213: Casualty of Warhammer

Jeremy Monken

Jul 7, 2008
Casualty of Warhammer

The customer service team at EA Mythic had it all - catered lunches, Rock Band-filled break rooms and logo-stamped coffee mugs. But sliding subscription numbers and a slumping economy meant the good times wouldn't last. Jeremy Monken recounts his time as a GM for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

Read Full Article

Jun 13, 2009
A fantastic read and a bleak look into the world of game design. It's a shame it went downhill so fast, but then that's the problem with making a WoW killer. It's outright win or end up at the back of the shelf again, WoW is just too big.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
blimey, that was quite a story, I have to admit. Its very unusual to see the troubles of a company from an employers point of view (especially in the gaming industry), and having somebody talk about the bleak parts of being employed in the gaming companies is rather refreshing (most video's and trailers from companies show happy employee's saying how great the company is)

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
A sad read. I played WAR from the beginning, and the first month, it really felt like something huge was going on, like WoW might have a realt contestant. Then the zones became less populated. It was harder finding people to PQ with. And then, the real sign that something was wrong; servers started merging. In the beginning, I had to queue for 20-40 minutes, if I got in too late in the evening. Now there weren't enough to fill the servers that people had cried for to be multiplied.

I eventually stopped subscribing as well. Not to play WoW, but simply because the game lost value, along with the loss of players.
When I got an email some weeks ago, that they were offering me 10 free days, I couldn't resist. I played with great glee for the first three days. Then Extra work and other stuff cropped up. And I wasn't really bothered that my short free period was running out. I think that says it all.

It's a really great game. In the short while it has been running, I've had extremely great times. But its one soft spot is it's playerbase, and when that's not there... Well, then it just doesn't work.

IT's still great though, and I hope, as the author of the article does, that it will come back with a vengeance. WoW is not getting younger. Mac users who've never had a chance, want to have a peek. More and more content is being added(though we're yet to see the four capitols that were cut...)

I just wonder, that even if WoW grows "too old", if WAR will be able to make a come back, with newer MMO's being released. Some of my (former) guildmates are talking about leaving WAR, and playing Aion istead when that comes. I myself, is gingerly awaiting FF14.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
If I could give you a digital hug, I would. Thanks for the good read and best of luck to you in finding work.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
ouch... thats painful. Is it just me that thinks that games workshop themselves could do more to advertise the game?

rosac

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Good story and an interesting read.

It's not really surprising that the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion two months later
severely reduced Warhammer Online's subscriber base.
Most people won't pay for more than one MMO subscription...

I do think that Warhammer Online is one of the best MMO's out there.
Good luck at finding another job Jeremy Monken.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I wish I could care.

Promising game? Yeah, it was promising. And I still can't forgive them for ripping me and 700k people out of $50+ for beta testing a game that was supposed to be after a beta test. They didn't balance the classes, they didn't make end-game rewarding or interesting.

I wish I could get my $80 back from them, because I had more fun in Open Beta than in the whole retail.

Don't blame WoW for people leaving. You promise people a PvP/RvR game, they pay you, you fail to deliver a good PvP/RvR experience, they go to a better PvE game.

Also, I doubt the numbers of WAR were because of WoW's expansion pack release. - it's more of ignoring the community.

More about this here:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304136

edit: Lol, one sentence didn't make sense.

Arkengetorix

Mar 21, 2009
Why try and create ANOTHER fantasy mmo on top of the already existing million of them? Why not go with War40k? I still personally want to try the game. Though I'm at least 4 months away from being able to, time will tell.

Noirez

Aug 1, 2009
As sorry as I feel for the author for losing his job, I'm still pissed at WAR for ripping me off for over $100, not including the months of subscriptions I paid. That's right, I stupidly bought 2 copies of the Collector's Edition to play along with my partner on the very first day it came out. Almost everything that their Brit PR shrill promised was a lie. Overall, it's been an extremely disappointing and expensive mistake. My friends and I have learnt the lesson of never falling for PR hype and will not be paying to be a company's beta testers again. The pretty boxes and discs are now collecting dust on a shelf somewhere.

The trust has been lost and we will never purchase another Mythic product again.

