Watch Three Years of Solar Activity in Three Minutes

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Watch Three Years of Solar Activity in Three Minutes

The Solar Dynamics Observatory has been in the sky for three years - here's everything it has ever given us.

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) went up in early 2010, with a mission of furthering our ability to monitor and understand the sun. Ever since, it has been streaming back important science - and notifying us of solar weather events, like plasma rain on the surface of the sun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122317-Video-Shows-Plasma-Rain-on-the-Surface-of-the-Sun], for example. To celebrate three years of the SDO's flight, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center has released a fantastic video that compiles three years of solar activity into three minutes. What's most interesting is that the sun is nearing the peak of its 11 year cycle - the solar maximum - so these three minutes are three minutes of the sun becoming more and more active. The video has two images a day for all three years.

The SDO's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly takes a picture of the sun every 12 seconds. The images in the video are at a wavelength of 171 Angstroms - that shows us solar material at about 600,000 Kelvin. There are some brief moments of interruption in the images, which are a couple partial eclipses of the sun by the moon, two times the spacecraft rolled, a massive solar flare, the comet Lovejoy, and the transit of Venus. By the way, NASA wants you to know how stable that image is for a spacecraft orbiting the earth at 6,786 miles per hour while the earth is orbiting the sun at 67,062 miles per hour. Just saying.

If that wasn't enough science - and trust us, we understand that - then check out the Geekend Update, our weekly science show.

[video=7160]

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
TheRightToArmBears said:
I just sat and stared at that for three minutes listening to Rolo Tomassi at full blast. Who the fuck needs drugs?
Get juiced on SCIENCE.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Science!!!!

Kept looking at this seemingly delicate thing thinking, without it, we'd all be dead. Sobering.

TheRightToArmBears said:
I just sat and stared at that for three minutes listening to Rolo Tomassi at full blast. Who the fuck needs drugs?
Is that really the musician's name!?! In one of my favorite movies, "L.A. Confidential" that is the name of Detective Ed Exley's imagined "the one who get's away with it".

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
JonB said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Get juiced on SCIENCE.
I'm trippin' Bucky balls.

Gorfias said:
Is that really the musician's name!?! In one of my favorite movies, "L.A. Confidential" that is the name of Detective Ed Exley's imagined "the one who get's away with it".
I believe that is what the band is named after.

Perfect fit, no?

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Well, time to feel like a tiny insignificant speck on the verge of death, again.

Actually, aside from realizing how dangerous that gigantic ball of flaming flame is. And how tiny it is in comparison the black holes in our own backyard and huge massive stars out the like Vy Canis Majoris. I am reminded that the poor sun is aging. And will die and take us with it if we don't get our act together and find another place to live and another source of energy in the universe.

Oh sun, don't die on us before we can find someone else. We cannot live without you right now! Literally...
And oh universe, do not rip us apart before we can escape. A few billion years be too short for this great phenomenon that is life.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Well, time to feel like a tiny insignificant speck on the verge of death, again.

Actually, aside from realizing how dangerous that gigantic ball of flaming flame is. And how tiny it is in comparison the black holes in our own backyard and huge massive stars out the like Vy Canis Majoris. I am reminded that the poor sun is aging. And will die and take us with it if we don't get our act together and find another place to live and another source of energy in the universe.

Oh sun, don't die on us before we can find someone else. We cannot live without you right now! Literally...
And oh universe, do not rip us apart before we can escape. A few billion years be too short for this great phenomenon that is life.
"Stardust,
Lady Stardust spread your hair a
Cross your universe of magic,
Let us in.

Let's fly into the Milkyway,
Climb these concrete walls
And say, don't ever close us in"

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
TheRightToArmBears said:
Gorfias said:
I believe that is what the band is named after.

Perfect fit, no?
Cool! Thanks, now, listen to the music you posted and watch your Avatar. Caused me to fall off my chair and onto the floor.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
It was cool to see all the strange patterns on the surface of the sun in the start of the vid it even looked like the sun hada face on one side. It also interesting to note the light in tensity differences on the surface with most of the sun looking kind of darker in contrast to all the intensely bright spots.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Videos coming out of the Goddard Space Center, specifically those that are part of the NASA Heliophysics projects, never cease to amaze.

Just a few months ago, they released one featuring a coronal mass ejection that was even more jaw-dropping than the video featured in the article:

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
EstrogenicMuscle said:

We are asking if people would like to go to mars, the fact that the sun will die in a massive shitload of years and we took less then 300 years to get to mars is a good sign.

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
What a breathtaking sight, the universe truly is an amazing work of art.

Heh, makes me want to start up on EvE again and go sundiving in Piak.