Blood Dragon: The Cyber War Live Action Short is Too 80's For Words

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Blood Dragon: The Cyber War Live Action Short is Too 80's For Words

"At this distance, the shockwave will hit approximately thirty seconds after detonation." "I'll kill you in twenty!"

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is out of control. Initially appearing as an apparent reveal trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123105-Far-Cry-3-Blood-Dragon-Is-Neon-Soaked-80s-Action] was a love letter to 80's cartoons. But the Blood Dragon publicity train is showing no sign of stopping, producing a too-80's-for-words live action short: Blood Dragon: The Cyber War.

Just to clarify, that isn't Blood Dragon's hero Rex "Power" Colt slicing up androids with his neon katana, but Commander Bolt Lightning. Yes, that is his real name, and yes, it is awesome. The live action short has just the right amount of b-grade special effects, cheesy one liners, and completely over the top acting to make it a thing of beauty and magnificence.

Could The Cyber War become an actual series, or even a movie? If I could throw money at something to make that happen, you can bet I, and countless others, would. The game as it is now is just a short stand-alone expansion pack to Far Cry 3, but with all the publicity its getting, hopefully it will expand to be something more.

Filthy pirates, as well as players who obtained the game through legitimate means (such as Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/11/hands-on-far-cry-3-blood-dragon/]) have had nothing but praise to offer the game, claiming it is an incredibly stupid satire of 80's action flicks and cartoons, modern shooters and retro platformers. But stupid in a good way, like Ren and Stimpy. It will be released on May 1st, cost $14 and won't require a copy of Far Cry 3 to play.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Corridor Digital makes really good vids. One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
That fight scene, I guess we can add Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus on the list of campy B-movies Ubisoft enjoyed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCfc5T_LwE&feature=player_detailpage#t=6446s

Also, Ubisoft Montreal making a better Duke Nukem game without using money stolen from Sega

LOL

anian

Sep 10, 2008
an annoyed writer said:
One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.
Indeed, very good slightly generic cyberpunkish 80s soundtrack.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So sweet. So, so sweet. I can't wait for this. They've nailed the gameplay with FC3 so now they can make any game they want. I'm glad they are making this. It's not something you'd expect in today's market that is over-saturated with modern military shooters.

I'm also patiently waiting for a Far Cry 3 spaghetti western.

an annoyed writer said:
that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.
It is. You can find the tracks on YouTube. Here's the one from the end of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGx-eH6b3rY

an annoyed writer

Jun 21, 2012
anian said:
an annoyed writer said:
One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.
Indeed, very good slightly generic cyberpunkish 80s soundtrack.
I like the fact that it's a strongly melodic score. It might be cheesy as fuck compared to some of the music we hear today, but to call it bad is a crime.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
That... was... awesome!!!
I can't wait for May 1st to come round, the actual gameplay trailer made this look epic enough already.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
With every trailer I get more and more excited.
This game... I... I might start crying. It's just too good, too beautiful, to be true.
So... much... 80's...

anian

Sep 10, 2008
an annoyed writer said:
I like the fact that it's a strongly melodic score. It might be cheesy as fuck compared to some of the music we hear today, but to call it bad is a crime.
I didn't call it bad, I realize the style was very intentional and I like it.

an annoyed writer

Jun 21, 2012
anian said:
an annoyed writer said:
I didn't call it bad, I realize the style was very intentional and I like it.
I never said you did. Sorry if that was implied.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
80s theme with a overtone of CGI...Why am I the only one commenting about this...

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
WTF did I just see? Like the captcha I got rightly states, why I liked what I saw is...beyond me...