Fat Princess Has a Laggy Start, Getting Quick Fix

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Fat Princess Has a Laggy Start, Getting Quick Fix

The launch of Titan Studios' PSN game Fat Princess seemed to have gone well but for one problem: the game's apparently near unplayable over PSN thanks to crippling lag.

Fat Princess launched last week to mostly positive response, but not everything went as expected. As many fans have reported, the game seems to have some crucial flaws in the online multiplayer department: connections to games regularly fail, not to mention that playing online is sometimes subject to fun-killing lag. And nobody likes lag.

Titan Studios is more than aware of the problems, though it seems like they should have seen them coming. As the studio explained in a blog post [http://titanstudios.com/blog/2009/08/update-from-titan-fixes-coming/], the lag issues are caused by the game's matchmaking system, which picks servers based on "a number of criteria." Apparently those criteria aren't nearly stringent enough, because the game happens to sometimes land you on a server with a high ping, leaving you with nothing to do but try another server. Titan does have a fix for the problem already in testing, one that will match you with low ping servers.

The other problem - dropped connections - already has a fix up and running on Titan's machines, and they say it makes a whole world of difference. The studio's trying to get the patch through Sony's testing process, so hopefully we'll see it sooner rather than later.

Both problems seem like they should have never happened, but Titan admits that they never saw them coming. "Fat Princess went through comprehensive testing with Sony in the US and Europe, and a beta, but these issues did not manifest until the game went live at scale," the studio wrote. "Rest assured, we're working on it, and think we have it largely addressed."

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
So the games about a fat princess killing things? A shame, without lag that could be kind of fun.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Oh God another thing for my fellow fucktarded 360 owners to support the lag card
Please Sony fix it, not because I play it but because I don't want to listen to any more damn flame wars

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
Hope they fix it soon.

Inb4 "sony sux" posts.
The Rockerfly said:
Oh God another thing for my fellow fucktarded 360 owners to support the lag card
Please Sony fix it, not because I play it but because I don't want to listen to any more damn flame wars
I concur to both of these posts.

On topic, that sucks. Didn't Castle Crashers go through a similar problem?

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
It's not Sony's fault, it's the developers' and their betatesters'. Either that or it's true that they have tried it troroughly and there is a problem in the testing system, and that would be Sony's fault. Still, these kind of things should allow refunds.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
"HAH S0NY SUX M1CR0S0FT S00000 BETTUR!"

Oh that sucks for PSN users.

Though I'm not sure if I'm that sorry. "Fat Princess". You have to wonder if that's a good game or not. Might have been a blessing in a Ninja disguise.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
None of this would be a problem if they let you use a server list, which more and more games seem to be lacking (much to my dismay).

At any rate, as long as they fix the problem quickly, I don't see it being too much of an issue.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
I haven't noticed any lag...? I play wirelessly too.

Overall its a really fun game, too. Though.. there aren't as many live players to play against (Perhaps because of this lag/connectivity problem?). The NPCs do a pretty great job, though.

Generator

May 8, 2009
Oh, I forgot about this game. Too bad about the lag, but it should be fixed by the time I finally get around to getting a PS3. Hopefully, anyways, because I was really looking forward to this for a while.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I wasn't sure about this game, so it looks like my hesitation came in handy.
If they get round to fixing the lag, I might look into it. Although I am still wary about a game that involves making a princess obese then kidnapping her. At least I think that's what it is, feel free to fil me in.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Of course there's going to be lag. Have you ever tried to fit a fat princess through a series of tubes?

*typing this made me feel dirty for some reason*

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Tenmar said:
At least PSN is better than Games for Windows Live VOIP. I swear since getting DOW2 and Street fighter 4 the VOIP has got to be one of the most critical aspects that should be worked on. There are no settings to control the volume of voice, no push to talk button and half of the time the audio is a mess.
Not to mention that the freaking thing has a hissy fit if you attempt to connect through certain networks. I COULD NOT CONNECT through my school's network, but as soon as I got home: ZING! Everything is a-ok.

Which was sorta annoying since I couldn't get the achievements until I'd already cleared half the game, forcing me to restart.

Well, I still have 1000/1000 of the original points, so I'm cool with it. Now I just have to get all the new DLC and beat it again... *sigh*

Apr 28, 2008
I was going to buy it, but then I saw Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
I'll get this when they fix it.

scotth266 said:
Tenmar said:
At least PSN is better than Games for Windows Live VOIP. I swear since getting DOW2 and Street fighter 4 the VOIP has got to be one of the most critical aspects that should be worked on. There are no settings to control the volume of voice, no push to talk button and half of the time the audio is a mess.
Not to mention that the freaking thing has a hissy fit if you attempt to connect through certain networks. I COULD NOT CONNECT through my school's network, but as soon as I got home: ZING! Everything is a-ok.

Which was sorta annoying since I couldn't get the achievements until I'd already cleared half the game, forcing me to restart.

Well, I still have 1000/1000 of the original points, so I'm cool with it. Now I just have to get all the new DLC and beat it again... *sigh*
Same think happened with my copy of Fallout 3.

Thankfully modders helped me remove it :)

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I had a tiny bit of lag last night, but only on the catapult. Other than that, it worked amazingly well.

Pandazooka

Jun 12, 2009
This is great. Once the patches come though, I can finally play with friends.
FreelanceButler said:
I wasn't sure about this game, so it looks like my hesitation came in handy.
If they get round to fixing the lag, I might look into it. Although I am still wary about a game that involves making a princess obese then kidnapping her. At least I think that's what it is, feel free to fil me in.
It's Capture the Flag, except you can feed the flag cake to make it tougher for the opponent to carry it.