New Smart Skin Allows Robots to Feel

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
New Smart Skin Allows Robots to Feel

Experimental transistor arrays could give robots the ability feel with remarkable precision.

New research into pressure generated electricity has resulted in a way to create a grid of transistors that could give machines an incredibly fine sense of touch. Piezoelectricity is the name of the game - that's the kind of electricity generated when force is applied to a few select solid materials. By combining tiny nanowires and piezotronic transistors into a grid-like array, the scientists created a clear, flexible sheet that could fit over a robotic limb like skin. That "skin" would feed back through nearly microscopic wires to a computer chip that can translate those signals into movements - effectively simulating a sense of touch. The arrays of transistors are called "taxels," and they're the big step towards making robots able to feel.

Zhong Lin Wang, the leader of the team of researchers at Georgia Tech who have been working on taxel arrays, told TechNewsDaily that "When we [humans] touch fire, we know it's hot." This technology, said Wang, "can allow robots to have that human sense - in other words, make robots more like humans." Wang said that the practical applications for this technology go far beyond robotic senses - they could be used for prosthetics and for 'smart' biometrics - that in addition to knowing your fingerprint, would know how hard you press on the pad, or the exact motions you use to sign your name. "This is the beginning of a new era of technology," said Wang.

Source: TechNewsDaily [http://www.technewsdaily.com/17876-robot-adaptive-touch.html]

Our weekly science show, the Geekend Update, will keep you prepared for the inevitable robot uprising. Join us each Saturday.

[video=7160]

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Just once I'd like to read one of these articles without any references to Skynet or some sort of Robot apocalypse, after a while it gets grating.

Either way, it seems like an interesting technology, maybe with a bit of tweaking it could work on people with a lack of touch, I mean there are people that simply have that sense as really underdeveloped, and assuming there's a resugent strain of leprosy this'd probably come in handy.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I'd see this as more useful to phones than robots right now - Touch filtering, pressure, and precision and knowing the differences between skin, a touch pen, and other surfaces running across it would be seen as a useful everyday application compared to the applications in the article. Also, since it was made by an academic institution, that means use of the tech would be more open and possibly not as costly as compared to, say, Wacom's pressure-sensitive touchscreens.

In fact, imagine using a tablet where you and the tablet both feel what you are using to create art - If you use a brush, the tablet will draw according to how the brush strokes, and you get a feedback that feels like a brush as it is a brush instead of a touch pen. (Don't use paint, though.) Digital art would take a leap in this situation, and that tech might have just as much made it into a reality.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
http://youtu.be/nQ-ggzfdsMs

Anyone else think of this poor robot from the Simpsons when you saw this?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Aaaand yet another Star Trek technology has come true.

<youtube=R_HSYB3EPNk>

Only a matter of hours now until we get our teleporters.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Josh12345 said:
Just once I'd like to read one of these articles without any references to Skynet or some sort of Robot apocalypse, after a while it gets grating.
Xiado said:
You don't have to joke about a robot apocalypse everytime an advancement in robotics is made OP. Seriously, look at all of the posts about robotics and they all end with the same damn joke.
Yeah, I get where you guys are coming from. I really wish the guys writing these articles would catch on and a be a bit more...

SELF-AWARE

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
AxelxGabriel said:
But can it love? :(

Also, that much closer to Sex-bots!
...you beat me to it.

OT: I have to wonder as to whether or not it can feel pressure. If it can't, then how the hell will I be able to cause pain or the equivalent thereof to our future oppressors?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Now when the robot rebellion happens we can use this new feel skin to torture them for information. Any problem caused by science can be solved by science.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
My first thought: Wow, this means that people with robot limbs will soon be able to feel again if we manage to connect the limbs to nerves!

First comment: Sex bots!

Dammit people XD

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
Worgen said:
Now when the robot rebellion happens we can use this new feel skin to torture them for information. Any problem caused by science can be solved by science.
and we have to make it integrated into their internal power structure so that they can't deactivate it.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
This is amazing but it does bring the question, if a robot can feel then can it love?
somehow i can't shake the feeling of someone eventually making a robot so human-like, that you can use it to replace someone and nobody would notice...... i think I'm giving myself paranoia fuel.
R.Nevermore said:
http://youtu.be/nQ-ggzfdsMs

Anyone else think of this poor robot from the Simpsons when you saw this?
I thought i was the only one this came to mind to after a few minutes from reading the article.

still question why anyone would deliberately decided to build an assistant bot that could feel pain in a place that it is likely to get injured.

Then i think of hedonism bot from thinking of this.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
AxelxGabriel said:
But can it love? :(

Also, that much closer to Sex-bots!
Great, another partner that men are simply unable to please. Of course a robot would likely be more willing to tell us exactly what we're doing wrong so it might be good practice.