Judge Rules Madden NFL Lawsuit May Proceed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Judge Rules Madden NFL Lawsuit May Proceed

John Madden Football co-creator Robin Antonick's claim that Electronic Arts owes him two decades worth of royalties on the Madden NFL franchise will soon go to trial.

All the way back in 1988, Robin Antonick was part of the team that created John Madden Football, the game that would launch one of the most durable videogame franchises of all time. His time on the franchise ended with the 1991 release of John Madden Football 2, but he claims he signed a deal with EA which would see him paid royalties on any derivative works related to the game. His last royalty check arrived in 1992, after which Antonick believed the game had been completely rebuilt, ending his right to recompense. But when he saw marketing materials for Madden NFL 11 which stated that the game is still based on his original work, he filed a lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108921-John-Madden-Football-Designer-Sues-EA-for-Billions] against the publisher seeking unpaid royalties and, more significantly, "disgorgement of all profits" earned over the past 20 years.

Electronic Arts quickly sought a half-dozen guys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110577-EA-Seeks-Madden-NFL-Lawsuit-Dismissal]) dismissed Antonick's contribution, describing him as merely a contracted programmer who didn't even work on-site. But a California judge has denied EA's request for a dismissal and ruled that the case will proceed to trial.

"We have very compelling evidence indicating that EA used Mr. Antonick's ground-breaking code and design elements as the basis for both past and present Madden NFL titles," said Robert Carey, one of Antonick's attorneys. "Yet, EA has failed to compensate him as required by his agreement or give him proper credit for his work. We look forward to proving our case at trial, and we are very confident that we will prevail."

It's unlikely that the "disgorgement of all profits" thing is going to happen but given the amount of money the Madden NFL series has made since '92 - the law firm representing him describes it as a $5 billion franchise - it will still be a massive payday for Antonick if he wins: He claims the terms of his contract guarantee him 1.5 percent of the profits arising from any derivative works, which adds up to more money than you or I would earn in a dozen lifetimes.

The trial is scheduled to begin on June 17.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.hb-ip.com/our-work/MaddenNFL]

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Question 1: If this lawsuit happened, would this destroy EA?

Question 2: If yes, how soon can we get the lawsuit going?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Sadly no. This would be a big hit, but companies have weathered bigger lawsuits than this.

The only thing that could conceivable 'destroy' EA (and wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility) is if it came out that they've been falsifying their financial statements.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Wargamer said:

Absolutely not. Even if Antonick wins the case, he'll likely only win $75 million. I'm pretty sure that the CEO of EA could pay for that all on his own.

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Wargamer said:

Absolutely not. Even if Antonick wins the case, he'll likely only win $75 million. I'm pretty sure that the CEO of EA could pay for that all on his own.
Indeed. They'll most likely settle out of court for a sum substantially below those $75 million anyway.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Hmm... $75 million sounds like just enough for Antonick to start his own company and release a NFL game that could rival Madden... I wonder what his intentions are with the money if he wins the case?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Dr.Awkward said:
Hmm... $75 million sounds like just enough for Antonick to start his own company and release a NFL game that could rival Madden...
Except Ea have exclusive rights to everything NFL. As Midway and 2k found out, it's got to be 'not-American football' and no matter how good the game is you get largely ignored by the market that wants the official game of, not some knock off (in their eyes at least).

I think if he wins he'll just bugger off to some nice town in countryside and live a life of quiet excess.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Good luck Mr.Antonick, our hearts and minds are with you! But how realistic are his chances? Will he be able to prove - beyond an advert - that he was a significant part of the development? The case isn't going to break EA, but every little helps >:)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
EA's fate aside, I hope Antonick gets some kind of compensation. It sounds like he got sucker punched by EA back in the day on the deal even though his contract stated he should have been getting money all along, and if that is the case it's important that he wins. If he doesn't, maybe it's time for middle class unions?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
EA have $1b cash on hand to weather any possible liquidity issues, and as for the expense effect it'll maybe reduce their NPAT by $50m.

Nothing company-wrecking in the slightest, and EA have been restructuring for the past few years anyway.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
shit, that's a lot of cash. >.>

still, I wonder what exactly his part in the series was, and how he could check if it was still there?
unique coding lines, maybe? do they even have rights to that? is that even a thing?

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
His code is still in the game? Geez... Madden really hasn't changed in years.

Mr.Tea said:
fix-the-spade said:
Dr.Awkward said:
Hmm... $75 million sounds like just enough for Antonick to start his own company and release a NFL game that could rival Madden...
Except Ea have exclusive rights to everything NFL. As Midway and 2k found out, it's got to be 'not-American football' and no matter how good the game is you get largely ignored by the market that wants the official game of, not some knock off (in their eyes at least).

I think if he wins he'll just bugger off to some nice town in countryside and live a life of quiet excess.
He could get around that by making a CFL game instead. Different league, different country, slightly different rules (3 downs instead of 4, for example) but it still plays largely the same as American football.
Yeah, but we only have eight teams up here. Also, two of them have the same name, the Roughriders. No, I don't know why.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Even in the unlikely event that he got even a significant percentage of $75 million awarded, EA can afford to keep appeals in court until the trump of doom. More likely they'll reach a far more modest out-of-court settlement.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Dr.Awkward said:
Hmm... $75 million sounds like just enough for Antonick to start his own company and release a NFL game that could rival Madden... I wonder what his intentions are with the money if he wins the case?
Or he could just live a life of Riley. Buy a mansion, a yacht, and live the rest of his life in eternal sunshine for a fraction of the price.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I honestly don't know what to think about this one. I think don't know what precedence Antonick winning would set. Still, EA is going to lose money just by going to court...so in a juvenile way, I'm happy.

Less money in their coffers = less game studios they can buy and ruin. Sadly, it also means the companies they own won't remain unscathed, and opportunities for other companies may never arise. However, I think that last bit is just semantics at this point, considering it's EA we are talking about.

My only hope for Bioware is that they either buy themselves back, or the majority of the staff moves over to Obsidian or CDProject Red.