Oculus Rift Headset Simulates Beheadings

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Oculus Rift Headset Simulates Beheadings

[vimeo=65510054]​
Disunion, the virtual reality guillotine simulator, may well be the most creatively creepy use of the Oculus Rift VR headset yet conceived.

Boy, is there anything that says "good times ahead" like the guillotine, that towering, bloody symbol of the French Revolution? Of course there is, but that didn't keep a team at the Exile Game Jam [http://exile.dk/] in Denmark from making an Oculus Rift-powered decapitation simulator called Disunion, and I have to admit that I have a very powerful and perverse desire to try this thing out myself.

The concept is simple: Slap on the headset, kneel down and place your head in the virtual guillotine, enjoy the scenery for a moment or two, and then ka-blam - the blade falls and the head rolls. All the requisite elements for a good old-fashioned beheading are present, including the executioner, a crowd of gawkers and the basket, and you can even look up at the blade and watch it come slamming down.

It's not really a game but the reactions of the participants speak for themselves. I especially like the idea of chopping someone across the back of the neck - gently, of course - when the blade comes down, for that extra layer of immersion. It is undoubtedly creepy, but until science figures out how to quickly and conveniently re-attach severed heads, it's probably as close as we're going to come to experiencing the real thrill of being executed in front of a braying 19th-century mob. And come on, who wouldn't want to try that?

Source: Unicorn7 [http://www.unicorn7.org/games/game/147/]

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Yeah, that's just plain creepy. Thank the gods it doesn't come with a full bodied sensory perception suit or something. That would probably cause real deaths.

Captcha: "caesar salad". Uh-huh.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
People are going to lose their heads over this one...

...And if it doesn't sell very well, there's no doubt that heads will roll.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I'm surprised this was made...

Well, not really. I'm more surprised that this was made BEFORE an oculus rift sex simulator.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
*quickly glances over the past commments, laughs and goes away*

OT: This is way too amusing...Then again , the dudes probably felt some very real motion sickness afterwards, so i don't see how this could be anything more than just a creepy experiment.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I imagine this could cause some serious Phantom Limb Pain for some people, but vice versa. Forcing a mind-body disconnect gives me the heebee jeebees.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Seems they are definitely ahead of the curve of this one.

Can we expect more than a vertical slice of gameplay with this later on?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Puns aside, has anyone actually come up with some good ideas for this thing?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
So um, I have vision in both my eyes, but can't see 3D as I use one at a time....will this work for me or not?

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Oh boy. I wouldn't be surprised if this could induce panic attacks.
EHKOS said:
So um, I have vision in both my eyes, but can't see 3D as I use one at a time....will this work for me or not?
Does that mean you don't have any depth perception? If that's the case, then no 3D for you.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Product Placement said:
Oh boy. I wouldn't be surprised if this could induce panic attacks.
EHKOS said:
Does that mean you don't have any depth perception? If that's the case, then no 3D for you.
Not sure, I can't see any 3D effects on my 3DS, but in the real world I do have depth perception. It's not great, but I do have it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Me (a week ago): "Man, I wonder what cool things we'll do with the Oculus Rift?"

Today: I see this.

<youtube=x6Y21HMdSsU&start=198&end=201&autoplay=1>

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Puns aside, has anyone actually come up with some good ideas for this thing?
Well there's, you know, actually playing games. But if that's not what you're looking for...then not really.There was that treadmill, but everyone with a brain crucified that. Then again, it would be cool in arcades.

I'm think something really good that you can actual use at home, would be something that addresses the fact that "hey, this thing is supposed to be your head on someone else's shoulder." Though aside from you know, just playing a game, I'm not sure what that is.

The two most basic yet perhaps most important parts about gaming are this: Experience and Interactivity.

From gunning down enemy troops to rejecting immigration to a fictional European country. From talking to alien species and learning about them to talking with friends in a game and frantically screaming as you realize you're all about to get mortared to death.

A cool way to turn this simulator into an actual game, might be to have players try and plead for their lives. (Yeah, not the most "bombastic" game, but eh)

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Jove said:
Dr.Awkward said:
People are going to lose their heads over this one...

...And if it doesn't sell very well, there's no doubt that heads will roll.
Indeed. After this little experiment, what lies ahead for Oculus Rift is questionable.

Hopefully, they can keep their head in the game.
Aye, and let us all hope that the devs can keep their heads out of the clouds... and arses. Maybe this will open up some new game mechanics where you actually have to use your *drumroll* head.

Captcha: marry me
Wow, wow slow down! At least buy me a coffee first.