Dust 514 Launching on 5/14

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dust 514 Launching on 5/14

The long awaited companion game to EVE Online will be leaving its open beta behind for a full-fledged launch in May.

Now in development for nearly three years, Dust 514 has impressed since in January of 2013. Now, it seems the betas, development and waiting may finally be over. CCP has revealed that the game's official launch will be upon us shortly.

"Dust 514 launches on 5.14.2013," said Shaun Norton, a PR representative working for CCP, on the <a href=https://twitter.com/dust514/status/328210597772677120>Dust 514 Twitter account. The announcement solicited excitement from fans of the open beta. That said, there are some worrying that with three years passed since the initial announcement interest may have waned for the PS3 exclusive, free-to-play shooter. Moreover, some are wondering what CCP plans to do now with the PS4 on the horizon. "Of course we're thinking about [PlayStation 4's imminent release]," said CCP's Thor Gunnarson, speaking to <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/25/has-dust-514-missed-its-golden-opportunity?abthid=5179672243ef3c2117000014>IGN last week. "We expect Dust to last at least as long as EVE. We're planning for 10 years of operation. You would expect that, of course, we will follow our players, follow the market, to the platforms that matter to them."

While CCP has confirmed nothing, this seems to indicate that new versions of Dust 514 may someday surface in addition to the PS3 game launching in May. What will be interesting to see is if the game remains a PlayStation exclusive or if it will wind up branching out to other gaming systems. Some were baffled why the EVE Online companion wasn't being made for PCs to begin with, and with CCP hoping for a decade-long lifespan, perhaps a port isn't out of the question.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/27/4275532/dust-514-launches-may-14-for-ps3>Polygon

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
As a six-year veteran of EVE Online, I'd be keen to try Dust, and get involved with that side of the universe.

Pity I currently don't and never will have a PS3. If it's not on PC, I can't play it. Pity.

Captainanorach

Sep 14, 2012
O I c what you did there. shame it only works if you're American. As far as the beta goes. I was involved with it early on and whilst it was fairly robust, the problem I had with it, was that muted colour palette just looked blurry on the ps3. Ps4 upgrade will need to be a definite, otherwise I can see population numbers dropping hard, when the new consoles come out.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
I tried Dust a few weeks back. Over all, I was left dissatisfied. Maybe it was just that I had entered the game blind, but it didn't do anything the way I had expected them to be done. I had a hell of a time even figuring out how to enter a game, then couldn't make heads or tails of how my medic tools should be used...

I don't fault the game devs too much though, since I'm sure part of it is the fact that I've not played a class based tactical shooter since battlefield 1942.

Anyway, with my brief experience with the game, I'm really surprised it is a PS3 exclusive, since the lobby and shop system looked like they were imported from a PC environment where mousing over things was an easy interface option.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
As a European, this means nothing, because to my eyes it's the 5th of some non-existent 14th month.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
From what I understand Dust isn't all that great, pretty much a generic shooter that really missed its potential.

People are gonna be hella-disappoint.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Sansha said:
As a six-year veteran of EVE Online, I'd be keen to try Dust, and get involved with that side of the universe.

Pity I currently don't and never will have a PS3. If it's not on PC, I can't play it. Pity.
Agreed, They should have just made it a PC shooter. I know the shooters would complain about the keyboard, but you can plug a Xbox360 controller into any PC so it is a moot point. Unless you are a Mac user, then you are just happy someone FINALLY made a game on your platform.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
A lot of people seem to think Dust is a flop, I've got to say I disagree, Dust isn't a flop it just hasn't succeeded yet. CCP constantly improves constantly iterates on their work and it just gets better. I eagerly await the relaunch of dust for the PS4 or PC/xbox.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
synobal said:
A lot of people seem to think Dust is a flop, I've got to say I disagree, Dust isn't a flop it just hasn't succeeded yet.
It's the risk you take in converting a Beta phase from a Beta phase to a form of advertising. I'm thinking Firefall here.

But yes, you are right. Technically It cannot be deemed a failure or success until it has officially launched.

Why it is a PS3 exclusive when EVE is a PC MMO is something a more educated person will have to explain to me. Unless it's capitalism. If it's that don't bother.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Sidney Buit said:
I tried Dust a few weeks back. Over all, I was left dissatisfied. Maybe it was just that I had entered the game blind, but it didn't do anything the way I had expected them to be done. I had a hell of a time even figuring out how to enter a game, then couldn't make heads or tails of how my medic tools should be used...
Logistics is a tad more difficult as the revive tool (the free logi tool) and all other equipment do not rotate in the default weapon rotation and there is no quick button for it. That said, a good medic can rank near the top of the board without a single kill.
I don't fault the game devs too much though, since I'm sure part of it is the fact that I've not played a class based tactical shooter since battlefield 1942.
I would also say that it is significantly different from most of the shooters I've played, and the transition can be a bit jarring. Additionally, leveling and specializing in a weapon early is a necessity, as the basic weapons (militia) have shit ammo capacity and places you at a disadvantage in one on one situations.

But if you're really having problems, set it down for a week or two after setting your passive skill gain and boost your skills with the point you earn through that method (extremely slow, but good if you need to take a break for a while).

monev44

Nov 9, 2010
Me55enger said:
synobal said:
A lot of people seem to think Dust is a flop, I've got to say I disagree, Dust isn't a flop it just hasn't succeeded yet.
It's the risk you take in converting a Beta phase from a Beta phase to a form of advertising. I'm thinking Firefall here.

But yes, you are right. Technically It cannot be deemed a failure or success until it has officially launched.

Why it is a PS3 exclusive when EVE is a PC MMO is something a more educated person will have to explain to me. Unless it's capitalism. If it's that don't bother.
I think the money the got from selling exclusive rights to sony is what helped fund its development for the last 3 years. And I would bet my biscuits that it's a limited exclusivity and in a year or two when the deal runs out, BAM! - PC version. So I guess the answer to your question is; Yes, capitalism.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
monev44 said:
Me55enger said:
synobal said:

I think the money the got from selling exclusive rights to sony is what helped fund its development for the last 3 years. And I would bet my biscuits that it's a limited exclusivity and in a year or two when the deal runs out, BAM! - PC version. So I guess the answer to your question is; Yes, capitalism.
The best part? Because it's all on the same server (Tranquility), you could theoretically port your PS3 character to your platform of choice.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
But will it start to be more fun than Killzone 3? Because presently, even though I've tried to love it, I just can't see anything beyond average FPS gameplay addled with a complex progression system made simply complex for the sake of complexity.