Konami Reveals Additional Metal Gear Solid Legacy Content

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Konami Reveals Additional Metal Gear Solid Legacy Content

The PS3-exclusive Metal Gear Solid collection now includes a familiar game from 1987.

Note: The original story states that Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake were new additions to the collection, but these were already included in Metal Gear Solid 3 HD Edition. The art book is the only new material being added to the collection. We apologize for the confusion.

The Metal Gear series is one that can be overwhelmingly complex for newcomers, and it's not hard to understand why. The story has been ongoing since the 1980s without a single reboot, and frequently references the convoluted history of its previous entries. That makes news of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123451-Konami-Releasing-Yet-Another-Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection>the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection all the more appealing for anyone hoping to brave Solid Snake's journey from start to finish. Even better are details appearing on Konami's websites detailing bonus content not mentioned in the original announcements. Specifically, both Western and Japanese versions of the set now include Hideo Kojima's original Metal Gear games, while the game's Japanese website mentions an 100 page art book by Yoji Shinkawa.

For those keeping count, this means that the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection includes Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, all four core Metal Gear Solid games, the MGS: VR Missions, MGS: Peace Walker, and two full graphic novels. The attached image of the Japanese edition shows that multiple Blu-Ray discs are required to store it all, and even then two entries (including Metal Gear Solid) will use off-disc download codes. It's not entirely clear whether North American audiences will get an art book of their own, but so far the option doesn't appear to be ruled out.

The Legacy Collection still doesn't include every single Metal Gear game (we'd need Twin Snakes to truly impress the fans) but it's still an impressive compilation for newcomers and series veterans alike. The Japanese release date has been set for July 11th, so hopefully we'll all be able to sneak around in digital boxes within a few months.

Source: Konami, via <a href=http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=7620>Metal Gear Solid.nl

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Well I mean wouldn't they have the original Metal Gear games anyway? I mean they were with MGS3 in the last collection.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Genocidicles said:
Well I mean wouldn't they have the original Metal Gear games anyway? I mean they were with MGS3 in the last collection.
I was about to say that, playing those 2 games has already been possible without a NES before this. Though I hear that the MSX versions are very different and superior to the NES ones. If those two were included, that would make me bite. Either way, this is a perfect idea for those people who missed the MGS train over the years and need a way to dive in from the start.

I have a PS2 collection of 1-3 (with no way to play them now that my PS2 broke and my PS2 emu runs 2 & 3 too slow), don't have the HD collection and never played Peace Walker. I might get this, just to have them all looking their best in one nice little package for once. Well, as long as it doesn't cost an exorbitant amount.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Shut up and take my money!! *throws credit card at Galaxy S4* aww nothing happened :-(

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Art book? Shinkawa?

If it's a proper art book like the one with Mass Effect (and not an insult like Mass Effect 3's) then colour me interested. Maybe make a stand alone art book? There was one for MGS back in 99, but that thing's like hunting chicken's teeth now, gimme an art book damnit!

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Welp I've not had a PS3 since my last one broke down in 2009 and now it's time to go out and buy myself a PS3 Slim for this gorgeous collection that I simply cannot shy from.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Genocidicles said:
I was about to say that, playing those 2 games has already been possible without a NES before this. Though I hear that the MSX versions are very different and superior to the NES ones. If those two were included, that would make me bite. Either way, this is a perfect idea for those people who missed the MGS train over the years and need a way to dive in from the start.

I have a PS2 collection of 1-3 (with no way to play them now that my PS2 broke and my PS2 emu runs 2 & 3 too slow), don't have the HD collection and never played Peace Walker. I might get this, just to have them all looking their best in one nice little package for once. Well, as long as it doesn't cost an exorbitant amount.
The MSX versions are actually the only ones that have been included in the past (on disc 2 of MGS3: Subsistence and as part of MGS3 HD) since Metal Gear on the NES is quite inferior and Snake's Revenge isn't even an official sequel.

Fanghawk said:
The Legacy Collection still doesn't include every single Metal Gear game (we'd need Twin Snakes to truly impress the fans)
You spelled Portable Ops wrong.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
multiple Blu-Ray discs are required to store it all
Wtf? Don't blue ray disks hold like 50 gigs? I guess most of it is taken up by mgs4 but still

Unless it includes the complete version of mgs3 with Snake vs Monkey and the guy savage dream I'm not very interested (I already have the HD collection and the ever elusive Twin Snakes for gamecube)

RicoADF said:
Shut up and take my money!! *throws credit card at Galaxy S4* aww nothing happened :-(
That was just an excuse to show off that you have a Galaxy S4. Admit it! [small]Damn phone contract lasting another 4 months gumble grumble...[/small]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
RicoADF said:
That was just an excuse to show off that you have a Galaxy S4. Admit it! [small]Damn phone contract lasting another 4 months gumble grumble...[/small]
Dammit I've been caught out....... *pats S4* my precious......
[small]I ended my previous phone contract a year early (it was a HTC Velocity 4G) and just had to pay $200 to pay off the handset, so win! [/small]

Seriously thought I can't wait to get my hands on this set, never played the original metal gear games, started at Metal Gear Solid on PSX and have always wanted to check out the older games in the franchise.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
RicoADF said:
Dammit I've been caught out....... *pats S4* my precious......
[small]I ended my previous phone contract a year early (it was a HTC Velocity 4G) and just had to pay $200 to pay off the handset, so win! [/small]
Ug, $200 to end my contract plus $300 for the HTC One (yeah thats right!). I'm so close to finish line of my contract I couldn't bear the extra expense. I should be able to show up a few months early and talk them into waving my fee. Until then I'm stuck with my ever faithful HTC Sensation

Seriously thought I can't wait to get my hands on this set, never played the original metal gear games, started at Metal Gear Solid on PSX and have always wanted to check out the older games in the franchise.
I love them all but honestly Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker might be my favorite. Its so damn good. Look forward to that one too if you haven't already experienced the joy (see what I did there? Nah, you'll figure it out) of Peace Walker

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Portable Ops
Damn, Kojima, when are you gonna get over the fact that you didn`t wrote the fantastic plot of Portable Ops and stop trying to erase it from existence?!

