Capcom Unveils Gorgeous Free-to-Play Monster Hunter MMO

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Capcom Unveils Gorgeous Free-to-Play Monster Hunter MMO

A PC Monster Hunter game powered by CryEngine 3 might be worth relocating to China.

The Monster Hunter series has never been able to decide which platform to call home. After the first game was released on PlayStation 2, the series has tried the PSP, Wii, 3DS, and even the iPhone, rarely releasing more than one title for each device (outside of Japan, at least). Now, Capcom and publisher Tencent Games have their collective eyes on the PC, and it isn't going to waste that opportunity. The cult classic series is going all out with Monster Hunter Online: a free-to-play MMO powered by nothing less than CryEngine 3. Don't start reaching for your greatsword just yet, though, if you're anywhere outside China - there's no word on whether or not it'll be coming to other regions as of yet.

From the few details that are available, Monster Hunter Online looks like it'll stay true to the Monster Hunter name while expanding in just about every direction. Plenty of familiar monsters, weapons, and armor will be making a return (with an HD facelift), though expect plenty of new content as well. You can be sure that the new adversaries won't be simple rehashes of previous beasts: one of the new monsters, 大岩龙 (which roughly translates to "big rock dragon"), won't be stopped by any less than 24 players working together - far beyond the 4-player limit of most previous games in the series.

Another new addition to the classic formula is the handful of vehicles that players will be able to use, both for transport and combat. In the game's reveal trailer, you can see one-seat jet skis of some sort, as well as massive airships and boats. Larger vehicles may even serve as dynamic arenas for some boss fights. We'll also see some atmospheric upgrades like a time-of-day system and dynamic weather that can alter some monsters' tactics.

[gallery=1432]

All in all, the game sounds pretty incredible for fans of the series - which makes it all the more heartbreaking that many of us might never see it. Several Monster Hunter titles were never localized outside Asia, and it's a definite possibility that this could be another entry to that list. Testing on Monster Hunter Online begins in June, with no official information about a release for other regions.

Source: All Games Beta [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542352]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Gsh, fuckers.
Give us something over here. Please? I really can't be bothered to get a WiiU or 3DS for this and maybe one or two other games but dammit I need some proper Monster Hunting.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
SWEET DILDOS!

I'm certain there will at least be a Japanese release. I mean come on, it's Monster Hunter. I knew there was a reason I started learning this language. Time to grind me some Kanji.

The game looks glorious. It looks like it will be everything I love about Monster Hunter but on the PC and an MMO. I think Capcom are trying to figuratively suck me off with this. The way that dragon's tail was lopped off at the end had me squealing for joy. And were they water and air vehicles I spied at the end of the trailer?

Very, very much looking forward to this.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I don't get it. Games like this and Phantasy Star Online look great, but major Japanese companies are so scared to release their awesome games in North America and Europe. Yet the F2P MMOs that come out of Korea see some success. Japan really needs to stop being afraid of the market outside Asia, it's hurting them so badly right now.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't know why, but whenever I see any news about a new MonHun, my hype-o-meter fills up to the maximum. It's like magic.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Dear Capcom. If you release this in North America, I will forgive you for all your bullshit transgressions and love you again. Signed, Riley

P.S ALL OF MY WANTS AND ALL OF MY MONIES

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I want it...
I want it, I want it!
I WANT IT!!!!?!

I hope it gets some cross platform action going too.
[sub]Also an Australian release... T_T[/sub]

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
This and PSO2 may be the thing that gets me into MMOs...

That CryEngine 3 though. Not sure if my PC will run it:(

TemperHoof

Jan 14, 2013
Don't get your hopes up. Three words pretty much summarize the fate of all Monster Hunter PC titles in the West/US/EU regions.

Monster Hunter Frontier.

Look it up.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Holy crab... THIS. This is what Monster Hunter should look like. So pretty... *sigh*

Capcom, if you know what's good for you... Localize this sucker on Steam! Watch the profit roll in.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
The one thing that concerns me is that Tencent is involved - I'm not necessarily saying that they are bad, but they are known to have the government meddle with their games.

Also for those who aren't understanding why China's getting their own MMO - Consoles, or at least Nintendo's, have been banned from being sold in China. No Nintendo (or consoles) means no MH, and if China's populace demands MH, then the only MH can be brought over is if one was made for the PC. They've sated the rest of the world's palate with MH3 and MH3U - Expecting them to bring the MMO to the rest of the world so soon after MH3U's release might actually cut into its sales. Besides, if you wanted a MMO, why didn't you ask if there was going to be one before being hyped by MH3U? Yes, that would've been a difficult decision, but that's why you have to be careful with what you openly express interest in.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
TemperHoof said:
Don't get your hopes up. Three words pretty much summarize the fate of all Monster Hunter PC titles in the West/US/EU regions.

Monster Hunter Frontier.

Look it up.
I played a fair bit of Frontier in Japanese and I can honestly tell you the game is pretty shit. You aren't missing out on much.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I do liked the game but I highly doubt I will get it even when they did release it in the UK (no offence but I just find just killing/ capturing the monster and gathering far too repetitive). None the less I do want to see that game to be release outside of Asia.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
In other news, every employee of Capcom suffered severe injuries today after being trapped under gigantic piles of money for an unknown period of time. Near-suffocation and crushed limbs were among the injuries suffered, but the most common injury was the disfiguration of the eyes into the shape of comically-oversized dollar signs. One employee, while being loaded into an ambulance, shouted at the top of his lungs "I regret nothing!" before falling unconscious.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

-cough, inhale, exhale- .... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

omg oh my god, Ozamahgood! I want this, no no, i WANT THIS, i want it NOW! NOW I DEMAND YOU!

i need a new set of pants, this trailer was so fantastic, they CAN'T just keep this in the asia region! Come on, this is seriously a big thing, i'd pay Monthly for this!

Eovik

Jul 10, 2010
Well I... how do I... great hope has come to me this day. I hope this gets released everywhere it looks like the MH I've been waiting years to play. Please PLEASE let this come to NA.