Dragon's Dogma Update Corrupting Player's Save Data

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dragon's Dogma Update Corrupting Player's Save Data

[img_inline caption="" align='right' src='http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/475/475564.png']

Capcom is urging players to back up their save files as its latest update has reportedly corrupted several player's data.

Once primarily a concern for PC gaming, patches and updates, have become a staple of modern videogames across the spectrum of platforms and hardware. It's not uncommon for games to launch with updates already available. They've become so common that many barely notice them outside of when they fix a major issue or, conversely, cause one themselves.

A recent title update for Dragon's Dogma and its expansion, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, would seem to fall into the latter category. The latest patch has apparently been corrupting player's save data, making it impossible for affected persons to save or load their games. If your data is corrupted there is currently no way to recover it. You'll need to start from scratch, a potentially devastating consequence for veteran players with dozens of hours invested into the game.

Capcom has suggested players take several precautions while it fixes the issue. "To prevent the possibility of permanent loss of your data, please copy your existing save data (whether it be DD or DDDA) to an external storage device or cloud whenever possible--especially if you are picking up the game for the first time in awhile or switching over to Dark Arisen for the first time." If players suffer repeated file corruptions Capcom has suggested they temporarily play offline. "Please try playing the game offline while we investigate the issue. We're exploring the issue currently and hope to have a solution as quickly as possible."

While assumedly temporary, this is still a fairly big inconvenience for fans. While Dragon's Dogma can be enjoyed offline, prominent mechanics like the ability to share and rent support characters require an internet connection. Granted, going without a few features is definitely less burdensome that having to start over from scratch. Still, here's hoping Capcom resolves the issue quickly.

Source: <a href=http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/04/30/psa-title-update-issue--backup-your-dragons-dogma-save-data>Capcom Unity

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I was already backing up my data since I have 8+ characters I swap out from time to time.

Last I heard of this though it was a small issue that wasn't too widespread.

Anyway I played offline for about 4 months and honestly stock pawns aren't that much different from player made ones. Hell, you actually find more pawns that don't have the "Guardian" inclination.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the warning. Was going to play Dark Arisen tonight but didn't have a save back up. Would have been devastated if I lost my Arisen.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Good that I found this article. I would hate to get home and update my game only to have my first attempt at a Magick Archer be gone. I have never backed up my save games on my PS3 before, can't be that hard. I do so love this game. Come on Capcom, why are are you failing so much lately. Wouldn't release this as DLC, which lost all my DLC from the original and now releasing updates that can corrupt save games. I mean, does anyone know what this update is supposed to do for the game?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
And to think we just picked up a copy up yesterday.
Bloody bad luck, that's what this is.
Well thanks for the news-warning-doo-thingy.

Here's hoping for a quick fix.
Maybe something small for free as a "Sorry for the whole data destruction thing guys" afterwards.
Would be nice.