Ubisoft Says Complex Gameplay "Holds Back" Splinter Cell

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Says Complex Gameplay "Holds Back" Splinter Cell

Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond says the inherent difficulty of hardcore stealth has kept Splinter Cell from the big-time, so Blacklist will simplify things for gamers who don't like to think too much.

Stealth is hard. Walking into a room with an automatic rocket launcher and turning everyone inside into paste is easy, but stealth is hard. That's why stealth is also, at least for some of us, rewarding. Shooting a dude who's in your way may be more efficient, but getting around him without anyone realizing you're even there is truly the hallmark of the professional.

But it's hard, and in the eyes of the decision-makers at Ubisoft, that's a problem. "One of the things that held [Splinter Cell] back is despite all of the changes that have happened over the years, it's still one of the more complex and difficult games to play," Raymond told Eurogamer. "Even though we do have core fans who are like, 'Oh, I want to have more of this experience,' when you play any other game that has stealth elements, they're all a lot more forgiving than Splinter Cell. I guess Splinter Cell stayed with the most pure approach to that stealth experience."

The solution to that particular "problem," of course, is to simply dial it all down, and so Blacklist will offer a wider range of gameplay options than previous Splinter Cell games. True stealth aficionados will be able to ghost entire levels without using any aids like "Mark and Execute," but the default mode will provide a more "fluid, modern play-style" that won't demand nearly as much from players.

"You can climb up, do 3D navigation and jump over things without thinking too much or pressing buttons," Raytmond said. "Sam does it automatically. The Killing in Motion, being able to Mark and Execute while moving through the map, makes it much more accessible to more of an action gamer."

Before everyone gets mad about the continuing dumbification of videogames, remember that nobody is being forced to play in a "modern" style, it's just an option for newcomers to the franchise who'd rather shoot dudes than dance around them. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, as long as Ubi can pull it off without compromising the elements that originally made Splinter Cell great.

Okay, you can get mad now.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Blacklist-Xbox-360/dp/B0086V5V9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366744097&sr=8-1&keywords=Splinter+Cell+Blacklist] comes out on August 20 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U and PC.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-23-raymond-splinter-cell-popularity-held-back-by-its-complexity]

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
Complex Gameplay "Holds Back" Splinter Cell
After Conviction this has to be one of the biggest lies ever, right there besides Soon?.
Eh, I can't really see why I should go into this with any expectations. Pass, give it a look in a month.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The Splinter Cell games haven't been good since Chaos Theory. I didn't think anything would have changed with this new title.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The last press release to do with Blacklist had me sniffing the air in tentative optimism. This just slammed my face back onto my desk.
Fappy said:
The Splinter Cell games haven't been good since Chaos Theory. I didn't think anything would have changed with this new title.
Hey now, Double Agent was decent.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
After reading all of that I... I'm angry but not because of the game being "dumbed down" as using the features that make it show are apparently optional.

I'm angry because I feel slightly insulted that the developers think I need balls to the walls action and shooting to make a game interesting to me.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Next Ubicrap will need to tackle that issue of 'aiming' , and that horrible notion of 'losing' , and regenerating HP is not enough and will need to go the no health lost path... otherwise someone out there may actually lose in a game and get upset.

... gonna be sick *blearrgghh*

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
so Blacklist will simplify things for gamers who don't like to think too much.
Ow... OOOW... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW... to painful to listen to!

Isn't this what easy mode is?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So they are breaking out the chest-high-walls for this one? That counts as stealth I guess, in the same way that whack-a-mole is a stealth action game.

I remember playing the original Splinter Cell on the Xbox, jumbo controller in flight between me and the wall because I was pretty crap at it. But when I managed to finish a level it felt great, I'd finally won and achieved something. That's obviously not profitable enough.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond says the inherent difficulty of hardcore stealth has kept Splinter Cell from the big-time, so Blacklist will simplify things for gamers who don't like to think too much.
I know I certainly won't give this game a second thought
BADA BING. Outta the park.

So basically the best game is the game that plays itself?

I'm all for intuitive controls, but I'm sure the people who would rather push the stick forward are something like 10% of the actual demographic, and the other 90% just don't make it known that they'd rather play the game themselves.

I absolutely abhor, loathe and despise the use of the term 'dumbing-down' because it implies that complexity=intelligence, which I don't find to be the least bit true. But when a developer makes that kind of comment about their audience, in a statement, phrased like that; then one gets the impression that, "Hey, maybe they *do* think I'm dumb."

anian

Sep 10, 2008
"Complicated" gameplay is bad for games, while basically calling most of the gamers stupid is good for selling games?

Raymond apparently does not know her customers (as in she is not familiar with the market or the examples which prove she shouldn't be saying stuff like this), she apparently hasn't played Splinter cell games (they're not that hard), clearly doesn't know the difference between what SC games offer and what makes them sell (as mentioned -> the latest Jimquistion episode). End result of that being that funds are being pushed to areas which will probably only make the game lose money in the end or make it less money.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I like the first one because if it´s "complicated" gameplay (you know, sneaking in shadows is really really complicated!), if they made another one like that, i would probably buy it and play it, but the new one looks boring and uninteresting. I don´t really care much for games that go for mass appeal, it just waters down the experience for those of us that craves a game like Splinter Cell. I´d rather have a cheaper game that was tailor made for me, than an expensive game that´s tailor made for everyone in the world, while it truly pleases no one.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
This is what it feels like to be in the middle of the spiral.

This is our Reality Television, folks. The triple-A scene is Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
I wonder what they're trying to achieve? Create the worst game ever? Get a EA AWARD for destroying a good franchise in the most spectacular way? What?
I think Medal of Honor: Warfigther won that for EA for the next decade or so, with Sim City cementing that.

OT: Fucking really? Because I think we could use a bit more fanciful stealth games about. How much money did Bethesda make from Dishonored again?

Didn't Metal Gear Solid just hit some 33 million franchise sales? I mean I know there's been varying complexity in MGS but you can hardly call it a pandering affair for the foaming at the mouth CoD-teens.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I bought Conviction for £3.24 in a Steam sale, completed it once in a handful of hours and haven't touched it since. Even at that price it didn't feel like particularly great value for money and the whole experience was just so simple and watered down, as many have said it so often seemed to be playing itself. Apparently that's good enough.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Wait wait wait.
Hold up

Conviction was *looks again* "Complex and difficult" ?

It was one QTE fest, even the shooting was one big QTE.

I do wonder how they are gonna pull this whole "ghost" style off. I think best would be to use it as a difficulty choice (kinda like with hitman, you don't got instinct when on professional difficulty) That all the M/E, auto jumping and Press E to slap sam and make him do stuff is simply unavailable.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Remember Chaos Theory? Do you remember how Sam Fisher was a Third Echelon Spy? Highly skilled, used the environment and gadgets to get around situations. The enemies were brutal and clever, so combat became a non-option because Sam was a human being who had to rely on his cunning skills in order to overcome the odds.

Now lets look at Conviction: Sam is a mass-murdering lunatic that could channel sheer power through regenerating health, the game practically doing the shooting for you, making enemy AI ridiculously stupid by announcing their whereabouts and actions. Sam should not have to kill in the first place, it should be a last resort.

You effectively nullified the core aspect of Splinter Cell: Being invisible, and using agility and wits to infiltrate enemy compounds to achieve your goals.

Go back to your Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory roots and make the core premise of the series relevant: Stealth!

It's meant to be a third-person stealth game, with combat elements.

Not a third-person action game, with stealth elements.