New Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer: Shall We Begin?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer: Shall We Begin?

Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise is here to remind us all that size isn't everything.

I liked the last Star Trek movie - the first "new" Star Trek movie, I suppose - and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too. But because I'm old and cranky, I feel obligated to complain about this latest, loudest trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness, packed as it is with overwrought music, cliched dialog clips and, naturally, enough explosive energy to push the Earth out of its orbit. All well and good for a summer blockbuster, I suppose, but... what's going on?

As near as I can figure, Shakespeare Broodybrows is mad because Captain Kirk pulled in more money than he did at the last Starfleet Cheesecake for Charity event, so he traveled to the Mirror Universe and borrowed the keys to the Enterprise D, and then, I don't know, cue some explosions and existential angst, I guess. Hey, where's Chekov?

My biggest complaint about the rebooted Star Trek franchise isn't actually all the mindless pyrotechnics, it's that the focus of the whole thing is on the guy who's easily the least interesting one of the bunch. I can't say I'm a huge fan of how they've turned Spock into nothing more than a really stoic human either, but the real problem is Kirk: a generic bad-boy with a good looks, a good heart and about as much personality as his chair.

Harsh? Perhaps. And let's be honest about it - as sound and fury goes, this is a pretty groovy trailer. Star Trek Into Darkness hits theaters in North America on May 17.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Wasn't Kirk always the generic bad-boy with good looks, a good heart and as much personality as his chair?

Honestly, I enjoyed the 'new' version of Kirk. Picard is still the best Enterprise Captain. Since this has Sherlock as the bad guy, I am more than happy to watch this.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I don't actually care for the young crew or JJ Abrams films but like so many others I might just be inclined to watch this for Cumberbatch as the baddie.
Although I still maintain he totally should have been a young Khan Noonien Singh.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Holy shit would you look at the size of the Warp Nacelles on that Galaxy Class. That thing is a monster.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Yay lens flair.....

But no seriously, I am looking forward to this, Benedict Cumberbatch is really starting to be the big baddie of our generation, Star Trek The Hobbit..... I wonder which villain he will tackle next....

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
so he traveled to the Mirror Universe and borrowed the keys to the Enterprise D
Ok yes I know it doesn't matter but that is now way the Enterprise D it would be the Enterprise E if it came from the alternate universe, or most likely its the excelsior class of which the Enterprise B was one. Please don't take my lunch money.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I don't know it looks awesome enough that I can show it to my girlfriend and she might let me take her to it.

I never liked Shatner all that much anyway. The best work he ever did was in Boston Legal. So the Chris Pine Kirk is fine by me.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
I officially have no idea what to expect from this film. I can't tell if it will be crap or great... but it -will- be shiny.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok the new scene (Kirk ship coming face to face with the bigger villain ship) got more even more hyped up now!

Is it just me or can anyone easily see that the ship get damage while taking casualty and crash into the sea but somehow later on it rise up again (either they somehow repair the damage quickly while underwater or it's still damaged)?

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Parakeettheprawn said:
I officially have no idea what to expect from this film. I can't tell if it will be crap or great... but it -will- be shiny.
Well if it crap, it's a great example of a polished turd.

Edit:Grammar

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I wish people would stop complaining about how generic Pines is. I mean, he's certainly generic, but it's not like Kirk was originally such a complex and nuanced character to begin with.

Anyway, after seeing that Cucumber-Batch's[footnote]That's his name, right?[/footnote] character drives a ship that looks a LOT like the Enterprise, I now have theory he's playing some kind of evil, alternate Captain Picard. Seriously, close your eyes and picture Patrick Stewart when he says "Shall we begin?" at about 1:18. The voice is uncanny.

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Gammayun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Ok yes I know it doesn't matter but that is now way the Enterprise D it would be the Enterprise E if it came from the alternate universe, or most likely its the excelsior class of which the Enterprise B was one. Please don't take my lunch money.
That is not enterprise B or E that is a very Stylized Galaxy class. Sharp edges and flat surfaces instead of curves. Its not from the Alternate timeline (see real timeline) and looks more like a military galaxy class from this timelines mirror universe.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
knight4light said:
Gammayun said:
Andy Chalk said:
That is not enterprise B or E that is a very Stylized Galaxy class. Sharp edges and flat surfaces instead of curves. Its not from the Alternate timeline (see real timeline) and looks more like a military galaxy class from this timelines mirror universe.
Its hard to make out but it looks like a hybrid of an Excelsior class, a Galaxy class and an Ambassador class. At least in art direction anyway.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
knight4light said:
Gammayun said:
Andy Chalk said:
How is it a galaxy-class if you look at connection to the saucer section there is no thin neck like connection which the enterprise D had, but if you look at the excelsior-class and the Sovereign-class both have this similar connection to the ship in the trailer.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
J Tyran said:
knight4light said:
Gammayun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Its hard to make out but it looks like a hybrid of an Excelsior class, a Galaxy class and an Ambassador class. At least in art direction anyway.
Can't help but think the "body" of the nacelle sections looks somewhat Excelsior class to me. Other than maybe the saucer section, can't see anything that looks reminiscent of the Galaxy class. It'll of course probably turn out to be none of the above, but if you squint a little you can always imagine it as bigger, meaner version of the standard "white" Enterprise. It's being taking a lot of protein shakes and working out a lot at the gym.

Don't really have a problem with this trailer myself....does the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Just a bit further on in that trailer (about 1:29), does Harrison's ship seem to have a gap in the middle of the saucer section? If so, that's no Starfleet ship design I'm aware of.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
MarsProbe said:
J Tyran said:
knight4light said:
Gammayun said:
Andy Chalk said:
Can't help but think the "body" of the nacelle sections looks somewhat Excelsior class to me. Other than maybe the saucer section, can't see anything that looks reminiscent of the Galaxy class. It'll of course probably turn out to be none of the above, but if you squint a little you can always imagine it as bigger, meaner version of the standard "white" Enterprise. It's being taking a lot of protein shakes and working out a lot at the gym.

Don't really have a problem with this trailer myself....does the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Just a bit further on in that trailer (about 1:29), does Harrison's ship seem to have a gap in the middle of the saucer section? If so, that's no Starfleet ship design I'm aware of.
If you pause it at 2:13 you can see a clear view of the ship firing on the enterprise, and I have to admit that does look very Galaxy class to me. So I guess I might of been a bit wrong

Edit: Typed in wrong place, sorry.