Save Homeworld Fails to Save Homeworld, Makes New Game Instead

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Save Homeworld Fails to Save Homeworld, Makes New Game Instead

After a successful crowdsourcing campaign, the Save Homeworld project doesn't win the Homeworld rights, but pushes forward anyways.

When THQ exploded, its various properties were flung across the heavens for mighty publishers to pluck down for themselves. While popular IPs like Warhammer 40k and Saints Row found safe homes, the fate of many properties remain uncertain. Among the cast-offs is the classic space RTS Homeworld. It's been years since Homeworld 2 and its fans think that it's more than time for a sequel. That was the goal of teamPixel, the group behind Save Homeworld. They used Kickstarter and IndieGoGo to raise the funds in order to purchase the rights to the franchise and develop the sequel themselves. Despite meeting their goals, the project was outbid by another company (which remains unnamed). Even so, they're not letting that stop them.

Homeworld or no, teamPixel is pushing on with their game, undeterred. Their initial plans called for the development of two games: Homeworld 3 and Homeworld Touch. While the former would be a full desktop experience for PC, Mac, and Linux programmed in Unity, the later would be translated for an iOS/Android environment. As cool as a Homeworld return would be, a Homeworld with a touch interface would be more awesome frosting on the cupcake.

The new owners of the Homeworld rights should be announced within a couple of weeks. Meanwhile teamPixel is refunding all the donations they received, so donors should check their Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Paypal accounts for details. Interested parties should keep an eye on teamPixel as more details roll out as they retool the game for the new IP. As thanks for the support, all backers of Homeworld 3 will be credited in the upcoming game.

Source: [a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampix/homeworld-touch-ios-android-and-homeworld-3-pc-mac/posts/456013]Save Homeworld[/a]

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
It was a sad day, lets hope Homeworld was aqquired by a capable firm, with the ability to hire Relic.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
I don't feel the story needs a sequel after the events of Homeworld 2.....but prequel, sequel or even reboot doesn't really matter to me, as long as they think of a good, engaging story and bring back (and possibly improve) the gameplay, it's one of the very few space games were space ship battle actually feel SPACEY, instead of a standard RTS with black skyboxes (yes, you Sins of a Solar Empire....).

Also, the amazing music!

.....and peace and prosperity to the world while we're at it :(((

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I guess somebody out there saw all of the fuss being made about the game, and decided to both capitalize on the potential and crush their hopes simultaneously by buying it.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
^ Than sit on it for 10 years before making a sub-par remake, that these fans could probably blow out of the water.

capcha: mexican wave, lol?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
Hmmmmmm, a company that loves to tr*ll gamers by endlessly delaying the third installment in a beloved series?
Who could THAT possibly be?
Nintendo? I've been informed that people have been waiting for Mother 3 for 7 odd years. :p

What's the bets that we'll never hear of Homeworld again?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
If the company that actually got Homeworld could at least start by talking to GoG.com, that would be awesome. My copy went missing years ago and I'd love to acquire it again.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
kailus13 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hmmmmmm, a company that loves to tr*ll gamers by endlessly delaying the third installment in a beloved series?
Who could THAT possibly be?
Nintendo? I've been informed that people have been waiting for Mother 3 for 7 odd years. :p

What's the bets that we'll never hear of Homeworld again?
Valve. Frankly, it would be awesome if Valve did buy it up. Sure, they remain mostly untested in the RTS zone, but I'd give them a shot.