Riot Opens Paid Transfers Between League of Legends Servers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Riot Opens Paid Transfers Between League of Legends Servers

For just 2,600 Riot Points (about $20 USD) you can transfer a summoner between European and North American servers.

League of Legends, unlike many other MOBA-style games like Heroes of Newerth and DoTA, has a persistent summoner leveling system. This means that your summoner levels up just like in an RPG, and each level gives you access to more powerful runes and masteries, which can effect the stats of the champion you control in-game. Many players have also accrued a whole collection of champions and skins on their account, so the prospect of starting from scratch on a new server is a daunting one. To ease the minds of those thinking of transferring, Riot has now opened paid server transfers between European and North American servers, costing 2,600 Riot Points (about $20 USD) for a one-way ticket.

European players who joined the North American server prior to June 1st 2010 and weren't able to move to the European platform when it opened will receive a free transfer token. However, Riot are being quite a stickler to the rules for this free transfer, claiming that the majority of your games must have been played from a European IP to be eligible. You can purchase the transfer token from the "others" section of the in-game store, but be warned, transferring your summoner is a one-way non-refundable process! If you make a mistake, you'll have to cough up another $20 to transfer back.

Transferred players will keep their name wherever possible, and will retain level, champions, skins, runes, extra rune pages, summoner icons, IP, remaining RP, hidden MMR, and games played. If your summoner name or username is not available on the server you would like to transfer to, then you will be prompted to create a new summoner name/username when you attempt to submit your transfer.

Your stats, MMR, rune and mastery presets, honor score, previous and unused referrals, justice review rating, and friends list will be lost in the transfer.

The transfer should be instantaneous, although Riot warns that players transferring on patch day will have to wait until both the source and destination servers are finished patching for the transfer to go through. This is good news for Australian League of Legends players who were worried about having to start from scratch when the new Australian servers launch, [http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3277620/riot-confirms-australian-league-of-legends-servers] as we can probably look forward to the same kind of free transfer deal Riot extended to European players who joined the North American server prior to June 1st 2010.

Source: League Of Legends [https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/21172883-Account-Transfer-FAQ]

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
How to make money with MMOs 101 - paid server transfers.

Claim it's a really difficult thing when in reality it is a most simple procedure that is essentially automated.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Option 1: Let's put some effort into it and integrate all NA/EU/AU in the same client, with regional matchmaking options.
Option 2: Let's have a separate client for each region and charge 20$ for transfers.
- The one that comes with the money please!

I wonder for how long can they still stay ahead of hon and dota2 with that attitude.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
Hey guys;

Want a new summoner icon?
Want a name change?
Want to switch servers?

You gotta pay for it. After all it's free to play.

I kind of understand Riot, it's how they make money. But the claiming it's "a very time-consuming process that we really can?t offer on a broad scale" doesn't fly with me.

I know, it could screw the ranking system but they could find a way to make it work.

Anyway I can just "switch" the server priority on Dota2 to play with people from all around the world, change my name whenever I want and have whatever picture I feel like in my profile FOR FREE.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Tenmar said:
The real sad part is that people will pay for this to keep their account simply due to the fact that Riot's grind to unlock all their content is so massive it is the biggest grind in video game history. Yes playing LOL to unlock all content is bigger than all the disgaea games. Not to mention that the players are so report happy that many accounts get banned which means you have to start over. I know players that played since closed beta and had almost all content unlocked and had to start over. We aren't talking months to unlock all the content over again, we are talking at least 4 years of constant play.
Why would you start over? I would rather find an alternative where most of the content is already unlocked for you so that you don't have to pay to win.