Visit Miiverse From Your Favorite Web Browser

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Visit Miiverse From Your Favorite Web Browser

After months of waiting, you can finally view Nintendo's Miiverse social network from the comfort of your favorite web browser.

When Nintendo first announced Miiverse, it was heralded as the solution to all of the firm's baffling issues with establishing a viable, forward-thinking online identity. Microsoft has Xbox Live, Sony has the PlayStation Network, but for the entirety of the moribund current console generation Nintendo has been saddling players with the archaic Friend Code system. Realzing it needed to take to take a strong, decisive leap into whatever century this is, Nintendo lifted key design ideas from Facebook, and the two aforementioned gaming services, to create a new system that is simultaneously social and yet decisively focused on gaming.

Of course, as with all social networks, things weren't quite as rosy as they initially seemed. Nintendo promised long ago that we'd be able to access Miiverse from any web browser, but for the longest time the only way to view your friends and share crudely-drawn illustrations was by firing up the nearest Wii U.

That all changed yesterday though, as Nintendo revealed the Miiverse web portal, a simple site that functions exactly as you'd expect. From the web-enabled Miiverse, you're able to view your friends list, chart your gaming activities and read comments from the various games' communities - basically everything you can do from the Wii U iteration of the service, save actually playing games.

(Yes, you're very clever for pointing out that the Wii U has a limited selection of software available at the moment. Gold star for you.)

If you'd like to take a look at the service for yourself, it's as simple as clicking the URL linked at the bottom of this article. Once there, you'll need to enter your Nintendo Network ID and password, and then you're set. Easy peasy.

As Tom - every new social network needs at least one Tom - points out, the web-enabled Miiverse is still in beta, so there are slight differences between what you'll find at the link and what you'd see on your Wii U. Tom explains [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADMUKlW4uoU0Q]:

You'll still be able to comment to posts, check out communities, and give Yeahs, among other features. This means you can take Miiverse on the go, so you'll never have to be away from it again.

... or maybe he doesn't.

So, who's excited to see Miiverse on the 'net? Cynicism aside, this does seem like a positive first step for Nintendo. Now if only the company can expand Miiverse at a rapid clip, the firm could really get a leg up on the competition, whose next-gen online offerings are still largely a mystery.

Source: Miiverse [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/]

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
They didn't keep it Wii-U exclusive. Nintendo... are you feeling Okay?
I have to ask ? we've been wondering in the news room ? what's with you rushing to post the first comment on every story? Often it's pretty apparent that you don't read the text before typing up your comment. So, why do you do it?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I have to ask ? we've been wondering in the news room ? what's with you rushing to post the first comment on every story? Often it's pretty apparent that you don't read the text before typing up your comment. So, why do you do it?
Hey! I read the whole article! This was just the one aspect I felt like commenting on.
Have I been rushing to post first comment? Well... yes I like getting to articles early so that I can say something that won't just be repeating what someone else has already said. And as long as I'm bothering to comment I like to know people are reading it. I've gotten to some articles early today, but it's not as though I'm always the first to post. And there have been PLENTY of articles that I did read the all the text and I didn't comment on. If you want me to contribute more to the discussion fine, but most of what I could say feels so obvious and over discussed (at least to me) that it's hardly worth mentioning. Would you prefer I went back to making puns for each one? Haven't been feeling very inspired to do that recently TBH.
No need to be defensive. We aren't upset at you. Just curious.

And, now that I think of it, vaguely curious as to how you know whenever a new piece goes up. Do you have a really awesome RSS reader?

And no, don't go back to the puns. Anything but the puns.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Would you prefer I went back to making puns for each one? Haven't been feeling very inspired to do that recently TBH.
Yes! :) Please do! I saw a good one on twitter today: 'The sparrow is no longer the most common bird in the UK, that honour now belongs to Jodie Marsh!' :D

Earnest Cavalli said:
I have to ask ? we've been wondering in the news room...
Is the news room an actual room...? I presumed it was just a name! What is the room like? How many of you are in there? Can you leave...?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
And, now that I think of it, vaguely curious as to how you know whenever a new piece goes up. Do you have a really awesome RSS reader?
I would really like to know this. I am impressed by your post-fu.

