Arkham Origins Replacing the Voice of Batman

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Arkham Origins Replacing the Voice of Batman

A new actor may be selected to portray the younger version of Batman portrayed in the next the Arkham game.

Close your eyes and imagine that Batman is talking to you. If the voice you hear isn't Kevin Conroy's, then you're doing it wrong. Conroy, who began voicing the role of the Dark Knight in the acclaimed Batman: The Animated Series, is, for many, the definitive voice of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Outside of the Animated Series he's been the man behind the character in shows, movies, and videogames including Batman Beyond, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Whenever a new Batman project is announced, the first question on many a fan's mind is whether or not Conroy will be involved.

Unfortunately for Batfans, it appears that the next game in the Arkham series will not be featuring the veteran voice actor. According to the latest issue of the South African publication NAG Magazine, Warner Bros. Games Montreal has chosen to pass on Conroy, opting instead for another, still to be announced, performer that it feels will better portray the younger, brasher Batman of Arkham Origins.

Some were already grumbling when it was revealed that Rocksteady, the studio behind the first two Arkham games, wouldn't be at the helm of Arkham Origins and this latest move could potentially disappoint a lot of franchise fans. That said, the departure of Conroy wouldn't be unprecedented. Mark Hammil, famous for his various portrayals of the Joker (and some other obscure roles you probably haven't heard of), said, prior to the game's release, that he was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100959-Mark-Hamills-Days-as-Arkham-Asylum-Joker-Numbered>finished with the character following Arkham City. In the end, it may just be important to remember that Conroy is not the only person that's ever voiced Batman, even if some might regard him as the best.

Source: NAG via <a href=http://kotaku.com/arkham-citys-batman-actor-wont-be-back-for-the-next-g-483877457>Kotaku

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I wonder if they'll use the guy who voiced Bats in the "Batman: Year One" animated movie? I mean, they are taking cues from that comic, so why not?

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
So no Mark hamill for the voice of joker and now no Kevin Conroy for Batman:

People are not going to like this-not one little bit [hides in bunker to avoid rage]

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
I should probably google this, but who voiced the Batman for Injustice?

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
If Kevin Conroy isn't coming back to voice Batman, there's always Adam West! I understand it'll ruin the entire tone of the game, but it would be pretty great.

Apr 28, 2008
The hell is it with developers getting rid of the original voice actors? I mean, come on, really?

Not as bad a reason as Theif 4's, getting rid of Russel because they need someone who can do their own stunts so they can capture it all at once. WHY?! It's a first person stealth game! Why the hell do you need to have such advanced mo-cap and facial capture stuff?!?! The new Garrott even wears a freaking [/i]face mask[/i] for fuck's sake!!

Anyway, yeah. Developers ditching the original voice actors makes me sad.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Jhooud said:
I should probably google this, but who voiced the Batman for Injustice?
That was also Kevin Conroy.

OT: That's too bad... Conroy IS the goddamned Batman in my eyes. How much younger could this incarnation of Batman be that Conroy wouldn't be able to 'fit' it?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so right now i assume the game will suck and not be like the other arkham games.
but i will not be bitching about it till i see footage that proves me right(please don't suck)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Meh, maybe it's time to let sometime else take the role... some people would still complain, though... *SIGH*

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
thats a shame i really like his voice but i think the developers should be allowed to make changes if they feel it will benefit their game, after all it is a new game set years before the other, so yeah im cool with it, i feel the same way for the change in voice actor in the new thief game.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Kevin Conroy's got plenty of experience voicing "younger" Batmans. He did it in Mask of the Phantasm and even Gotham Knights. So... I don't buy the excuse.

Unless it turns out the new voice actor is Will Friedle and it's all an elaborate prequel to Batman Beyond...

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
The Hero Killer said:
Kevin Conroy voiced "a younger, brasher" version of Batman just fine on Mask of the Phantasm. He can do it here.
that was in 1993, maybe hes having problem hitting the higher notes so to speak

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Although I love Kevin Conroy as the voice of Batman, I can understand why the studio would want to go for a (what would probably be) a younger voice talent. If this takes place at least a decade before the Arkham series then...

I'll wait and see who they pick before making a judgement. Still hoping for a decent game from this.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Eh, I must admit I'm not liking the recent trend of getting rid of distinctive voices in games. Ironside is out as Sam Fisher, Hayter is (probably, no-one can be 100% sure though thanks to Kojima fuckery) out as Snake, Bateson was so very nearly out as Agent 47, and now Conroy is out as Batman.

I'm worrying more and more that all voices in gaming are being made into one big mush voiced by Nolan North. Men, women, children, all with the Nathan Drake/Desmond Miles/Martin Walker/Prince of Persia style voice.