Michael Bay Apologizes For Armageddon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Michael Bay Apologizes For Armageddon

Michael Bay is sorry for Armageddon, but probably not for the reasons you think.

The Hollywood director who never met an explosion he didn't like says he's sorry. In a Miami Herald interview about his upcoming Pain and Gain, which is apparently cut at a much slower pace than his usual "hyperkinetic" style, Michael Bay acknowledged that people have always given him a hard time about his editing style but also insisted that he's actually slowed down over the years.

And then, amazingly, he said he was sorry for Armageddon. "I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks. It was a massive undertaking," he said. "That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could. But the studio literally took the movie away from us. It was terrible."

Making the situation worse, Bay said his visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so he had to take the job over himself. Luckily for him, he knows a guy. "I called James Cameron and asked 'What do you do when you're doing all the effects yourself?'" he added. "But the movie did fine."

Looking at Michael Bay's entry in IMDB [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000881/?ref_=tt_ov_dr], I realize that I haven't actually seen many Michael Bay movies and the only one of the bunch that I actually liked was The Rock. That leaves me a little unclear as to why, aside from that Aerosmith travesty, he feels the need to apologize for Armageddon specifically, as opposed to, say, Bad Boys 2, Pearl Harbor or the whole Transformers thing. I suppose I should be happy enough that he's at least showing a sign of seeing the light, and who knows? Maybe this will be the first of many to come. I'd say a few more are due.

Source: Miami Herald [http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/20/3353317_p3/pain-gain-revisits-a-horrific.html]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The animal crackers scene made me lose it since it was so damn silly.

Maybe Aerosmith can follow Michael Bay and apologize for that song while we're at it, but I don't see that happening.

I can dream, can't I?

PS, I think the movie should've been called, "Armageddon: Because Fuck Physics".

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Michael Bay has a lot more to apologize for. I will not let Pearl Harbor or Transformers go!

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
yea.. THAT is the movie he chooses to apologize for? that the only one of his movies i actually like.

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
Do you honestly think He's going to change his ways and start decrease the number of explosions, if that were the case, he wouldnt be Micheal Bay, just another mediocre director.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Armageddon wasn't bad, it was enjoyable in a popcorn flick kind of way; a perfectly enjoyable way to spend a Saturday night as long as you kept your suspension of disbelief.

I also liked the Rock, I thought it was original, the plot was solid, it didn't take itself too seriously and the action scenes were great.

Pearl Harbour on the other hand was absolute balls, mainly because it focused on real events, meaning a bit of tact was sort of called for, and instead the script took huge liberties with the historical events and added this weird love triangle between the woman and the two men, both of which seemed to spend the entire movie taking turns to apparently die and then miraculously turn up alive just as she confessed her love to the other guy.

Can he pre-emptively apologise for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles he's doing? That one's just gonna be Dead On Arrival. Oh well, Iron Man 3 comes out this week, hurrah!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Colbster94 said:
Do you honestly think He's going to change his ways and start decrease the number of explosions, if that were the case, he wouldnt be Micheal Bay, just another mediocre director.
Now that I think on it, there are several films that could be greatly improved by a few explosions. Just think how much easier Attack of the Clones would be to stomach if the Anakin/Padme romance dialogue had been drowned out by a Trade Federation orbital bombing strike.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
I actually don't mind Michael Bay. I like the over-dramatic action; it's a laugh. Nothing he does is going to leave any lasting memories but his movies are still fun, in my opinion.

Queue no one ever taking me seriously on The Escapist again.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Actually never had that big of a problem with Armageddon. Really enjoyed Bad Boys 2, and I still count The Rock as one of my favorite action movies ever. Ed Harris' portrayal of General Hummel was fantastic and I still find myself watching that movie from time to time.

Never expected the Transformers movies to be good, and never really been interested in them either so that's not such a big deal for me.

But hey, good on you Mr. Bay. Takes guts to admit fault at the blockbuster-level of moviemaking.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Everyone seems to have said what I was going to say (about Armageddon not being the one he needs to apologize for), thus leaving me with nothing to say. So I will say nothing, except to announce that I am saying nothing, because pointlessness is awesome.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I, liked Armageddon?

I mean yeah I was just a kid when I saw it, but it's still a movie my friends and I like to pull out now and again.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Karathos said:
Actually never had that big of a problem with Armageddon. Really enjoyed Bad Boys 2, and I still count The Rock as one of my favorite action movies ever. Ed Harris' portrayal of General Hummel was fantastic and I still find myself watching that movie from time to time.

Never expected the Transformers movies to be good, and never really been interested in them either so that's not such a big deal for me.

But hey, good on you Mr. Bay. Takes guts to admit fault at the blockbuster-level of moviemaking.
The Rock has that rare quality of being somewhat silly, while still being populated by characters who appear competent enough to warrant the suspension of disbelief. I was honestly surprised that it was made by the same guy who did Transformers, because it was actually good.

I certainly agree on it being a good thing he's willing and capable of admitting he could do better in public. I doubt his vision of "better" aligns with what I would consider an improvement, but hey: baby steps.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
So, he apologizes not for taking a true story about an innocent man who was kidnapped and tortured by hair-brained crooks, "Pain and Gain" and turning that into a bumbling crime comedy. Not for what he did to "Transformers." Not to the people that actually live in Armageddon -which is a lovely place that does not deserve its reputation. Instead, he apologizes for that. . . stay classy, Michael Bay.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I actually liked that movie.. and several others.. People really give him a hard time...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Personally I do not think the film merits apology. It wasnt great, but certainly wasnt bad.

If anyone should apologize for the Film Armageddon it should be Steven Tyler and Areosmith for that horrendous song.