Metro: Last Light Survival Guide Teaches the Value of Stealth

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metro: Last Light Survival Guide Teaches the Value of Stealth

In the Metro, you will quickly run out of bullets, but you will never run out of enemies.

Stealth in Metro 2033 is a tricky thing. Complaints that it's "broken" are common and even if you don't happen to agree with that harsh assessment, there's no question that it's incredibly tough. Enemies can detect you for the least little thing (or sometimes seemingly for nothing at all) and once the jig is up, you better be ready to throw down.

Will it be better in Metro: Last Light? The emphasis on stealth in this Ranger Survival Guide video suggests that it's been given more attention this time around, but "better" is relative and stealth in videogames is a tricky thing at the best of times. However you approach the situation, ammunition is indeed very scarce in this game, so a little discretion wouldn't hurt - charging in with guns blazing is rarely a good idea in the Metro.

Which parts of 2033 worked and which didn't, and whether it was broken in any particular way or just difficult and unforgiving, is still a matter of much debate. That's perhaps the biggest challenge facing 4A Games in Metro: Last Light: smoothing the experience for a wider audience without alienating gamers who enjoyed the brutal, punishing gameplay of the original. Based on these videos, I'd say there's a pretty good chance they're going to get it right.

Metro: Last Light [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Pc/dp/B0053BSMPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366129912&sr=8-2&keywords=Metro+Last+Light] comes out on May 14 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
However Last Light turns out the marketing campaign has been effective, I can tell that. But really, I would say 2033's biggest problem was that it was genre confused. Mechanically it was a stealth game (low health, easy to die) with very light inventory management hinting at the open-world RPG it should have been, but structured as a shooter.

yellost

Nov 7, 2011
I've never had an issue with the stealth mechanic in the original (and I'm terrible at shooters). I can't even remember complaining about a crazy AI reaction (and I tend to do that a lot during my gaming sessions because I'm terrible at it XD ). I thought it was way better handled than most games
And I loved its UI where everything was included on your actual gear onscreen. One of the most immersive games I've ever played. I have really high hopes for the sequel.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Wow I didn't realise the attention that stealth is getting this time around. Have to take out lights brings back fond memories of playing The Darkness, even if the intentions are different. If reviewers start saying that the stealth element feels like the Thief series then I'll be all over this game.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
My favourite weapon from the first game was the Harpoon gun with 6 barrels. Slow as heck, but very powerful and the metal arrows were nearly always recoverable. Thus, never ran out of bullets :)

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Charcharo said:
Goliath100 said:
However Last Light turns out the marketing campaign has been effective, I can tell that. But really, I would say 2033's biggest problem was that it was genre confused. Mechanically it was a stealth game (low health, easy to die) with very light inventory management hinting at the open-world RPG it should have been, but structured as a shooter.
It was never supposed to be an open world RPG lol. Besides, on normal and less its a very easy game to just shoot through. Only on hard and Ranger is it really somewhat hard to shoot the other humans (though not too hard). As for the stealth well it was good, though hard. A real option, but it was not explained all that well.
The real star was the world, and making it an Open World Fallout Type RPG would let the world shine. And I did not say the game was hard, only that you had low health (like in most stealth games). But again, it would been so much better as an Open World RPG. Face it, Metro-series has a intresting world and I for one want to see all of it.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Goliath100 said:
Charcharo said:
The real star was the world, and making it an Open World Fallout Type RPG would let the world shine. And I did not say the game was hard, only that you had low health (like in most stealth games). But again, it would been so much better as an Open World RPG. Face it, Metro-series has a intresting world and I for one want to see all of it.
I actually really enjoyed the linearity of Metro 2033, I thought that it showed that a game being linear wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Plus I don't think they had the budget to make an open world game.

OT: I wouldn't say the stealth was "broken" just unforgiving, I'm extremely excited for Metro Last Light, I hope they don't fuck this up.