Heavenly Sword CG Movie On The Way

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Heavenly Sword CG Movie On The Way

Nariko is getting her own movie.

That Ratchet & Clank movie trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-trailers/7173-Ratchet-and-Clank-Movie-Official-Trailer] sure came out of nowhere, huh? Here's another tidbit of news from a little further out of left field; A studio named Blockade Entertainment is working on a CG movie based on Ninja Theory's Heavenly Sword.

The movie is currently in production at the studio and was scripted by Drive Angry writer, Todd Farmer. Anna Torv will be returning to voice Nariko, but unfortunately, Andy Serkis won't be reprising his role as the evil King Bohan. Instead, Bohan will be played by Alfred Molina, who you'll most likely recognize as Doctor Octopus from Spiderman 2.

Though often referred to as a flop, Heavenly Sword actually wasn't the expensive catastrophe many seem to think. It sold relatively well for a new IP, clearing a million copies sold, even as the PS3 struggled to match the install base of the 360. It received a warm critical response, with a Metacritic score of 79 and a generous user score of 8.4. But the game isn't really remembered for its mechanics as much as its bizarre plot - courtesy of Mirror's Edge pensmith, Rhianna Pratchett - and its stellar voice acting.

Heavenly Sword isn't exactly a huge franchise at this point, its planned sequel having been scrapped years ago, but, much like Ratchet and Clank, Noriko did appear in the recently released PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Could this be a start of a movie series based on those characters? Is there a vague possibility of a Gravity Rush movie, or alternatively, an 8-Mile-esque Parappa the Rapper movie? Please let that be the case.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ratchet-clank-games-get-film-treatment-exclusive-1200409274/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sad by the lack of Andy Serkis.

Glad by the inclusion of Alfred Molina.

Sad by the fact they're even making a Heavenly Sword movie. *sigh*

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
It must be a pet project of the producer since I don't see anyone clamoring for more heavenly sword. Most anyone remembers it as a God of War ripp-off anyway.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Am I the only one that noticed that they referred to her as Noriko AND Nariko in the article?

I liked the game. I even primarily used the costume pieces from it in LBP.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Game is fantastic, no need for a movie, but good luck anyway and I hope it shakes out well.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Perhaps this and the Ratchet and Clank movie are proof of concept projects to show that Sony's intellectual property have the ability to carry a feature length film to turn them into multimedia franchises?

It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to try and turn them into more recognised franchises (granted Ratchet and Clank are already very well known) and relaunch/launch them on the PS4.

Grey Carter said:
its bizarre plot - courtesy of Mirror's Edge pensmith, Rhianna Pratchett
Wouldn't Rhianna Pratchett be better known now for the Tomb Raider reboot?
Although I didn't know about her work on Mirror's Edge, which is pretty cool.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not entirely sure it merits a movie, and there's more chance of them ruining the poor little game than it being an unexpected success. Also, *Nariko.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Ok, ok.
That's all fine but one quick question.
Why tie what could be a good movie with what I can only assume to be a great writer, to such an unmemorable IP.
It wasn't that good of a game.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Is there a vague possibility of a Gravity Rush movie, or alternatively, an 8-Mile-esque Parappa the Rapper movie? Please let that be the case.
Okay, I honestly hate you for putting those ideas into my head because now I really want to see those happen. But I also never want to see that happen because assuming a Hollywood release, I just know they'd both suck.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
If its good then cool, i really liked the game and yes the story and the Yahzee quoted 'Twing Twang' all was a bit odd but hey it was good just a little crazy.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I didn't realize the movies were coming from the ReBoot series studio. That's pretty cool even though they were relevant more than 10 years ago. And so was Ratchet and Clank. Wow. How old am I?!

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Good to know Noriko is getting her own movie.

Would rather one about Nariko though. :p

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Indeed, this seems out of nowhere and somewhat ridiculous.

What would be amusing (to me, anyway) would be if Disney announced a "Star Wars: Battlefront" companion piece movie. For once, the fanboy rage would be entertaining.