Rogue Bitcoin Code Found in Competitive Counter-Strike Servers

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Rogue Bitcoin Code Found in Competitive Counter-Strike Servers

An employee used E-Sports Entertainment servers to generate Bitcoins for personal gain.

It all started out with [a href=http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=forums&d=topic&id=492134]coders joking[/a] around on April Fools day about using their company's server software to crank out Bitcoins. [a href=http://play.esea.net/]E-Sports Entertainment[/a] makes competitive server software for games like Counter-Strike and League of Legends, so the idea of putting all that hardware to use was an interesting one. After mocking up some code, they tested it for 48 hours on two servers and shut it down. [a href=http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=esports&d=content&id=12692]According to the ESEA[/a], one of the original coders decided to keep things going and pocket the cash. Two weeks later, the code showed up again, only this time running on all 500 ESEA servers. While the original experiment resulted in only 2 Bitcoins, this new code cranked out 29 Bitcoins. Using current exchange rates, that equates to around $3,713.55 US dollars.

As an open-source currency, Bitcoin mining works by cranking though a really complex algorithm, something that modern graphics cards are rather well suited for. This rogue code essentially kept the cards constantly running on full tilt. ESEA forums are rife with customers complaining about cards running as hot as 90 degrees celsius, creating graphical glitches and even burning out equipment.

The good news is that ESEA seems to be taking all the blame right on the chin. Eric Thunberg, one of the admins, [a href=http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=forums&d=topic&id=492152]said[/a] "as the person who is ultimately responsible for everything it's 100% my fault." All affected customers are receiving a free month of premium service. The code dumped the coins into multiple wallets, which the ESEA is making public. In addition, they're donating all $3,713.55 to American Cancer Society, as well as matching 100% of donations, up to twice the mined amount. They'll also be increasing the pot of their next tournament by the same amount.

Source: [a href=http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=12692]ESEA[/a] via [a href=http://paritynews.com/web-news/item/1034-esea-league-stuffed-bitcoin-mining-code-inside-client-software]Parity News[/a]

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Not sure how high they would've had the settings cranked.

If they were stupid, then the cards would literally go above their breaking point (100C core 125VRM).

If they weren't totally stupid, you can get 50-75% efficiency for less than 100VRM (safeish, but it'll reduce your cards life a little bit) and 70 core.

Still, http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1dglil/popular_competitive_gaming_league_esea_admins/ reddit source.

I suppose it was inevitable; I just hope bitcoin collapses soon as it's an investment vehicle and not a serious currency exchange as it's way too volatile.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Well, at least ESEA is doing something about it, and handing out some charitable monies for compensation. They could've tried to brush it all under the carpet the way many companies do when stuff like this happens.

phoenixcalm

Jul 2, 2012
Again, it's the principle. Also the situation is much more deep. CS's competitive scene has been caught between a rock and a hard place. The match making system is barely workable and the servers are all 64 tick (terrible for competitive level play).

The real issue is, why do people in counter strike have to go to a third party service to get half way decent servers?

Everyone I ask would gladly pay valve $3 bucks a month to just have 128 tick servers and a more dedicated staff of devs. I say they want to make updates for cs? Fine! Lets give them some money for better servers and to pay the devs to develop a more robust competitive game. CS is an e-sport and it's treated like a red headed step child.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Gosh, with ASCI servers coming out, those farms will be useless. you can run a server 24/7 and dont make back your electricity bill.
Bitcoin mining is kinda pointless now, the real money is in trading. well maybe if you got acess to 100 servers like these guys it can make something.

phoenixcalm said:
Everyone I ask would gladly pay valve $3 bucks a month to just have 128 tick servers and a more dedicated staff of devs. I say they want to make updates for cs? Fine! Lets give them some money for better servers and to pay the devs to develop a more robust competitive game. CS is an e-sport and it's treated like a red headed step child.
Maybe not everyone wants steam servers?
CS is sadly an e-sport while being bellow red headed step child.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
valium said:
phoenixcalm said:
Again, it's the principle. Also the situation is much more deep. CS's competitive scene has been caught between a rock and a hard place. The match making system is barely workable and the servers are all 64 tick (terrible for competitive level play).

The real issue is, why do people in counter strike have to go to a third party service to get half way decent servers?

CS is not the red-headed step child of esports, that's LoL. CS is on it's last legs though.
I always thought that LoL was the kid with tourettes and multiple personality disorder, where one is self destructive, and the other constantly blames you for his own mistakes that he doesn't remember making?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I don't really get it... why don't they have something like that running in the background to facilitate unused capacities?
To me it seems this was the whole point about BitCoins: Using up idle computing capacities.
Why wouldn't they do this as a company? I bet most of their servers are just running at minimal load most of the day.

Of course doing this as an employee for personal gain without consent is extremely stupid...

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Well I'm gonna go ahead and admit to not having a fecking clue what a bitcoin is.
Read the Wikipedia article and I'm still not getting it.
Apparently its worth money but it can be made (as I understand it) by hijacking and using other people's graphics cards.
Frankly I'm confused.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
rofltehcat said:
I don't really get it... why don't they have something like that running in the background to facilitate unused capacities?
To me it seems this was the whole point about BitCoins: Using up idle computing capacities.
Why wouldn't they do this as a company? I bet most of their servers are just running at minimal load most of the day.

