Peter Molyneux Teases Appearance at Next Xbox Reveal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Peter Molyneux Teases Appearance at Next Xbox Reveal

The 22 Cans man also said there's a good possibility that the great secret of Curiosity will be revealed on the same day.

There was a time when Peter Molyneux, as the top cheese muffin on the Lionhead pile, was a pretty big cog in the Microsoft machine. The publisher described him as "one of our most passionate and influential developers" when he left [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116189-Peter-Molyneux-Leaves-Lionhead] to join 22 Cans, and Molyneux himself said he had "mixed emotions" about his decision to move on. Still, move on he did - but not, it would seem, completely out of sight.

Molyneux will likely turn up at the announcement event for Microsoft's next console, although in what capacity remains a closely-guarded secret. "There's this opportunity that's come up for me to be involved - it's not from Microsoft, by the way - in the Xbox announcement, and I'm probably going to take up that opportunity," he told Eurogamer. "I'm sworn to secrecy here. It should be really good fun, and maybe slightly contentious."

"Slightly contentious" would seem to be right up Molyneux's alley, given how aptly it describes pretty much everything about the man. Speaking of which, he quickly muddied the waters by insisting, somewhat ominously, that while he will probably take part in the Microsoft announcement, he won't actually appear on the stage. "I can categorically say, I'm the last person they will want on their stage," he added.

He also claimed that based on an analysis conducted by 22 Cans founder and CTO Tim Rance, the probability is that the secret of the Curiosity cube - which, you will recall, Molyneux promised will be "added fuel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118403-Peter-Molyneux-Explains-His-Crazy-Curiosity-Cube] to the rumor fire by saying what an awful lot of people are likely thinking.

"I suppose the conjecture of there being something to do with the Xbox in the middle would be on everyone's minds," he said. "If I give any clues then the amazing fact that it hasn't leaked out - because I'm just such a blabber mouth - it would be such a shame if that was the case."

Oh, Peter. You are such a tease.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-molyneux-teases-mystery-appearance-at-microsofts-next-xbox-reveal-event]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'm guessing something to do with Fable? Even though Molyneux has moved on from Lionhead maybe they invited him along to watch the next installment, and didn't want him on stage because he has a history of promising the Moon and delivering a fridge magnet of the Moon. Much like the delicious centre of the cube will be 'life changing' in that it probably has a coupon inside.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
luvd1 said:
Hands up those who give a s@&t.
*looks up from reading Out of the Silent Planet* My hands aren't raised, I just hold books this way. No worries!

Seriously though, I am tired of hearing about Molyneux. I respect that the guy had some neat ideas (and still sometimes does), but he just... I am just tired of hearing about him. Before it was funny, but unlike CliffyB, he hasn't improved over time in my perspective. He's lessened his standing, especially with Fable 3...

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Doesn't Peter Molyneux symbolize false promises or something (I never played fable). He seems like the right person to have at the next xbox reveal...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
luvd1 said:
*raises hand* This has entertainment value all over it.

PoolCleaningRobot said:
Doesn't Peter Molyneux symbolize false promises or something (I never played fable). He seems like the right person to have at the next xbox reveal...
I'd think he'd be more in line with a Nintendo reveal.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
He's going to tell us that the next xbox can render trees growing in real time :p

Speaking of Molyneux. Wasn't he doing a God game through kickstarter? What ever happened to that? Heard nothing about that since the kickstarter ended.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Really weird announcement. So he goes to Eurogamer to specify that he will be assisting in an xbox-related yet not specifically Microsoft event, and that he will have no speaking part or take the stage at any point. He then proceeds to say that he's a blabbermouth. Am I missing something or is this extremely trivial?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
His games would be good if he didnt make them out to be more than they are. All the Bullfrog game were really good. He just doesnt know when to shut up.....i get that he has ideas that can not be put in a game. he is a really creative person. But why spout crap when he cant back up those words? Lets hope he can do something awesome, the game world needs him to push the game making thing. Just give him the time he needs to make awesome games and also give him a public relations person to stop him spouting stuff that is pointless.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
luvd1 said:
*raises hand* This has entertainment value all over it.

PoolCleaningRobot said:
I'd think he'd be more in line with a Nintendo reveal.
Probably. Microsoft will promise shit and we'll get shit[footnote]ok I'm being negative but I'm not fan of Microsoft has been doing things[/footnote]

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
So... What? His specifically indie house (22 Cans) got snatched up by Microsoft? I can't imagine that Curiosity has anything to do with this, seeing as it was started long before the prep phase for the upcoming Xbox announcement. Maybe Godus got scrapped or was inflated into whatever high-concept killer app MS wants for the new Live Arcade's lineup.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Probably. Microsoft will promise shit and we'll get shit
Personally, I can't wait to hear about how the gaming portion of their next console has become a tertiary function.