Lobo Gives Batman The Finger In Debut Footage

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Lobo Gives Batman The Finger In Debut Footage

Have a look at the first DLC fighter to join Injustice: Gods Among Us, but try not to be too offended.

Come May 7, NetherRealm Studios will launch the first post-release DLC addition to Injustice: Gods Among Us, the intergalactic bounty hunter known as Lobo. Embedded at right you'll find the first official footage of Lobo in action, and as anyone familiar with the character would expect, he's a bit rude.

The violence we understand; this is a fighting game after all. We can even give Lobo a pass on the smoking, given that he's nigh-indestructible and probably isn't in much danger of developing lung cancer. That said, his super move is just horribly uncouth. Sure, immolate Batman if you must, but flipping the bird to Mr. Wayne's charred corpse is just mean.

Then again, it is in keeping with the character. Rob Zombie aesthetic aside, NetherRealm seems to have a solid grasp on Lobo, who gained poularity as a parody of the "XXXTREME" antiheroes that were so popular in comics throughout the 1990s. Marvel's favorite son Wolverine was the most prominent example of this, despite his "attitude" having initially been an homage to Clint Eastwood. As Logan grew in popularity, both Marvel and DC added dozens of new antiheroes to their ranks, each of which were exceedingly of their time, and generally defined by juvenile attempts to flout the establishment, even as they ostensibly played the role of the good guy.

By design Lobo takes this concept to its silly, over the top extreme - at least, that's what DC claims in hindsight. I'm not entirely convinced that DC didn't push Lobo toward being another antihero that was so stupidly over the top that the company then had to claim parody to save face. Whatever the reason for Lobo's existence, the key thing you need to know about him is that he's almost as strong and resilient as Superman, but without any of the Blue Boy Scout's pesky moral compunctions. He'll beat up a bad guy, certainly, but Lobo's motivation for doing so is less "truth, justice, and the American way" and more "cash rules everything around me." Also, he'll be smoking a fat cigar and dropping "clever" one-liners all over the place.

As I mentioned above, Lobo should hit the Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network Store on May 7. We have no reason to suspect that it won't also appear on the Wii U at that time, but Injustice's Wii U incarnation has been mysteriously dropping features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.405989-Injustice-Wii-U-Lacks-Features-Of-Xbox-360-PS3-Versions-UPDATE] since just prior to launch, and it would come as little surprise to see the same thing happen in this case. Whatever happens, Lobo could be yours for $5 (or less if you opt to purchase the Injustice Season Pass.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RFwC8dV2l1Y]

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Actually Lobo was created in the eighties as mostly a villain. He did become a antihero in the nineties though.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kenbo Slice said:
Actually Lobo was created in the eighties as mostly a villain. He did become a antihero in the nineties though.
You're right. That was a poor choice of words on my part. Should've been something ... well, I'll just change it to what it should've been.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Hmmm, Seems about right. Kinda wish they got the guy that voiced Lobo in the Superman: the animated adventures cartoon.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
... Seriously?

They are okay showing two guys beating each other up, one setting the other alight and shooting him with guns, but then censor it when he gives the middle finger?

Some people make no sense.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Try not to be too offended?

Him giving Batman the finger isn't offensive at all to me.
However, the fact that they vensored his hand while he did it, that I find a lot more offensive.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I thought the censor was hilarious. I actually hope they keep that intact when he makes it into the game.

Well that's one character. I wonder who will be next?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Hmmm. I remember his introduction in Omega Men (number escapes me...quick check....looks like #3). He was introduced as a bounty hunter from a race of beings who didn't die. When you killed them, they split into two of the same being instead of actually dying. Small problem: he was the last of his race. I never understood this. I also thought he looked like a clown in his two color leotard. Both he and his space scooter have come a long way.

How does one land a space scooter like this without injuring the person you are carrying from your handlebars? Also, turning is going to be a bit sluggish with that extran weight up there. This seems impractical. If you turned in your paperwork to get the helmet exemption for your Class C driver's license, then she can ride on the back without a helmet.

Maybe he secretly wanted to be Captain Lobo and Kalista there was his best attempt at a figurehead for his "ship". I don't know. I have so many questions about this cover. I almost think Lobo is spotting Kalista while she does kegelsizes with some futuristic plasma orb.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Legion said:
... Seriously?

They are okay showing two guys beating each other up, one setting the other alight and shooting him with guns, but then censor it when he gives the middle finger?

Some people make no sense.
We're a culture that thinks murder is more acceptable to depict than the human body. I dont'expect it to make sense.

Tohuvabohu said:
I thought the censor was hilarious. I actually hope they keep that intact when he makes it into the game.
It would serve as decent satire to the faux-edge of the 90s.

Clankenbeard said:
When you killed them, they split into two of the same being instead of actually dying. Small problem: he was the last of his race.
...Seems legit.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Sweet, it's about time the Main Man got to be playable in a video game.

I'd also like to point out that the Batman skin being used in this video is from Flashpoint, where time was altered so that Thomas Wayne became Batman after the death of his son, Bruce.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Tohuvabohu said:

Well that's one character. I wonder who will be next?
Agreed, the censor was the best part of that video. It's like I always say, curse words are way funnier when you censor them (which is why I prefer to watch South Park on TV rather than other sources). The same applies to the bird.

That aside, Lobo looks fun, but I'm not really in love with the voice. Like someone else said, the Animated Series voice would have been a much better fit.

My only beef is this: Why is Lobo DLC? Given Netherrealm Studio's history, I'd think a guy like this would have made an ideal choice from the outset.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Rex Dark said:
Try not to be too offended?

Him giving Batman the finger isn't offensive at all to me.
However, the fact that they vensored his hand while he did it, that I find a lot more offensive.
I think it'd just be the trailer, I think I've heard swearing in the game etc... Can't recall. But censoring things makes them funnier in some ways, I always laugh more when a swear is bleeped etc.

Love Lobo, was a big fan of him in 52, love that series.

ShakerSilver said:
Sweet, it's about time the Main Man got to be playable in a video game.

I'd also like to point out that the Batman skin being used in this video is from Flashpoint, where time was altered so that Thomas Wayne became Batman after the death of his son, Bruce.
There's a movie on it!? I like the DC animated flicks, also, what the heck is ultraviolet in regard to a film?

Fapmaster5000

May 13, 2011
Ultraviolet is advertspeak for content licensed for digital copies, such as tablets, smartphones, and whenever Google finds a way to put projectors in your eyeball.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I don't know, I really couldn't care less about Lobo. He never really struck me as a compelling character. Still getting the season pass though, as I have full faith in Nether Realms.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Yaaaay, Lobo!<3

That character's a welcome breath of fresh air on the worst of days. If he could even breathe some smoky life into an Injustice: La-de-da video, he can do anything.

Imagine what he could do if you gave the poor sod his own game, eh, developers?