Of course doing this as an employee for personal gain without consent is extremely stupid...
Well, if you read the article/source, you'd realize that they did just that, and it is suspected of having pretty much fried the GPU of at least one unfortunate participant, who - like everybody else - had no clue what was going on or why. I recall having read that his GPU was constantly over 90 Celsius, so that is very much not good.

I don't mind people wanting and choosing to participate in SETI or Folding or whatever, but this Bitcoin code stunt here is easily classifiable as malware - hijacking an idle computers and cooking the hardware to squeeze some Bitcoins out of it, with no intent for end user participation or gratification.

My hardware is dear to me, and I want to have the choice of what to do with my resources. Anything else is an attack and will be treated as such.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
fletch_talon said:
Well I'm gonna go ahead and admit to not having a fecking clue what a bitcoin is.
Apparently its worth money but it can be made (as I understand it) by hijacking and using other people's graphics cards.
Frankly I'm confused.
Bitcoins are an attempt to make a currency that's not the product of a government or political authority figure. That theoretically should lend it an extra measure of stability.

Bitcoins are not printed at a treasury, nor did the creator decide that he should have all of them to start. Instead, they wanted the total supply of bitcoins to be slowly growing in a manner not directly within his control. So they can be created by anyone.

How new bitcoins are generated is that they're given to people who show a certain amount of work dedicated to making a bitcoin. So, the central bitcoin server proposes a problem that is very hard for modern computers to solve, but easy for computers to check that a given solution is correct. Anyone who solves this otherwise useless problem gets a few bitcoins.

To your question: the types of repetitive calculations that solving those problems require are things that graphics cards are very good at doing.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Kilo24 said:
fletch_talon said:
Frankly I'm confused.
Bitcoins are an attempt to make a currency that's not the product of a government or political authority figure. That theoretically should lend it an extra measure of stability.

Bitcoins are not printed at a treasury, nor did the creator decide that he should have all of them to start. Instead, they wanted the total supply of bitcoins to be slowly growing in a manner not directly within his control. So they can be created by anyone.

How new bitcoins are generated is that they're given to people who show a certain amount of work dedicated to making a bitcoin. So, the central bitcoin server proposes a problem that is very hard for modern computers to solve, but easy for computers to check that a given solution is correct. Anyone who solves this otherwise useless problem gets a few bitcoins.

To your question: the types of repetitive calculations that solving those problems require are things that graphics cards are very good at doing.
You know you're good at explaining things when you do a better job than Wikipedia. That's made it a heck of a lot clearer and I really appreciate it.
So I presume the fact that they have an actual exchange value is based on people's willingness to accept them as a currency and what those people deem them to be worth? Or is there more to it that I'm missing?

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
fletch_talon said:
Kilo24 said:
fletch_talon said:
Frankly I'm confused.

You know you're good at explaining things when you do a better job than Wikipedia. That's made it a heck of a lot clearer and I really appreciate it.
So I presume the fact that they have an actual exchange value is based on people's willingness to accept them as a currency and what those people deem them to be worth? Or is there more to it that I'm missing?
You are absolutely correct in that that's how ALL money systems work. The only things that make this different is a) The exchange rates cannot be manipulated by a central bank b) They cannot merely be printed because there is a limited amount of bitcoins that can ever exist (I forget the upper limit, but its built into the system) and c) unlike gold which has both a and b going for it, it can be "mined" by anyone willing to put the time as opposed to centralized by mining corporations who can influence the prices (diamonds, for example, have their value artificially increased by De Beers hoarding large quantities).
Personally I am not convinced that this system will have long term significance but we'll see.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Kilo24 said:
fletch_talon said:
Frankly I'm confused.

Not having government backing it makes it worth less. The whole reason any currency works is because we say it does, with the full faith and credit of the United States. Buitcoin will last for a while, but as the market has shown, it has no stability and I'm pretty sure it will crash and burn within the next 5 years.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
The whole bitcoin thing reminds me of the Glenn Beck/Ron Paul "Put all your money into gold; it's the only thing that has real value" malarkey, except even stupider because at least gold will always physically exist and be worth something to someone. Bitcoins are still the monetary equivalent of an imaginary friend; it exists because people say it does, and if a virus were to wipe out the computers containing the data saying who owns how many of them - or if everyone wakes up and decides this is all bullshit - that's it.

Plus, does anyone know what these "bitcoin mining" programs actually do? For all we know, they could be helping some network of hackers brute-force crack public encryption keys so they can break into the Pentagon or something.

phoenixcalm

Jul 2, 2012
fletch_talon said:
Kilo24 said:
fletch_talon said:
Frankly I'm confused.

Kilo24 said:
fletch_talon said:
Frankly I'm confused.

+1

Unfortunately people do not understand money in general. How money is created out of thin air and how inflation and deflation works. Here is a reference link to explain some stuff about money. I suggest watching this whole movie but it is long. However, if you want to understand money, this explains it very well...

http://youtu.be/7qIhDdST27g?t=1h26m48s