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes! :) Please do! I saw a good one on twitter today: 'The sparrow is no longer the most common bird in the UK, that honour now belongs to Jodie Marsh!' :D

Earnest Cavalli said:
I have to ask ? we've been wondering in the news room...
Is the news room an actual room...? I presumed it was just a name! What is the room like? How many of you are in there? Can you leave...?
We cannot leave. Send help.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
JonB said:
They occasionally slip packets of dehydrated soy under the door, but otherwise we only see sunlight ... HEY! GET BACK ON TOPIC!

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Having logged in and poked around the online Miiverse, this is actually something I could see myself using. Now all I need is friends who, you know, actually have Wii U.

That said, the depth of work people put into their Miiverse doodles is incredible.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
JonB said:
Having logged in and poked around the online Miiverse, this is actually something I could see myself using. Now all I need is friends who, you know, actually have Wii U.

That said, the depth of work people put into their Miiverse doodles is incredible.
This I will agree with. Some of the Willem Dafoe artwork (thanks to good ol' Jim) on the Rayman Rabbids Miiverse thing is fantastic.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Earnest Cavalli said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hey! I read the whole article! This was just the one aspect I felt like commenting on.
Have I been rushing to post first comment? Well... yes I like getting to articles early so that I can say something that won't just be repeating what someone else has already said. And as long as I'm bothering to comment I like to know people are reading it. I've gotten to some articles early today, but it's not as though I'm always the first to post. And there have been PLENTY of articles that I did read the all the text and I didn't comment on. If you want me to contribute more to the discussion fine, but most of what I could say feels so obvious and over discussed (at least to me) that it's hardly worth mentioning. Would you prefer I went back to making puns for each one? Haven't been feeling very inspired to do that recently TBH.
No need to be defensive. We aren't upset at you. Just curious.

And no, don't go back to the puns. Anything but the puns.
I generally hate puns on principle, but I kind of miss seeing his puns in every news thread. It felt like it was... tradition... or something.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Well, you just let him know that it's got your guys' attention. So good job with that.
*Stay on target...*
I'd say it's not a great RSS feed... it's probably that he's got a window with the news-room forums open with an auto-refresher plugged in... that's how I'd do it anyway.
*...stay on target...*
And really, he did have 21 minutes to read your article AND post.
*...stay on... what again?...*
Is this really a cause of wonder anyway? This is the internet, where the "first"s are the firstiest and people can 100% the quizzes in exactly 30 seconds.
*...ooh a butterfly...*
Which is complete bull. I once went through one just clicking any answer and then "next" as fast as I could and still barely hit the 40 second mark.

---

*...back on target...*

I could say something snarky like "If there was a browser that actively blocked this, it would be my new favorite browser"... so I will: If there was a browser that actively blocked this, it would be my new favorite whatchamacallit.

I have never much liked the whole Mii thing. One Saint Patrick's day back in 2007... the first one, not the second one... a bunch of friends and I got a bit tipsy and made a Mii of me on one of their Wiis. It was creepily just like me if I were slightly cartoonish. I mean, way more than we could make anyone else. And this is the crux of why I don't like them: it might just be because mine was so awesome and thus everyone else's sucks, but I don't think it does the whole "cartoon you" thing very well. It become this weird lego thing where the same faces swap out hair and bodies.

So, I've never been too interested and my cynicism is telling me that this is just another marketing campaign that was held off until they needed to boost company awareness. As in, still keeping Nintendo in the consumer's cone of notice while the two other consoles are set to compete with each other.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
What I find nice about the Miiverse is that if you talk about a game and don't have it, there will be a sign on your post telling that you don't actually own the game.
It will make it easier to distinguish actual criticism from people who have played the game from people who are just parroting stuff they read on the internet.

And some of the drawings are just fantastic.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit I did like the Mii things and while I would like to sign up however since the register require the Network ID from my Wii, I gonnba have to give it a pass (yea I'm too lazy too boot up my Wii just to see the Network ID).

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
What I find nice about the Miiverse is that if you talk about a game and don't have it, there will be a sign on your post telling that you don't actually own the game.
It will make it easier to distinguish actual criticism from people who have played the game from people who are just parroting stuff they read on the internet.

And some of the drawings are just fantastic.
i'm trying to find the paper mario screenshot that is appropriate for this situation, but i can't seem to find it.

anyway, they need to open this up to 3ds users, cause that would bolster the numbers