Modder's Liquid Lifebar Shows Health Dips And Spikes In Real Time

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Modder's Liquid Lifebar Shows Health Dips And Spikes In Real Time

Terraria's fun, but this little gadget adds its own unique twist to play.

This self-taught modder picked up C# and Java by tinkering in his spare time, and drew on dim memories of college circuitry courses to put together this Liquid Lifebar, a fascinating device that shows mana and health dips and spikes in real time. If you're not awed by the how-to, just skip forward in the video until about the 4.40 mark, when the Lifebar starts showing its potential.

"I don't have any plans for an instructables or anything like that at this time," says the modder, who goes by bfayer [http://www.youtube.com/user/bfayer?feature=watch], though he has since put some of his work-in-progress videos up on YouTube. He still has some bugs to work out, the potential for algae-contaminated water being one, but so far he's very pleased with the result. It's actually intended to stick right through the desk, but his wife has vetoed that cunning plan. It wasn't as cheap to do as he had hoped and skimping, he admits, resulted in total failure. "I eventually caved and just spent the money I knew was required to build it right," he says.

For the moment, he's just enjoying Terraria as seen in a whole different light. The endgame content seen in the video is something he and five friends worked on a while back, when they put together a boss summoning arena. "I hear some new content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123430-New-Winter-Biome-in-Upcoming-Terraria-Update] is coming," says he, "so I might have another round!"

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1da09p/a_physical_liquid_health_meter_inspired_by_diablo/]

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Okay, now that is cool.

He should make a hub for controlling mutiple of those at the same time.

Too bad they don't work for showing your real life health.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
Man how I appreciate the diy crafter guys. If I had the money and my own home I'd be doing all kinds of things to it. One day...

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
I wonder what kind of lifespan they can expect from that plastic bag under such conditions.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
This DIY project really makes me want to refresh my C# and dive into Terraria's code. Too bad I'm lazy and fat and doing tons of other things...

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
josemlopes said:
Its kind of like that Xbox IllumiRoom thing, cool but pointless
It could be kind of neat for tournaments at cons and such.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Useless, but then so are lava lamps. This is much cooler. I have visions of a couple dozen of these playing a light-show during raids, each tracking a different player. Very neat either way.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
That's pretty cool but probbaly obnoxiously loud. It's a fish pump and a high speed pump. What they don't show is the constant WURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. In the background from the air pump and this. PSTHSHTSPSTHSPPTHSPTHSOTOS from the actuator.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
crepesack said:
That's pretty cool but probbaly obnoxiously loud. It's a fish pump and a high speed pump. What they don't show is the constant WURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. In the background from the air pump and this. PSTHSHTSPSTHSPPTHSPTHSOTOS from the actuator.
I'm sure if you really wanted to you could soundproof the box to keep it from being too loud. It would add on to the expense sure, but the thing is far from optimized anyway, so it's just another consideration for potential refining of the design.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I would probably buy this if I had the money and the technological knowhow to hook it up to other games aside from terraria.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Huh, that's uh...neat.

This just reminded me of how much I hate Wyverns though.

@V8 Ninja: You would have an aneurysm once you got in.
It's a somewhat known fact amongst Terrarias modding subforum that Red codes fast, but not efficiently.
It's a mess in there.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I realized two things from watching this.

1. I need to reinstall Terraria.
2. I now want some of these things for Dark Souls, one for Health and one for Stamina.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Wow, I dig these. Really beautiful! I'd love two, one for health and one for mana, to be used for a multitude of games. They'd make great room lighting in general too, maybe even synced to some BPM matching software. Watery disco room, ooohhh yeah! I hope he does decide to market them (with modifications for noise reduction and neatness of course) as I'll snap two of those bad boys right up.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Keith K said:
I wonder what kind of lifespan they can expect from that plastic bag under such conditions.
if its not one of those "environmental friendly" bags - years. A thick plastic bags lasted my father for many decades and he done all kinds of abuse with them. He stores tools in those, because regular toolboxes break. yes, plastic bags last longer than a toolbox.