Paleontologists Show That Four-Winged Microraptor Ate Fish

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Paleontologists Show That Four-Winged Microraptor Ate Fish

A specimen of the dinosaur Microraptor, preserved in volcanic ash, has served up some new dietary clues.

A particularly well preserved specimen of the dinosaur Microraptor found in China has given paleontologists a tip off that their previous knowledge of Microraptor's diet was a bit fishy. Microraptor, a predator the size of a hawk, had four wings in a biplane arrangement. It would have been able to take short, controlled flights around its arboreal environment to catch small birds and mammals - and, apparently, fish. The fossil, a very complete skeleton with an unfortunately crushed skull, had a variety of fish bones in what would have been its stomach. Indeed, the paleontologists analyzed Microraptor's teeth in light of their new knowledge, and found that they were only serrated on one side. Scott Persons, a graduate student at the University of Alberta who was involved in the study, said that "Microraptor seems adapted to impale fish on its teeth. With reduced serrations the prey wouldn't tear itself apart while it struggled. Microraptor could simply raise its head back, the fish would slip off the teeth and be swallowed whole, no fuss no muss."

This find is the first evidence that a flying raptor would have successfully preyed on fish. Because the specimen was preserved in volcanic ash, the fish bones survived. Among the bones were pieces of fish rib, vertebrae, and skull, all worn by powerful stomach acids. Persons told Science Daily that "We were very fortunate that this Microraptor was found in volcanic ash and its stomach content of fish was easily identified. Now we know that Microraptor operated in varied terrain and had a varied diet." In the early Cretaceous period, 120 million years ago, China would have been wet and forested, with many lakes.

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130422154925.htm]
Image: Emily Willoughby [http://emilywilloughby.artworkfolio.com/gallery/187441]

Not enough science for you? We understand. That's why we serve up a weekly dose of the Geekend Update.

[video=7160]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
We need more four-winged critters.

I can understand why it's rare, though. Other four-limb configurations (like two wings and two talons) would be far more useful. Still....

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Considering that our first successful flight was a biplane, and how many insects have four wings, this just makes sense on the evolutionary chain - Once more efficient methods were found, the old ways were naturally eliminated from successor species.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
It never ceases to amaze me just how much paleontologists can infer from so little.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It never ceases to amaze me just how much paleontologists can infer from so little.
They found fish bones in its stomach so they assumed it ate fish?

On topic, I find this interestingly video game related considering a 4 winged predator sounds like something out of an elder scrolls game or something

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
They found fish bones in its stomach so they assumed it ate fish?

On topic, I find this interestingly video game related considering a 4 winged predator sounds like something out of an elder scrolls game or something
I should have elaborated - the bit where the scientists could draw a picture of the Microraptor's hunting habits only through the serration on one side was what I found particularly fascinating.