Surgeon Simulator 2013 Fumbles Onto Steam

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Surgeon Simulator 2013 Fumbles Onto Steam

[video=7159]

Grab your bonesaw - it's time for another round of physics-based medical malpractice.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 made quite a splash when it was crafted in just 48 hours during this year's Global Game Jam in January. The collective internet had a blast performing a heart transplant with all the grace and finesse of the QWOP guy. Inspired by the game's popularity, Bossa Studios (the four developers responsible for the lighthearted game) decided to run with its success and turn the project into a full game. A couple months later, the game got the go-ahead on Steam Greenlight, and today it's ready to unleash a new set of surgical shenanigans.

If you need to get up to speed on the darkly humorous sim, you can still check out the original game jam-produced game at Bossa Studios' website [http://gamejam.bossastudios.com/]. The Steam version features a number of different surgery scenarios, covering a range of medical operations in several different theaters. The game's launch trailer gives a glimpse of brain surgery in the back of a moving ambulance, which (knowing this game's comedic physics system) should make for an entertaining challenge. You'll have new tools at your disposal to perform these operations, of course, including a laser cutting tool that is almost certain to cause more harm than good. For what it's worth, the game's physics engine has received a tune-up, so it should be easier to do simple things like picking up tools, without downplaying the ridiculous dexterity needed to actually use them.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 will set you back $9.99, or £6.99. The developers say it'll be playable on Windows, Mac, and Linux, so anyone with the guts to play it will be free to spill their unlucky patients' guts all over the floor.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Really don't think the 6.99 price point is worth it. I spose that's down to who ever buys it though.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This game needs support for Razer Hydra and Oculus Rift. This sort of thing is the reason they exist.

P.S. Thanks

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Aww, they took out the cool music from the free version.

Well they kind of had to as it was the theme to the BBC show "Casualty" (basically British for ER)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Okay, I'll give the game a little slack knowing that it was made in only 2 days. Still, $10 is a damn rip-off for a game that's basically just a huge joke, to the point where the trailer even sells it based on the fact that it has lousy physics.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
This was an instant buy for me, as I had an absolute blast playing the browser based version, this game is fantastic for a laugh with some friends.

Alfador_VII said:
Aww, they took out the cool music from the free version.

Well they kind of had to as it was the theme to the BBC show "Casualty" (basically British for ER)
Aw that was the best part :(

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Saw a let's play of this. They added some nice features from the flash version.

BTW, if anyone plays the game, there's a bonus mission if you insert the floppy disk with the question marks on it into the computer.

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
At the moment, this is £4.89 on steam (not sure on $), if the £2 reduction helps people decide to buy it.

So far, I'm horrible at it but boy have I enjoyed it

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
An absolute must-get for everyone.

This is the thinking man's QWOP.

DISCLAIMER: Does not mix well with alcohol, drugs or schizophrenia.