[Update] Join The Escapist Live for Dead Island: Riptide

Encaen

May 6, 2005
[Update] Join The Escapist Live for Dead Island: Riptide

This might look familiar. This, too. And that.

Update: We are now mercilessly slaying zombies live on Twitch! Check out the stream right here [http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine].

Dead Island was good, and Riptide is basically the same game, which makes it good by proxy, right? Right? Well, not exactly. It's not bad, strictly speaking, but I understand that Twitch.tv [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10298-Dead-Island-Riptide-Review-Better-Off-Dead] at 4ish o'clock Eastern time today. Not only will you get to see Riptide in all of its zombified grotesqueness, you'll also get to hear the witty banter of your favorite Editor-in-Chief and mine, Susan Arendt, alongside The Escapist's Managing Editor, Mike Wehner.

Our co-op stream will go live promptly at 4ish Eastern time, give or take a few minutes, at which point you'll be treated to multiplayer zombie slaying at its finest. Chat up your favorite editors in the Twitch.tv chat, or just lurk like yours truly and take in the tropical scenery.

Not familiar with the series? Dead Island was something of a phenomenon back in 2011, Zombie Bait fiasco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9114-Dead-Island-Review]. Just as the press leading up to Riptide wasn't nearly as positive as it was for the original, review scores have similarly failed to keep pace with its predecessor.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Meh. I'm kind of pissed at Riptide for the moment. I was at the end of chapter 5 with all of the optional stuff taken care of, and my save got deleted from a patch that was meant to fix the multiplayer which didn't work. (It still doesn't work, by the way.)

Then when I remade my character, near the end of chapter 3, somehow it 'removed' my Fury skill. So I had to rebuy that, and it deleted the rest of the points I'd put in that tree without changing my level. So I had to remake the character AGAIN.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
So what will be the better horror - Watching a bad game, or seeing the faces and hearing the words of two horrified editors?

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
Kopikatsu said:
Meh. I'm kind of pissed at Riptide for the moment. I was at the end of chapter 5 with all of the optional stuff taken care of, and my save got deleted from a patch that was meant to fix the multiplayer which didn't work. (It still doesn't work, by the way.)

Then when I remade my character, near the end of chapter 3, somehow it 'removed' my Fury skill. So I had to rebuy that, and it deleted the rest of the points I'd put in that tree without changing my level. So I had to remake the character AGAIN.
Look at the bright side, you are probably a pro at that character by now.

OT: I may tune into this, I'm still on the fence for this game. I loved the first one, I am just kinda off put it is supposedly exactly the same as the last one. Instead of making it dead ISLAND they could have changed the scenery a bit, maybe dead MOUNTAIN where this happens at a massive ski resort. If anything else I'll wait for the price to drop or an inevitable 75% off sale on steam in a few months.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I loved the first game so I bought it when I saw Green Man Games had it for $32 with the preorder dlc. My only problem with the first game is the crackling in my Razer Megalodon headphones. It's still downloading on my desktop so I don't know if that was fixed but it runs great on my laptop.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Been playing the game trying to take care of every single sidequest and it's taking forever due to how random the item spawns are. Still though I threw a scottish dirk at a zombie and hit him right in the crotch so I'd call that a win.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I damn near choked on my water when they were driving around in the boat the first time.

So glad I dropped in to watch this since I was bummed that the game actually sucks a big one.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I dunno how much of an issue it was during the live broadcast, but in the recording of it, Susan is really really quiet.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I was playing the game last night and all but one place I tried to enter crashed the game... can't believe how that made it through QA.