Next Xbox Debuts In 26 Days

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Next Xbox Debuts In 26 Days

It's official: Microsoft plans to unveil the successor to the Xbox 360 in less than a month.

Come Tuesday, May 21, Microsoft will finally pull the trigger on revealing the next Xbox. According to a new entry on the blog of Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, the computer giant plans to host a special, invite-only press event at which it will debut the system. This reveal will also be simultaneously streamed on Xbox.com, Xbox Live and on the Spike TV network, for those unable to attend the conference in person.

"On that day, we'll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future," Hryb writes. "Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we'll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games."

While that's the entirety of what Microsoft is willing to reveal at the moment, we can deduce a few things from the nature of this event. First, as it's being streamed "globally," it's safe to assume that the 10AM PST press conference will be light on technical specifics and heavy on PR-approved bombshell revelations. We expect a major focus on how powerful the next console will be, as well as its undoubtedly novel online functionality. Hopefully Microsoft also offers us a final name for the machine, as referring to it as the "next Xbox" or the "Xbox 361" is growing very tiresome.

What we don't expect to see at the event is a full rundown of launch titles and big-name exclusives destined to appear on the device. If I had to guess, I'd imagine that Microsoft wants to hold off on its important software-related announcements until E3, where it will be able to coordinate with any number of important publishers and developers who will also be in attendance at the show.

Unfortunately, we also don't expect much in the way of useful gameplay footage or first-hand, unbiased impressions of the machine. Instead, the May 21 reveal will likely focus entirely on Microsoft's best efforts to promote the machine in as sterile and controlled an environment as possible. The company has a lot riding on this event, and as such it will want to dictate everything that's to occur, down to the smallest detail. We may see more useful information emerge at E3, though that may not occur either.

Honestly, it's still too early to tell how any of this will go, so instead, we invite you to take to the comments for one final round of wild speculation on where Microsoft plans to take its console initiative. Will it greet you at the door with hugs and compliments? Maybe the new machine will distribute frosty beverages during gameplay? Whatever the case, we're eagerly awaiting May 21.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2013/04/24/xboxreveal/]

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
They got an uphill battle to deal with after all the insanity that has been going on with the Xbox 360 dashboard applications and advertising. At least we will finally get to see the finalized specifications on the console.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Finally. I hate xbox live so much hope at least they change that aspect of it. And we can finally settle the always-on speculation.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
O. M. G.

I just kalzdorked in my bozjinkers.
The quitzlpulgation is palpable.
Maybe I should have that checked out.

Make no mistake, MS and Sony could release anything they want and it will sell. My predictions are for lower performance than the last level of hardware, though.

But why is it all the really neat stuff is on Steam, and the only game I missed out on by not having a playstation or xbox was Red Dead Redemption? Because this gravy train is leaking.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Clearly since it'll be next gen the question is, instead of having to wait for the pizza to be delivered by some measly human, can we download it straight to our disc drives?

OT: I'm just glad that we'll finally be getting at least some sort of information about the damn thing instead of rumours being spread like wildfire.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Well, here's hopping their Console Announcement is better then the PS4's. They better dispel the rumors of Always Online, or else I will be unhappy.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Well, turns out my birthday is on a Wednesday this year. Hopefully it won't be ruined by an underwhelming reveal of the 720.

I just hope that they learned that no one likes having ads on the dashboard, or always-online DRM. And I hope that since they've learned it, they'll make sure the new Xbox has neither. But who knows, they'll probably give the controller a 'share' button, and talk about how good the rain looks.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hmmm, well unless you pull about 10 new franchises with varied genres and appeals out your ass microsoft i'm just not interested. Especially if any of the rumours are true or I have to play for online play.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"Maybe the new machine will distribute frosty beverages during gameplay?"

First good thing I hear about next gen consoles.

Put in a coffee brewer* and this is going to rule the market.

*actually a Samowa, so you can make tea and instants, too

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I'm interested. Interested to see what revelations occur. Always online? No pre-owned? Too much focus on entertainment beyond gaming? Kinect 2.0 fail?

I doubt I'm going to get all the answers I want. But I've really enjoyed the Xbox 360 over the years that I might stretch to a purchase if they dazzle me.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
While Earnest isn't expecting anything important to be talked about, I am interested in the bombshells...

...wait, wild speculation, you say...

The NeXtbox will feature the live beating heart of an orphan child!
It's designed to spritz LSD into your face whenever you put in a new disk!
It'll feature a women's voice that constantly reaffirms your manhood!
The man's voice reaffirming femininity option will be released six months after launch!
If you try to play a used game, it'll release deadly deadly bees into the room!
Then, after you're dead, it'll lift a corner and spray dirty coolant onto your lifeless face!
It'll require the receipt of any new game and will adjust it's quality according to how much you paid!
And much much more!

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I wouldn't buy the next xbox even if it teleported in whores to my living room (hmm.. then again...).
Everything I've heard about the console thus far has been negative, and completely assured me that my decision to stick with the PC is the correct way to go.

Then again, miracles have been known to happen. Still a bit interested to hear what MS has to say about it, and to see if this always-online rumor has any truth to it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope to see the always on rumour disproved and backwards compatibility confirmed *fingers crossed*

Also I know that this isn't important but the 21st of May is 27 days away from the 24th, not 26

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
The ONLY thing I want to know is if Crimson Dragon is coming to the next Xbox or, hopefully, is still planned for a 360 release.

Screw everything else.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
They'll confirm non-always-on-DRM, preowned games are fine, the console is cheap, there are no social gimmicky things and Fallout 4, a new Mass Effect, Red Dead 3 and Monster Hunter 4 are all exclusives and then angels will descend from the heavens because it is too good for us all.
But in reality, they don't really need to try hard to beat PS4.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
Hmm, sorry Microsoft, I will be much too busy that day listening to the new Daft Punk album whilst hooting like a madman.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Ok... So why the 21th of may? I take it they already know what is in it, what it can do and what plans it has. So why announce that in 26 days it will make an announcement? That's just stupid, meaningless PR crap to hype up but how can it with nothing new. They could do the announcement now or just wait till E3. This is idiocy at it's worst.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
For I second I thought you meant that it launches in 26 days. Didn't think that Microsoft was a fan of the Apple strategy.