The Big Blue Kickstarter Creator Readies Plan B

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Big Blue Kickstarter Creator Readies Plan B

The creator of Ecco the Dolphin isn't giving up on his plan to bring aquatic mammalian videogaming to the 21st century.

Ed Annunziata, the producer and designer of the famed Ecco the Dolphin, took to Kickstarter in March to seek funding for The Big Blue, an Ecco-like game set a million years in the future. It was a big idea with a big price tag, but unfortunately for Annunziata it didn't inspire a big response, drawing only 867 backers and $55,764 in pledges, less than ten percent of its $665,000 goal.

The Kickstarter ended today but Annunziata recognized more than a week ago that it wasn't going to happen, and thus he lifted the curtain on Plan B, a less ambitious project that he's confident will eventually allow him to bring Plan A to fruition. "One of the problems we have is it is hard to get people to see how compelling a game like The Big Blue will be. If it is not clear in your mind's eye you will less likely back it," Annunziata explained in a Kickstarter update. "On the other hand I am absolutely certain that if you could try the game and see how beautiful and unique it will be, most people would not hesitate to back it, and will want to be involved in it's creation."

The plan now is to Kickstart and create Little Blue, a "slice of the whole game" that will feature just one other controllable creature aside from the dolphin, two environments plus "private ocean environments," song mechanics, at least ten "significant creatures" including at least one Leviathan, and a number of quests. It will also be completely free, with no internal monetization options; instead, it will link back to the next Big Blue Kickstarter campaign. The Little Blue Kickstarter, which hasn't yet launched, will provide a clearer look at what's in store with the game and provide "better rewards at a finer granularity" than those offered in The Big Blue campaign.

And why, you might wonder, would you give money to support the development of a free game? Because you're a true believer, I suppose, and you agree with Annunziata's assessment that this is the only way to make The Big Blue Happen. That's not an unreasonable position to take because The Big Blue does sound pretty fantastic, but the Kickstarter was launched with very little in the way of concrete assets, a big strike against such an unconventional game. Maybe scaling back his ambitions will give Annunziata a better chance of bringing his game to life.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/annunziata/the-next-ecco-the-dolphin-adventure-game/posts/459781]

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I fully admit - I'd never even heard of this Kickstarter.

Did someone post about this on the Escapist before now?

Anyway... meh. Echo the Dolphin was a good idea, but it was always too confusing and difficult for me to actually play much of it. The idea of paying over half a million for a new "Echo" game (Or Echo like game)... yeah, I wouldn't have supported this one.

But for someone who actually liked Echo? This could be really awesome.

And like, with Echo, I can always watch a speed run on Youtube years later. :p

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
i remember playing Ecco the Dolphin as a kid. I did not like it. I did not like it at all. Then I tried it years later thinking I had just been too young to appreciate it. I found it was still frustrating, confusing and not all that enjoyable to play. I'd always heard good things about it though. Maybe I'm not alone in my dislike after all and the mere mention of that dolphin scared all the backers away.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who didn't like Ecco the Dolphin as a kid. I really liked the atmosphere of the game, but I couldn't ever get past the octopus in the undercaves, and had a hard time even getting that far. For those who don't know the game, the undercaves is... I don't want to call it a level, because it was kind of an open world game. More like the first dungeon, to use a Zelda analogy. Point being, the octopus is 5 or 10 minutes into a long (for the time) game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Aw shame to hear the kickstarter failed so badly, but then this was a rather difficult to fathom concept even for die hard ecco fans.

ellers07 said:
Maybe I'm not alone in my dislike after all and the mere mention of that dolphin scared all the backers away.
Dont worry you're not. Ecco has always been one of these weird series that has a very niche appeal and even back in its heyday most players were confused and lost without a strategy guide.

Heck i once joked with my friends when showing them Ecco defender of the future that its a game so hard, im litteraly only able to advance a level or 2 per year. Ive yet to finish the game despite being at it for a decade due to my stubborness in refusing to check a guide to tell me the solutions.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Whenever I see the words "beautiful and unique", I can't help but feel it will end in failure.

Never got very far in Ecco the dlophin.