it was too large to be released as DLC?

At least get your story straight while you're selling us the same game with additional content. >_>

neonsword13-ops said:

Dark Arisen comes out in just over a week. It'd be cheaper to wait until Dark Arisen comes out. If you bought DD Vanilla, you'd have to buy it a second time to get Dark Arisen.

Resin213

Jan 22, 2009
I already had Dragon's Dogma, I'll just buy the expansion without the original game pls.

FRYINGINTOFREEE!!!!!!!!!!

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
I'm in the same boat as you, so I'll tell you what I'm thinking. Either way, I would wait. The original DD will likely have a price drop when this comes out as a lot of people will be selling off old copies to get it. If you want the additional content (and are the kind of person to play a game for a long time), buy Dark Arisen, otherwise buy the original used. Either way, wait until this comes out.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I'm still not getting it sadly. I love Dragons Dogma, but I'm not dishing out 40 bucks for what is essentially 15 bucks worth of DLC. I know you'll argue that it comes with all the previous DLC which may be more then 50 bucks... those were fetch quests for the most part and didn't add much to the game. Maybe after a price drop, but not now.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm happy to buy the game again to get this just to show Capcom people want more of this, and less garbage.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
I'm interested in the game, but not so much to the point that I'd run out and buy it the day it comes out. I'll wait a bit, and if push comes to shove I'll sell my old copy to get the new version a bit cheaper. That being said, I am glad Capcom is actually trying to make it enticing by:

1.) New content, with new monsters, quests, etc. in an area that's size is around half that of Gransys
2.) Adding in all of the current DLC for free, plus new character customization options
3.) Lots of new equipment
4.) 3rd tier skills
5.) Various bug/framerate fixes (from what I've heard of the DD:DA demo in Japan, it runs a lot smoother in chaotic combat)
6.) Menu adjustments (it loads much faster and smoother now)
7.) A few changes to the world map--mostly additional already-active Port-Crystals, rather than the one in Gran Soren
8.) Free items for those who own the original copy (the Unlimited Ferry Stone is the big thing for a lot of people)
9.) An actual use for the hundreds-of-thousands of Rift Crystals people have been hoarding!

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Oh damn, didn't realize this was coming out so fast. I might not get it right away, but this piece of news certainly appeals to me. Never got the vanilla version of Dragon's Dogma, so this is right up my alley! This might also make a good birthday gift for my cousin who was also interested, but never got the original as well.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Baresark said:
My impression... hmmmm, my impressions....

Capcom does it again. Now if I want to play the Dark Arisen Expansion I need to actually purchase the game again. FUCK YOU! I am never going to buy a new game from Capcom again. I now know that they plan on doing this with every single game outside of their fighting game series.

All that said and done... I may have to still buy it because this game was awesome and I really want that expansion. I always keep wishing they would do a PC release for this game, but they are far too stupid to do that.
Sort of have to agree here. I don't see what impetus anyone who was an early adopter has to NOT feel cheated here. I mean, MAYBE if I could still share pawns with the new expansion, or had a compatibility patch made available. It's just as well really, as I've played the game to death, and am uninterested in anything short of Dogma 2.

Capcom's done it again, just like MvC3. I was really tempted to get "Remember Me," I was even looking forward to pre-ordering it. I just realized it's being published by Capcom, and have refused to buy anything new from them, esp in light of the SFxTekken fiasco, the DMC and RE6 debacles, Asura's Wrath Ending DLC Fiasco, the Megaman....the fiasco's in general.

When was the last time they released something that DIDN'T perturb the fanbase? The only thing that might save the "Remember Me" purchase is that I don't want to penalize the fledgling team responsible for that particular game...but Capcom's left me with little respect for their products.

On a more upbeat note, the game was extremely addicting, and worth the buy for newcomers, esp considering the bonus content at the reduced price.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
So I gotta ask, as I played dragon's dogma and thought the combat was pretty awful. Took like 20 hits to kill even a kobald. Took like 5 minutes to kill a big ogre. Was that an aspect of the first few hours, or did the game get better?

The customization and story were interesting, but the combat just killed it for me. I quit after like 2 hrs of play.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
i got the original for £10 (second hand, but worked fine) and amazon is charging slightly under £20? fine by me

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Looks like I'll be making a friend happy with my old Dragon's Dogma copy, when I get my hands on this one.

Stingy bastard almost never buys his own games anyway.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
Aggieknight said:
So I gotta ask, as I played dragon's dogma and thought the combat was pretty awful. Took like 20 hits to kill even a kobald. Took like 5 minutes to kill a big ogre. Was that an aspect of the first few hours, or did the game get better?

The customization and story were interesting, but the combat just killed it for me. I quit after like 2 hrs of play.
Depending on what class you decided to start with the beginning game can be sort of difficult but once you manage to build up your equipment and learn proper tactics the fights become much easier. But larger monsters are suppose to take you some time to take a while to kill. That large ogre you fought you fought is sort of like a mini-boss and is definitely suppose to take a while when you start out - but by the time you max out your gear you can likely down the same ogre in less than a minute. So yes it sort of has a steep difficulty curve (though it's far from the worse I've seen) but once you get pass the hump it's pretty easy. It gets somewhat repetitive but I found myself still enjoying it. I'd recommend giving it a little while longer before evaluating the game.

OT: Definitely sounds awesome. I don't really think it's a day-1 purchase but I liked DD and I'd be willing to put some more money into it in the future from some serious extra content.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Aggieknight said:

What class did you pick? I killed the ogre quickly even as a starting mage.
All the power. Also, eventually those things get killed off in 30 sec max at later levels.

OT: I liked the game, but not enough to buy it a second time. The lack of save space still bothers me and other issues...