Square Enix Remasters Classic Final Fantasy Soundtracks

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Square Enix Remasters Classic Final Fantasy Soundtracks

The SNES entries to the Final Fantasy saga must have had some spare Phoenix Downs, because they're coming back to life in three new soundtracks.

The Final Fantasy franchise is responsible for some of the most recognizable tunes in gaming, thanks to the series' long-time composer Nobuo Uematsu. In tribute to the soundtracks of the Super Nintendo-era Final Fantasy games, Square Enix is working on a set of three nostalgia-packed remastered soundtracks. Each of the SNES entries to the series - Final Fantasy IV, V and VI - will be getting a CD's worth of freshly resurrected tunes, starting this summer.

The first game soundtrack to receive a remastering will be Final Fantasy IV, with few details on the others as of yet. The remastered Final Fantasy IV album will feature several memorable tracks from the age of the Super Famicom, including "The Red Wings," "The Theme of Love," and "Battle with Golbez's Four Fiends." Print copies of the CD will have special cover art by character designer Yoshitaka Amano. The CD is only slated for a Japanese release, though it's very possible that Square Enix will release a digital version for Western consumption given their track record for soundtrack releases in the past [https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/square-enix-music/id300171518].

The remastered Final Fantasy IV soundtrack is scheduled for a July 3 release in Japan, with V and VI to follow. There's a lot of nostalgia at play here, but the music from these games is certainly worth remembering. Who knows, the sweeping orchestras and experimental compositions might even grab the attention of these darned kids and their wubstep craze.

Source: Square Enix [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/ff4-6ost_re/#!/ff4]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
You mean SE you're remastering Nobuo Uematsu's classics. Too bad he left.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
mad825 said:
It's like uncovering unscathed art after an apocalypse.
That said I will be finding myself a copy of it somehow.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
mad825 said:
Agree. Final Fantasy (And Square as a whole, really) hasn't been the same without him.

Still, a remastered Final Fantasy VI Soundtrack? Yes, please.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Capitano Segnaposto said:
There is no region-locking on a japanese music CD, right? If not, then I am so going to have one shipped to America!
I personally own several Japanese soundtrack CDs, including a few Final Fantasy ones, and they all play perfectly well on my European CD-players. I have, in fact, never encountered or even heard of a music-CD with any kind of region-lock. So, good luck!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well I just 'squeed' a bit after thinking of a fully remastered FFVI soundtrack. Now if we could just get a remastered version of the actual game.

There is no region-locking on a japanese music CD, right? If not, then I am so going to have one shipped to America!
I don't believe there is. I have a Japanese import of the Grandia 2 soundtrack CD that works perfectly with everything I ever put it in.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well...the FFVIII soundtrack was awesome but if its gets the same kind of treatment, count me in.

And FFIX.

Gray Firion

Mar 5, 2012
And yet another version of Clash in the Big Bridge to be made. I trust there shall be no complaints. ^^

Beautiful End said:
Well...the FFVIII soundtrack was awesome but if its gets the same kind of treatment, count me in.

And FFIX.
I don't believe they will remaster Final Fantasy XIX's soundtrack anytime soon. It's got 2 things against it: It's very good and people want it a lot. That would be a Very sensible decision on Square Enix's part.

As I said, not likely to happen. =P

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
I got the Nier Piano collections from Japan; and that hasn't been sold over here at all. Not to mention it was a wonderful Christmas present. :)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
At this point, they're just screwing with us by not updating FFVII with modern graphics.

"Huh? We thought you wanted us to devote time and energy to soundtracks of the previous games? By 'please remake FFVII, we will literally throw money at you until you're crushed by the weight of it' we thought all our fans were demanding anything but an FFVII remake. As an apology for that, we'll get right on a third remake for FFI like you wanted..."

Oh well, at least they're on track for something we're actually requesting.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
mad825 said:
While it's true he's no longer a SE employee, he still contributes to the games. He composed a few songs for X, XI, and XII. He also composed most of the BGM for XIV 1.0 and, according to rumor, will be contributing to XIV 2.0 as well.

Just because he's Independent now doesn't mean he's not still making music for FF.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
There's no region locking on cds, period. Audio CDs don't have that kind of technology.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Keneth said:
mad825 said:
While it's true he's no longer a SE employee, he still contributes to the games. He composed a few songs for X, XI, and XII. He also composed most of the BGM for XIV 1.0 and, according to rumor, will be contributing to XIV 2.0 as well.

Just because he's Independent now doesn't mean he's not still making music for FF.
Okay...FF XIII -Masashi Hamauzu

FF XIII-2 Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki.

He isn't coming back anytime soon.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Gray Firion said:
And yet another version of Clash in the Big Bridge to be made. I trust there shall be no complaints. ^^

Beautiful End said:

And FFIX.
I don't believe they will remaster Final Fantasy XIX's soundtrack anytime soon. It's got 2 things against it: It's very good and people want it a lot. That would be a Very sensible decision on Square Enix's part.

As I said, not likely to happen. =P
I c wat u did ther. Touche, good sir, touche.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've got to ask, where does the IP license to renew post-FFVI games? It seems like we're hitting an artificial wall here and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to licensing. Who has the right to manage the FF titles that hit the Playstation first? It looks like Square Enix still has some wiggle room with FFVII as a PC download but I don't know how much that room entails or what that initial deal with Sony entailed. Perhaps it gave them first right of refusal on publishing remakes of the title or something. Either way, it'd be a heck of a system seller if exclusivity were attached to it.