I Can't Stop Playing Borderlands 2

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I can't stop playing either. They wont let me. By the time I finish one DLC they have another one hitting. I'm now deep into Ultimate Vault Hunter mode (any tips on how to get Pearlecent guns are welcome) with my 'Zerker and running through the 2nd playthrough using the Siren with some friends.
I'm going to try the assassin after I finish with the Siren. That's probably another one of the most compelling things about the game (and the original): each character is so different in perks and advantages that I think I'm going to play through this one with every character like I did with the 1st.
With the amount of play time I think I'm going to get out of it, B2 is probably the best value I've gotten out of a game this gen.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I do like both Borderlands titles, my problem with them has always been that the games are more focused on the FPS part of the 'FPS-RPG' description. The various skills are almost all passive, the level cap is always barred at less than a solid triple-digit number, inventory management is more-or-less an afterthought, and the ever-present concern of ammo conservation doesn't mesh well with the RPG mentality. I really hope that Gearbox actually decides to create mod tools/release unbaked code for Borderlands 2, something which they hinted at but never implemented for BL1. Then all of my problems would be easily fixed.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
This is a great article. You write gooder than myself.

I'm looking forward to playing Borderlands 2, I'm just waiting for the GOTY version.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I freaking love Borderlands.

It's the only shooter that I actually enjoy and played a lot. I played it the minute I got it until the wee hours in the morning, and I didn't even care that I had to work early. I remember I lamented in one of the threads a while back about not having anyone to play with me since I had the PS3 version, and some random person found that and we've been playing ever since. I still have no idea who that person is since we don't talk over headsets since he (that much I do know) doesn't have one, but I've had the best non-verbal moments with him. Like one time I was talking will Ellie about some quest and he just went up to the garbage disposal, messed around with it, and then died. It was pretty funny.

I haven't played in a while since a few other games have been getting my attention, but I really should get back to it. I miss killing things for loot and doing things specifically for loot.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
This game has a lot of value. I've got close to 200 hours on it and it still isn't finished with me. All the DLC's have been worth it so far although I was slightly disappointed with Big Game Hunt. But lately, I've been all Borderlands out. Since the start of March, I just couldn't get back into it. Maybe it was the late level cap raise because I really wanted to play around with more builds. But now, I just can't get back into it.

I'm going to list off some reasons why I love BL2:
- Handsome Jack is a brilliant antagonist
- Large variety in enemies
- Large variety in guns
- Side missions feel fleshed out
- Humour is great and never takes itself too serious

What I think BL3 needs:
- More "game-changers" for the skills or more skills in general
- Inventory management needs a huge upgrade for PC
- Vehicle gameplay needs an overhaul (possible customizable vehicles?)
- Rare guns need to feel like they're worth it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I enjoy borderlands 2 but for some reason my interest keeps dropping off midway.

I get back to Sanctuary after it teleports. Probably not a big spoiler but I figured I'd put that info here anyway.

I have 4 characters on the go 1 Maya, 2 Axtons and a Gaige. For some reason, I find getting back into it to be hard. I thought it was because I didn't know the characters they were introducing so I bought, played and beat the first one (weak narrative but I LOVED the combat and Lilith's ability. I like the feel of the guns in the first one better for... some reason, not sure.) and still it's not helping.

I have a feeling I'll get back into it once I finish some more story missions but the urge to do so isn't there right now.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
Rare guns need to feel like they're worth it.
You don't find them worth it? The only ones I find to be lackluster are the Tediore ones because they are usually just some gimmicky reload grenade that's a more effect version of the lesser quality ones. Although, the Baby Maker is pretty good.

Orange guns beat out their lower rarity counterparts in almost every way usually. The only guns that can sometimes be better in some ways are the E-Tech weapons (mostly the Plasma Casters).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eh, I stopped playing consistently a long time ago, mostly because the entirety of the difficulty from True Vault Hunter Mode onward was entirely artificial, and once I got to around level 45, I was pretty much at the mercy of luck as to whether or not I could progress in a sensible manner. (enemies three levels below me could quickly kill me on account of crappy gear, even with a survival build)

There is nothing worse than going from properly challenging, to having to grind for Orange and Purples just to keep up in the stats arms-race.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
Eh, I stopped playing consistently a long time ago, mostly because the entirety of the difficulty from True Vault Hunter Mode onward was entirely artificial, and once I got to around level 45, I was pretty much at the mercy of luck as to whether or not I could progress in a sensible manner. (enemies three levels below me could quickly kill me on account of crappy gear, even with a survival build)

There is nothing worse than going from properly challenging, to having to grind for Orange and Purples just to keep up in the stats arms-race.
This is pretty much what has killed the game for me.
Although didn't mind TVHM, UVHM is where things have gone really really awry.
Browsing the Gearbox forums, I realize I am not, and most likely never was the demographic this game was shooting for.
Tbh I'm not real jazzed about the idea of another game if it's going to continue this "MMO mentality".
: /

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I used to play Borderlands 2 on 360 when it was first released and while I got to the end of the game, I never really cared enough to continue into the higher levels with it as I was playing by myself.

However I acquired the game for PC a few weeks ago and have been playing through nearly non-stop with 3 of my friends. It definitely makes the game more enjoyable and less frustrating when you can shout at people for not doing their jobs have a laugh with friends while turning psychos into bloody red chunks. I don't mind a grind if it's enjoyable and doesn't feel like work, and BL2 doesn't when you are with friends.