Ashkente

Jan 21, 2009
Arkengetorix said:
Why try and create ANOTHER fantasy mmo on top of the already existing million of them? Why not go with War40k? I still personally want to try the game. Though I'm at least 4 months away from being able to, time will tell.
Because as fans of 40k usually tend to forget, a 40K game would need to be beyond immense in scale, like.. 20x EvE big, with all races represented at launch, and all the other crap that would cause fans to ***** if they couldn't do them immediately.

"What? I can't play a Titan commander? /fail, i'm going back to WoW."

Personally, this saddens me immensely, the Warhammer universe, and the MMO, are like spending years growing up with Errol Flynn movies, reading books like Last of the Mohicans, and wishing you were Zorro after school.

WoW, is the digital version Hercules, the Legendary journeys.
Sure, Kevin Sorbo's cool, but he's working within a horribly sterilized environment.

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
Ashkente said:
WoW, is the digital version Hercules, the Legendary journeys.
Sure, Kevin Sorbo's cool, but he's working within a horribly sterilized environment.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I just don't see the appeal of WoW. I can understand the idea behind a MMO, it's a great way to get players together in one place(so to speak). The problem lies with the games. WoW is just grinding and leveling up and dealing with idiots dancing in the middle of towns for no damned reason, which leaves one to wonder how this could be considered fun.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I tried to like WAR, I really did. I love 40K as anyone could guess from my nick and Warhammer, while not my favourite of the two, I do prefer it's fantasy to the fantasy of many other series, Warcraft included, but the game was so boringly similar to WoW's grind centric game play. And I can't stand grinding. It really turns me off a game.

Mnemon

Nov 29, 2006
good read. you never want to hear about folks losing their job.

i will say though pinning the failures of Warhammer on WoW's expansion is a little narrow-sighted and naive IMO.

The people who jumped into WAR (and Age of Conan before it) wanted a viable alternative to WoW. I have no doubt if WAR would have provided that alternative, it would still be a healthy game today.

Instead, WAR players are left with an end game that is still not well thoughtout or viable on many servers. They are left with unbalanced combat and "mirror" classes that can be drastically different in ability and power from patch to patch. And they are left with RvR that 99.999 percent of the time boils down to which side has more players at that moment.

People left WAR because it simply wasn't, and isn't, a good game. It had all the potential in the world, but I think the decision makers at Mythic were too stubborn and full of ego for their own damn good.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
My sympathies go out to the author of the article, but WAR was too much like WoW for its own good. The difference is yes, WAR's RVR was slightly better at some points in time than WoW's battlegrounds, but the PVE was severely lacking.

I got turned off of the game when I discovered I had to go to every map in my tier just to gain enough xp off of quests and killing mobs to get to the next tier. That right there kind of kills any hopes of rolling an alt and seriously having fun past Tier 1, because starting with tier 2 you've already seen all the content.

I know Mythic hyped WAR to be a pvp-based game so perhaps the fault is mine for assuming I would like the pvp (RVR) in it. In early access RVR was phenomenal because you didn't know who was going to win the matches. The official launch hit and Destruction (the side I was playing at the time) became filled with people who had no clue how to pvp and seemingly didn't know how to read English.

Now, I don't have a problem with people who don't know how to read English, but if you're playing on a server where a specified language is the primary language, you should know how to at least read it. Then again, it may be that all those people who rolled Destruction and failed at pvp knew how to read English but decided they wanted to be the big bad hero anyway.

WAR has a lot of promise. To the OP, I hope you get your job back or another that's just as good.

Muckbeast

Aug 27, 2008
Are you kidding me with this?

"Our game had been beaten into submission by gold farmers, cheaters and WoW's new expansion."

Gold farmers and cheaters were a total non-issue as to why Warhammer failed. Gold has almost no use or purpose in the game, and as a result gold farmers lost their shirts. Many have abandoned WAR by now.

If you want the truth about why Warhammer failed here it is:

What Went Wrong with Warhammer Online?
http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/mmo/articles/44427.aspx

Sure, WoW's expansion hurt WAR, but that's because WAR was utterly failing to deliver the PvP/RvR experience it promised.

I was really disappointed that this 4 page article from an insider gave us nothing about what happened internally to cause WAR's utter failure. No scuttlebut as to why they foolishly clung to 2 realms, or why they refused to fix CC or class balance, or why they thought adding more broken content to a broken game was better than fixing existing content.

