Ubisoft And EA Take MCV 2013 Awards By Storm

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ubisoft And EA Take MCV 2013 Awards By Storm

Dishonored gets best new game brand, but you'll never guess who won best digital retailer, or the sales triumph award.

The MCV 2013 Awards took place last night, and of those given kudos for their successes in the UK computer and video games industry, Ubisoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123283-Ubisoft-CEO-Thinks-Gamers-Are-Ready-For-Always-On-Consoles] and EA were among the best of the best. Ubisoft came away with four awards - two of them for its latest Assassin's Creed title, which took Game Campaign and Digital Campaign - while EA won two awards. EA probably has the better bragging rights, as it managed to snag Game Publisher of the Year, as well as UK Sales Team.

Meanwhile Dunwall continues to entrance public and judges alike, and thus Dishonored snagged the New Game Brand award. For those of you wondering who, out of all the possible contenders, could have bagged Sales Triumph or Digital Retailer, if you bet on anyone other than Minecraft and Steam, you just lost your money.

The MCV Awards has been going for eleven years now. It's intended to reward commercial and creative successes in several different video games industry fields, including retail, PR and marketing as well as publishing and distribution. You may recall that, not so long ago, Game Publisher of the Year EA won another award, not quite so prestigious: worst company in America [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123161-Electronic-Arts-Repeats-as-Worst-Company-in-America].

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mcv-awards-2013-hard-work-pays-off-for-uk-s-best/0114384]

Dec 14, 2009
Being EA must be a lot like being Nickelback.

Everyone tells you how terrible you are, yet everyone buys your stuff :D

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I know people complain that Internet polls are unfair and skewed, but this is probably worse.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i'm not one of those people that automatically say any opinion differing from my own is wrong and invalid, but...

EA being Best Publisher?

you are wrong, and that opinion is invalid.

Before today I thought MCV was a StarCraft thing. after today, I know it is a... something else I won't be paying attention to.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yeah I found the "Best publisher" award to be a little funny too. Sadly it will only inflate their ego.

I think 2K, Square Enix and Paradox release better games than EA do.

And if anyone didn't expect Minecraft and Steam to win any 'awards' then that's just downright ignorance.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
itsthesheppy said:
Who votes on those rewards? I've never heard about the MCV's before today.
I'm guessing Mr. Bribe has the deciding vote. He is well known for being impartial and fair to the highest bidder.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
well clearly this is an award show run by accountants, yeah EA may have made a ton of money, by that logic, maybe they could get this kind of award if that was the only thing that mattered, now I don't claim to be as well-informed as some others but, from what I understand, EA makes so much money because it does it's best to monopolize as much of the market as it can, and bleed it's customers dry as often as possible with no regard for customer service or in many cases the quality (and sometimes even the functionality *cough Simcity* of the product

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Even if you're trying to avoid bias and/or take bribes, EA is an awful choice for first place. EA has so much negative controversy around it that making it your publisher of the year tarnishes this "MCV"

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So they're awards given out to whoever made the most money? Why does that need to exist? There's already an award for that. It's called "money".

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The best videogame publisher was the one whose CEO resigned for failing to meet financial targets in the wake of a botched game release that was so mishandled it saw the title pulled from Amazon.com

I think I'll let my buddies Penn and Teller handle this one:

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
The word "Best","Publisher", and EA should never even go into a sentence together. That award/opinion is just wrong. I don't care what you tell me, you are just plain wrong.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
unstabLized said:
The word "Best","Publisher", and EA should never even go into a sentence together. That award/opinion is just wrong. I don't care what you tell me, you are just plain wrong.
Not if you were to say "E.A. the best worst publisher ever". Really though... Best Publisher ≠ EA

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
The awards for Assassin's Creed 3 I found a little contentious, but the part that really blew the respectability of these MCV awards is EA as best publisher.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
Who votes on those rewards? I've never heard about the MCV's before today.
Pretty much this, as far as I can tell MCV is pretty much run by suits and giving awards to other suits, based upon some unknown criteria.