Miyamoto Says No to a Digital Distribution Future

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Miyamoto Says No to a Digital Distribution Future

While Sony and Microsoft are waiting for gamers to catch up to their visions of a digital distribution future, Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto is sticking to the tried and true.

For Sony and Microsoft, a world in which all games are sold digitally doesn't seem to be much of a matter of if but when (and when is whenever [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93512-Sony-and-Microsoft-Are-Waiting-for-You-to-Catch-Up] gamers start to catch onto the idea). Nintendo's resident legendary game designer, Shigeru Miyamoto, however, doesn't ever see games, or entertainment altogether, ever completely abandoning the realm of real, physical products.

Not that Miyamoto doesn't see the advantages of digital distribution. "So if you look at digital distribution with the fact that you don't need money for packaging and things like that, it's great," he told the San Jose Mercury News [http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_12969244?nclick_check=1]. There are some things, however, that you'll never be able to accomplish if you abandon selling through retail, Miyamoto thinks.

"Entertainment is something that will not just become digital," he said. "If I look at Wii MotionPlus, this is something that you're not doing via digital distribution."

Well obviously you'll never be able to distribute peripherals through bits and bytes. What about games specifically? Miyamoto just doesn't see it working. "The thing for us is we really don't see the future of video games being merely confined to digital distribution or moving solely or even to a majority of our products being distributed that way," he explained.

Miyamoto, it seems, has an admitted affection for the old world, where you bought things and not just computer files. "Personally, I'm one of those guys who, even if I have all the songs from iTunes, I want the CD as well," he said. "It's something that makes me - I feel more reassured with that physical media."

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I think he'll eventually give into it, although I'm happy with hard copies anyway.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I guess I can see where he is coming from and then does that mean that alot of gaming shops will go out of buisness?

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
While a bit crazy coming from one of the console makers, I kind of like this idea. Digital distribution is nice, but keep this up for so long and I'm sure, if anything, hard drives will become the new huge issue for this, when every single game you own has to be saved on a collection of hard drives, or deleted and redownloaded just to play a game you want to spontaneously.

And if a company gets in trouble, like Sega in the past, and all of its materials are shut down, you lose access to everything you paid for if no one picks it up. Hence why being able to have the CD is nice security for most things, like games, since they are trending towards only being available from a single source.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I was wondering how long it would take for OnLive to scare developers.

However, I still agree with Miyamoto 100%. No amount of Microsoft points could ever convince me to abandon physical retail. It just feels good knowing that you carry the actual source of your product in your arms, rather than in a machine with all your other products.

To put this in a metaphor; buying things digitally is like putting all your products in a shopping cart, and never leaving the store.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I think he's definitely got the right idea. I don't believe there will ever really be a 100% shift to all digital. There's always going to be that physical bit that people will want to hold on to, even if they pay for a digital copy.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
He pointed at why OnLive and its ilk is not the solution to upgrading: The controller must remain in the user's possession, if an upgrade like the Motion Plus (or Natal or whatever your favourite system is adding) comes the users still have to upgrade. The only upgrade it saves them from is processing power upgrades and those are quickly approaching the point where customers just don't care enough anyway.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
For once, I disagree with the man, it just sounds like he's saying 'a completely digitally distributed games industry isn't going to happen because I don't like it'. Maybe it will never completely die out, but with increasing internet speeds (especially when fiber optic cables are adopted on a larger scale) DD could well become the dominant method people buy their games.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
Personally, I'm one of those guys who, even if I have all the songs from iTunes, I want the CD as well
I'm exactly the same. I'm happy to have an mp3 player, but I always buy the CD and put the tracks onto the player from there, rather than download them from the internet. I'm exactly the same with games; I much prefer to have a hard copy of the game, and a manual. I don't really know why, to be honest. I suppose it's just what I'm used to.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
As much as I love using digital distribution methods to get my games I do like the option of being able to buy a hard copy. Why? Digital distribution is only available from a few places with set prices, retail, I can shop around and get it for cheap. ArmA2 and Empir: Total War were £60 for both on Steam, shopping around I got them both for £35.
Don't think/Hope that they'll never fully replace retail distribution with digital distribution, but I don't see the problem of running them side by side and letting the consummers decide.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
Personally, I also prefer to have a hard copy for various reasons. One, there's something about the tangible. Two, having a copy in your hands means it can't be lost if your hard drive peters out or if your console dies and needs to be repaired and wiped. There's also a greater sense of ownership involved, as in you own this physical product and you can lend it, sell it, or eat it if you choose to. Try selling your digital game downloads on Amazon or eBay and see how far you get. Try buying a used copy of a digital game. The industry loves digital because it strips the consumer of power and puts it all right back into publishers' hands.

While having a physical product doesn't always offer customer protection (Valve's VAC bans come to mind), you still retain more rights when you have a physical product as opposed to digital downloads.

Digital downloads aren't generally even cheaper (especially upon release), despite not requiring any outlay for disc manfacture, case, booklet, and shipping to retailers. So basically they cut out the middleman (retailers and game stores and all the jobs those stores provide) and just give more profit to the companies.

I would feel more confident about digital product if consumer rights over it were guaranteed and if the prices reflected their decreased cost. But as for right now, with limited exceptions (i.e. digital-only releases) I would pick a disc over a download any day of the week.

Xris

Aug 1, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
However, I still agree with Miyamoto 100%. No amount of Microsoft points could ever convince me to abandon physical retail. It just feels good knowing that you carry the actual source of your product in your arms, rather than in a machine with all your other products.
Exactly.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
I think this may be a generational thing. Myself, having grown up with CDs and hard copies of things, like the feeling and reassurance of them (part of why I never see books dying out). However, those of later generations who never experienced the actual purchasing of Cds in any other format than digital, may just take it for granted.

Its how I can see physical sales of games dying out anyway.

Apr 28, 2008
If I wasn't in such a shitty relationship with credit card companies, and if my internet didn't suck so much, I would not mind everything going digital.

And plus, how can you replace that new game smell?

Whenever I buy a new game, I take off the plastic and take a giant wiff of that new game smell. Nothing can replace that, ever.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I feel better having a physical CD. If something screws up, all your games could be deleted and probably have to be re-downloaded (you better hope it's free). And you'll have to buy a lot of drives to save them onto. And label them (somehow) so they don't get mixed up. Plus, you don't want to loan your entire library to a friend when they want just one game, right? I'm completely with Miyamoto on this one.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
http://money.cnn.com/2002/03/06/technology/column_gaming/

Yeah, Miyamoto also was complaining about online video gaming many years back and look how that turned out. I don't honestly think I'm going to put any weight into what Miyamoto says about online distribution.

As someone who hasn't bought a physical copy of a PC game in years, I can easily see the advantages of digital. Digital distribution may not completely overtake physical copies of console games in the future, but it will definitely play a big part. Especially as hard-drives for consoles become cheaper and cheaper.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
For once, I disagree with the man, it just sounds like he's saying 'a completely digitally distributed games industry isn't going to happen because I don't like it'. Maybe it will never completely die out, but with increasing internet speeds (especially when fiber optic cables are adopted on a larger scale) DD could well become the dominant method people buy their games.
He isnt. So you dont disagree.
Besides, there are plenty like me who like owning it physically, people who share games, and digital you cant share without the owner being there to download it. Also collectors do exist, and a physical copy of a game is the onyl true way to collect it since its real. It may become popular, but it will never dominate as much as you may think.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I like some digital distribution but I like having a physical copy just in case, because no one can stop you from playing that, though you sometimes can somehow lose the rights to play a game via DD. (via errors etc)