Minecraft Creation More Or Less Apes Mario Kart 64

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Minecraft Creation More Or Less Apes Mario Kart 64

Is there anything you can't build in Minecraft? If an upcoming "Mario Kart 64" tournament is any indication, the answer is "no."

Crafted by a group calling themselves "WorldGoodSquad," MineKart 64 is exactly what the title implies: An attempt by creative Minecraft players to cobble together a playable adaptation of Mario Kart within Mojang's hit sandbox game. As for the results of this high-concept creation, well, you can see for yourself how things turned out in the video embedded at right.

Now in fairness, this isn't so much Mario Kart recreated within Minecraft as it's a Mario Kart track recreated within Minecraft, with a rough, blocky approximation of a go-kart race slapped on top of it. There aren't even any items to collect and launch at your fellow racers.

Still, despite these omissions, and the lack of characters who could pass as suitable doppelgängers of Nintendo's most famous faces, you can't deny the creativity and effort that went into creating an apparently functional go-kart track within Minecraft, a game that otherwise features nothing even remotely like this. If nothing else, MineKart 64 stands as yet another testament to just how far people can push the Minecraft engine, and also how much free time the Minecraft community apparently has. Forget jobs, do these people ever sleep?

If watching that clip piqued your interest in MineKart 64, you'll be happy to hear that a tournament is being set up for the creation. You can find full details on the official Minecraft Forums, including information on how to download MineKart 64 into your copy of Minecraft. As you'd expect, this means that you will need a copy of Minecraft to enjoy the faux Mario Kart action you've just seen.

Source: Minecraft [http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1772797-minekart-64/]

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
So how is anyone supposed to overtake?
It's cool and everything but how would a tournament work, how could someone who starts a the back ever hope to win?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Looks like they used black wool for the track. Were it me, I would have used all obsidian. Buuuuut I'm crazy like that. :p

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's so slow it's painful to watch. I can only imagine how boring it must be to play.

Make it much faster, add some power ups and then we'll talk.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
RJ 17 said:
Looks like they used black wool for the track. Were it me, I would have used all obsidian. Buuuuut I'm crazy like that. :p
It'd look bad though. A lot of effort for nothing, if you were planning on doing it "legit".
Yeah, but like I said: I'm crazy like that. Amongst my friends I'm known for building obsidian monstrosities (and yes, always legit so there's a proper feeling of accomplishment). My most famous creation is a Pyramid of Doom made of roughly 900 blocks of Obsidian and 200 blocks of Glowstone, built in the sky so that the clouds roll just beneath it, with a stream of lava flowing down all four sides and another straight out of the bottom through a hole in the middle. It's my signature piece, and I must construct one on every world I visit. :p

Seriously, you should see the Obsidian Mines I have on one of my worlds. "Miles and miles" of lava-filled caverns converted to obsidian just waiting to be mined. As I said: I'm crazy like that. :p

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
It's so slow it's painful to watch. I can only imagine how boring it must be to play.

Make it much faster, add some power ups and then we'll talk.
Definitely this. Yes, very creative, but the snail's pace and lack of power-ups kind of kills it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
RJ 17 said:
As I said: I'm crazy like that. :p
Or either bored or lazy ;)

If that's your thing, go nuts, but why not invest time in doing redstone, architecture or come up with new builds instead of doing the same thing over and over, that basically only takes time and doesn't do anything?

I have a project that I've been doing on and off for over a year and I occasionally get stuck doing some of the same design, so I force myself to learn new stuff that you don't see as often. Then I go back and replace old builds, getting an overall much better result.

Not saying you're doing anything wrong, do what you like or what makes it fun for you, but if you want to do something that other people like and will praise, colossal obsidian structures aren't interesting. That's my opinion anyway.
Ohhhhh no no no no, don't get me wrong. It's not like these pyramids are the ONLY thing that I build, it's just something that when I first had the idea for it and built it on a friend's world, I was like "I've GOTTA make one of these on my world." So I built one on my world. And as we all know the best part of Minecraft is showing off all your hard work for your friends! Upon seeing it, they actually said things like "Ohhhh I've got a GREAT place to put one of those in my world! Could you come build one for me?" And really that's how the pyramid became my "signature structure". Beyond that, I just have the motto of "If it's worth building, it's worth building in Obsidian." I can spend hours on end down in the obsidian mines mining up stacks of the stuff while listening to a stand up comedy special or some good music. Though yes, it has proven to be a FANTASTIC way to absolutely murder time. :p

But really, I've got a full-fledged Obsidian Castle with towers, an outer-wall, a port, everything. Don't know why I'm so obsessed with obsidian but I am. I just like the way it looks, how it seems to suck in all light even if you put torches around.

As for redstone, I've got a friend who's an absolute genius with it, so I just get him to hop on and help me out whenever I need some. In return, whenever he wants to do something with obsidian in his own world, he leaves his box on (I only have the XBox version) and I'll hop on to mine up some of that delicious black ore for him.

Probably my favorite (and only non-legit) obsidian structure was a fast-travel rail system I made in the Nether World by linking 5 portals (one on each corner of the map and one right in the middle). That thing would have taken forever and a day to do legit so I used Creative on it, but it came out pretty sweet and I was able to do some fun stuff with the tracks.

That said, I don't build EVERYTHING out of obsidian, but it's definitely my building material of choice.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Interesting idea, but I don't think it is "there" yet.

The carts movement is both to slow and to jerky for my tastes. Once the programming relating to the driving being fixed, I can see this being fun.

Dumoras

May 15, 2012
Why is youtube so slow. im getting 24/3 and im getting video as if it were 3/.5

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Smilomaniac said:
RJ 17 said:
I honestly don't get it :D
Probably because I got sick of legit and just went on doing large scale projects in creative.

I think it's one of the ugliest materials, right after yellow wool in vanilla textures, and I just can't mix it with anything. Thank god for texture packs, Mojang has made a fantastic game, but when it comes to textures, they have no clue about color coordination.

If you feel like it, throw me a link to your castle, I'd love to see if someone's been able to make it look good.
I think the dark green wool looks worse, because there is no other completely green block other than lime that has a plain texture, needs a sap green

OP: This doesn't look bad, but you can see several areas which could use improvement

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
RJ 17 said:
I honestly don't get it :D
Probably because I got sick of legit and just went on doing large scale projects in creative.

I think it's one of the ugliest materials, right after yellow wool in vanilla textures, and I just can't mix it with anything. Thank god for texture packs, Mojang has made a fantastic game, but when it comes to textures, they have no clue about color coordination.

If you feel like it, throw me a link to your castle, I'd love to see if someone's been able to make it look good.
As I mentioned, I've only got it for the 360, so I'm afraid I can't link it to you. :(

But yeah, you definitely gotta be careful with it, but I find that it tends to go well with glowstone. But like I said, I like to build monuments out of it, though I've seen some pretty neat looking stuff done with it (mostly kick-ass portal rooms).

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Smilomaniac said:
RJ 17 said:
It'd look bad though. A lot of effort for nothing, if you were planning on doing it "legit".
Why does it have to be done in survival mode to be classed as 'legit'? Creative mode is there for a reason.

I can't imagine this will have been done 'legit' to be honest.

As a programmer, I'm guessing this is basically a mod that creates a kart item, probably similar to the mine cart. Possible some sort of mod so that laps can be recorded too, although it's more likely they just self-referee.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I think it's pretty cool but the best thing about it was the laugh I got out of the "Cobblestone" signs around the track.