Then there's the weapons. Yeah searching through your loot for items and weapons with numbers slightly higher than your current items can be slightly tedious, but it's balanced by the huge variety or effects, elemental or otherwise, that affect each weapon in a different way. Plus the red text that always means a quick tab out to load up the wiki!

Also there's a gun that screams at you when you fire and shouts "RELOADING" when you reload. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpi4jU_hV0U] I wish CoD had one of those.

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
Atmos Duality said:

Honestly, I enjoy that aspect. Every time I get to the point where I think I'm coasting on easy mode there's always a difficulty jump to expand to, though I'm sure they won't increase the level cap again. I like having to try to stay alive in a game.

Different strokes for different folks, though :)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nasrin said:
Honestly, I enjoy that aspect. Every time I get to the point where I think I'm coasting on easy mode there's always a difficulty jump to expand to, though I'm sure they won't increase the level cap again. I like having to try to stay alive in a game.

Different strokes for different folks, though :)
I have no problem with legitimate difficulty jumps. I play roguelikes for pete's sake.
But it got kind of ridiculous to have to connect 9+ headshots in a row with my best sniper rifle to down one enemy in Lynchwood just because I didn't farm a Skullmasher or Maggie before.

And that's the rub of it all; when they do stat-boosts, the only thing you can do is gear up to match it because everything else is still the same. I get that the loot grinder crowd loves this stuff, but I'm just glad I had the first playthrough to ramp up difficulty to where I could get by just buying guns and using what dropped incidentally rather than having to waste hours of my life doing orange runs.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
I loved Borderlands 2 as well..But why can't you stop playing it? I stopped before I even hit 50. The PvP was laughably unbalanced and the PvE was repetitive as hell. After you finished your second play-through and did the "raid"-boss a few times, what was the point? Gear seemed to be easy to come by yourself and unlike other games (like MMO's) there were no real reward for advancing with better gear as there was nothing further to go on with and no real online structure of raiding and guilds which made the whole point of getting gear for e-peen and bragging sort of meaningless.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I much preferred the original game, in much the same way as I sometimes prefer older unwieldy and terribly balanced pen & paper role-playing games over their better designed and far more finely balanced modern incarnations. I played the original Borderlands as a purely solo experience, so it was a special treat whenever I found a piece of gear that better allowed me to take names, kick ass and wreck face. The sequel with it's emphasis placed firmly on the multiplayer experience does away with all that because the focus is on the team experience rather than the individual experience. I can understand then why Gearbox couldn't allow for situations where half of the players are wandering around with completely busted and unbalanced equipment, while the rest of the players are left feeling left like a fifth wheel because they didn't find the right drops.

The entire game was focused on promoting the multiplayer experience over that the individual experience and it grated terribly on my nerves. Although not enough to stop me from polishing off my second playthrough.

Turner Shanks

Mar 5, 2012
I kind of ruined Borderlands 2 for myself, found a rocket launcher with absurd damage that I turned into another rocket itself when it was empty. (loved the animation, to this day it's probably the most hilarious thing I have encountered with a traditional weapon) This weapon was soon dubbed the boss slayer and anytime something difficult showed up I just needed to empty one, maybe two, clips into it and the fight was done. Usually I can voluntarily not use things that make games too easy like that, but the mixture of awesome animations, the moderate difficulty of aiming it right against certain foes, and my general feelings on the game (below) I just couldn't and Borderlands soon become so simple I just lost interest entirely.

Granted it may have just sped up Borderlands fate instead of causing it, I never liked most MMO games or most dungeon crawlers, hell the only reason I bought the game is because my good friends all are fans of the above and I figured I could do what I do for most games and keep things interesting by turning it into a RP experience...which worked for a bit. Couldn't save it from just getting too repetitive after a time however.

Ytmh

Aug 29, 2009
So, was there any point to this article besides advertising a pretty mediocre game?

To be honest, I'm not particularely in love with gearbox' hilarious DLC pratices, nor the fact the game feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be at all. The customization aspects are a bad joke and for a game "all about the guns," you would think you could at least mod your guns, right? As for the actual variety of loot, it's pretty poor in comparison to something like torchlight (the same gun with a thousand little stat variations does not count as new individual weapons, thx.) Also, in a game so heavily bent on forcing multiplayer down your throat, you'd think they would've done instance-based loot, right? Right? What's that? Gearbox is actually pretty mediocre?

Yeah. I stopped playing borderlands 2 rather quickly, so there's some contrast for you.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Stopped playing not long after they nerfed the bee shield. Sorry I don't have 9+ hours to waste on farming a boss for rare loot. I had friends to play with but they're not going to be on all the time and the fact that on the PS3 connecting to a game was like pulling teeth (I had a great wired 3 bar connection) the shit got old fast.

Nerfing the bee shield, shit party system and an over abundance of ass hole AFKs killed the game for me.
I wish far cry 3 had a free roam multiplayer that'd be awesome...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hah I just nerfed my Mecromancer by switching from a keyboard-mapped oldschool logitech gamepad controller to a shiny new xinput controller.

I can't find a way to remap the reload key on the xinput away from the pickup/activate key. So now I'm always accidentally reloading and pissing away my anarchy stack when I just wanted to open a container but missed the hitbox by a couple of pixels.

But yeah B2 is one of my most favorite games of all time. I have no qualms about paying full retails +30 for the season pass.

And the awesome thing is I think it still has YEARS of gameplay in it, since I need to keep leveling other classes to try out all of their abilities and I haven't even tried the raid bosses yet.