/disappointed

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
I don't normally play on what I do elsewhere, but I find it pretty relevant this time around.

In these circles, I'm just a regular poster, but WAR hits home for me in particular. I'm the Assistant Site Manager for Warhammer Alliance [http://www.warhammeralliance.com], one of the major fansites for Warhammer Online, and felt that while I can't really comment on what's inside the company, as I am not employed or ever was employed for Mythic, I can comment on how the game has progressed.

WAR's main issues at this time really stem from a lot of factors. One would be a release which I personally suspect was artificially induced to try to get ahead of Wrath of the Lich King, which turned out to be a mistake. Another was the whole overpromise and underdeliver syndrome that happened as a result of setting expectations at a level that exuded confidence but which may not have been appropriate of a game of this scale. You can't compete with WoW unless you are willing to be like McDonald's, compromising your core design elements to gain more subscribers and presenting things in an easy-to-digest method. Most MMOs these days, including WAR, want to target an audience with the things that make their game great and unique - worthy, but not enough to take down the juggernaut of MMOs.

Realistically, the game has improved quite a bit from the time that perhaps most of the commenters so far, and even the writer, have stopped being subbed/associated with it. Crash to desktops are reduced, the UI is greatly improved, and most of RvR works fairly well. The most recent patch brought with it an addressing of AoE and CC that was definitely needed. The team soldiers on and is confident, despite the layoffs referred to in the article and the loss of longtime GM/VP Mark Jacobs. The real issue is that there are core problems that still need fixing - things that affect mostly endgame, city siege, combat balance, and RvR elements. These are all responsible for retaining subscriptions, WAR's biggest problem. There are recent interviews out there that reflect the developers' feelings about their game, and the acknowledgment of these real issues that have, on some level, cost people their jobs. So the next few months, with Aion and Champions on the horizon, will test WAR's ability to stay afloat. Time will tell whether it works out one way or the other. The Catch-22 is that people want these problems fixed RIGHT NOW, but fixing them takes testing, which takes time. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

WAR is a good game - despite rocky roads ahead, and from what I know, I think it is in no real danger of going away just yet. People declaring terminal death for an MMO need to see that an underperforming MMO is not necessarily a dead MMO - Hellgate London and Tabula Rasa are the only two recent entries to actually "fail", and many MMOs out there continue to operate despite most people writing them off, meaning on some level, they are providing some level of profit to a company. That isn't blind fanboyism, that's fact.

WAR's development time and how it's changing fits most MMOs out there - including WoW's. The issue is that the standard and bar has been raised, and subscribers are less tolerant of understanding that an MMO is dynamic and it is changing, and that to fix things is a marathon, not a sprint. These are not excuses for the way WAR has performed from a subscription standpoint, but they do explain in part why things worked out the way they have. I too feel sorry for the OP's loss of a job, and what he went through, and hope that the tale hits home for development teams when creating expectations and priorities for their games.

For our part, we are going to continue to level the praise and the criticism, and ultimately the dialog, necessary to make WAR better. Our forums contain plenty of people that have unsubbed, but are still keeping an eye on WAR. I encourage everyone here to do the same.

Cybercoco

Mar 30, 2008
Sorry to say, but I find it amusing that WARs "woes" seem to be due completely to outside sources, rather than to inherent shortcomings of the game and service itself (including the sub-par CSR service from EAMythic that always plagued the game long before layoffs even occurred), according to this author.

At least I now know why CSR would sometimes take literal months to get back to me on a problem whenever my petition was escalated. Too busy playing "Rock Band". <_<

LaBambaMan said:
I couldn't have put it better myself. I just don't see the appeal of WoW. I can understand the idea behind a MMO, it's a great way to get players together in one place(so to speak). The problem lies with the games. WoW is just grinding and leveling up and dealing with idiots dancing in the middle of towns for no damned reason, which leaves one to wonder how this could be considered fun.
No offense, but your post clearly demonstrates your ignorance of the genre. No, you don't really have understanding of a MMO if that's your impression of it. I'd encourage you to really try one out before passing judgment. I'd bet you would find it isn't quite as shallow as you make it out to be after all.