Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gets Generous with Operation Payback

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gets Generous with Operation Payback

CS:GO's new community map pack donates money back to map makers.

Unlike some [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123544-Team-Claims-to-Enable-Modding-in-Battlefield-3]other companies[/a], Valve takes a shine to modders. That's why it's taking seven top-rated community maps and placing them on official, low-ping servers as part of Operation Payback. To take part, you'll have to purchase a pass for $5.99 (on sale for $2.99). That money actually goes back to the talented map developers, so you can think of it as a donation. While you can't write it off on your taxes, contributors will receive a bronze challenge coin to show off with their avatar.

The seven maps featured in Operation Payback are the top rated custom maps currently available in the Steam Workshop. Since all of the maps are currently playable for free, purchasing a pass for Operation Payback is more of a way of showing support for the community instead of simple DLC. Purchasing the pack won't lock you away from your squad, as you'll still be able to invite your friends to play on Operation Payback servers, even if they didn't purchase a pass.

The seven featured maps showcase a good bit of variety, both in theme and level design. Thunder is a remake of a CS 1.1 classic that features wide open spaces, while Library is all about small mazes. Motel combines both with tight areas that spill out into open arenas. Seaside focuses on short, fast games with water hazards, while Museum adds a vertical element to the mix. Meanwhile, Favela is all about the choke points.

Operation Payback is intended to be the first in a series of seasonal events that feature community content. Operation Payback will only be in effect until July 31st, so hop on it if you're interested.

[gallery=1465]

Source: [a href=http://blog.counter-strike.net/operationpayback/]Counter-Strike Blog[/a]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Always with the damn map packs for shooters! Yeah buy all this crap so it can be replaced in the next copy and paste sequel! Thanks for the money suckers!

(Whispers)

What? There's no sequel next year?...

These maps can be played for free?...

You're basically rewarding a fan for their dedicated effort towards making good maps for their favorite game?...

This isn't a money grab so some CEO can get a massive end year bonus?...

WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!?!?!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I have a somewhat bittersweet feeling towards this, on the one hand, AWESOME!, kudos for Valve!, and on the other hand, it's quite a bit sad this is extremely rare nowadays, with bloated prices of rehashed map packs and the fad of season passes being the norm, rather than the exception.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This isn't the first time modders earn money working for Valve. I read somewhere that one TF2 modder who makes hats and weapons managed to earn $500,000.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
When I had first seen this, in one of the Steam update alerts/adverts, I was actually shocked. I was under the impression that this was a pay-to-play DLC map-pack. One thing I thought I'd never see from Valve; the company that's had a policy of "give 'em content for free" for years. It made me genuinely annoyed.

However, once I learned that the maps are available to everyone, for free, through the Workshop, and that most or all of the proceeds go to the map makers and not Valve, I gave a sigh of relief. In fact, I was even impressed when I learned that Valve was actually going to host these maps on low-ping official dedicated servers.

So...kudos to you Valve. You've a long history of supporting the modding community. I'm glad to see you're continuing that tradition.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
This isn't the first time modders earn money working for Valve. I read somewhere that one TF2 modder who makes hats and weapons managed to earn $500,000.
There's another modder, one who crafted character models for another company (I believe), who is basically making a living by creating Dota 2 set pieces. She's been making a small fortune doing it too.

Can't recall her name off the top of my head. A suppose a quick Google search would remedy that.