I just LOVE Portable Ops!
What is really fantastic about it is that the plot works for the gameplay and vice versa.

The game explores how Big Boss went from a single stealth operative to the commander of an unit. And the whole gameplay is about recruiting soldiers on site and forming your unit.
And, unlike Peace Walker, the soldiers aren`t just numbers adding up to different parts of mother base... The recruited soldiers had different attributes that actually made slight changes on the gameplay. Some would sneak better, other were better with CQC or specific weapons.
Spys had different functions, as they could open a better map or find hidden missions.

You really felt like managing a small team, and building their expertise.

The story has great pacing, and I love the fact that you start as Big Boss, literally waking up and finding himself in the middle of a huge mess, between the FOX Unit, the russian army. Gives a good sense of urgency.
And it was the game in which he turns his back on his country and decides to find another meaning for his life. "I am doing this out of loyalty to myself! I am not gonna live my life the way The Boss did".

I am very passionate for this particular game, and it pains me that it is, more often than not, forgotten...

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
RicoADF said:
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is surprisingly good!
I must confess that I didn`t finished it, but I played a lot of it and found very impressive! It must have been really ahead of its time.
The gameplay is very compelling and varied, like future installments on the franchise ended up being!

The original Metal Gear on the MSX on the other hand is very dated.
Still interesting, but I find it hard to play nowadays!

After all, when are these remakes coming, huh, Kojima?

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Exciting news! I only played 30 minutes of MGS3 on the ps2, somehow it didn't catch my attention.
I suppose I will give it another try.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
RicoADF said:
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is surprisingly good!
I must confess that I didn`t finished it, but I played a lot of it and found very impressive! It must have been really ahead of its time.
The gameplay is very compelling and varied, like future installments on the franchise ended up being!

The original Metal Gear on the MSX on the other hand is very dated.
Still interesting, but I find it hard to play nowadays!

After all, when are these remakes coming, huh, Kojima?
I've also yet to finish Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, but I love how it's basically just Metal Gear Solid in 2-D where game mechanics are concerned and plan on going back to it soon. Another good one is Ghost Babel, which basically plays like MG2 with some slightly reconfigured controls. I definitely had a blast with that one.

Also glad you love Portable Ops as much as I do. It always pains me to see people ignore such a fun and well-crafted entry in the series, especially while praising the misguided and imbalanced Twin Snakes. Complain about "the claw" as much as you want, it's still better than taking a beloved game and throwing in bungled voice acting, new movement mechanics that the environments aren't designed for, and cutscene shenanigans that shatter any suspension of disbelief.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I got to thinking, and there should be a "ultimate Kojima collection" that includes Portable Ops and a proper HD Snatcher. I refuse to pay the going price for a Sega CD copy, and that would be fucking awesome. I'm sure it will never happen, though : (

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Was really hoping from a remake of the first game, at least up to MGS3 HD quality, game deserves a facelift outside Twin Snakes (was a very limited release in my country) which is damn near impossible to get unless you drop a couple hundred bucks on it on trademe or ebay or something.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
I got to thinking, and there should be a "ultimate Kojima collection" that includes Portable Ops and a proper HD Snatcher. I refuse to pay the going price for a Sega CD copy, and that would be fucking awesome. I'm sure it will never happen, though : (
I know it is VERY fringe to advocate emulation or piracy (hope I don't get a warning for this, but it is worth the risk), but just hear me out, OK?
See, I know for a fact that piracy is a bad thing. The PSP, a system that I absolutely LOVED has had a very rough time mostly beacuse of piracy (and no, not because it lacked a secong analog stick).
It hurts developers, hurts the industry and piracy is part of the reason that we are being flooded with bad F2P and microtransactions.

That said, this is exactly the type of situation that emulation should be defended.
Is the game available on the market? Is there any way to legally obtain and play the game without resorting to absurd eBay "collector's item" prices? Not to mention the trouble of having to use outdated tech.
Even if you pay dearly for an used copy on e-Bay, the developers and publishers still don't get a dime for it.
So I say eff it, I'm downloading.
So I download, play it on my device of choice (usually the Xperia Play) and, when it is available (or if it gets available at all), I pay for it on steam, or Virtual Console, or PSN, or whatever.
After all, it is exactly the copyright owner that is to blame for the fact that I can't pay a fair price for the game nowadays.

I did this exact thing with Snatcher, by the way (even if I haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet).
Another game I did this with? Sonic CD. Then I payed for it when it was released, both on PS3 and Android Market.
So I have 10 bucks reserved for the day that I will be able to legally purchase Snatcher, for a fair price!

Is piracy bad? Yes, it is, definitely.
Is piracy ALWAYS bad? Not if you apply moral introspection, use it as an last resort tool, and find a way to reward the developer.

That's my two cents...

By the way: cool name, bro! Praise the sun!

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
I know it is VERY fringe to advocate emulation or piracy (hope I don't get a warning for this, but it is worth the risk), but just hear me out, OK?
See, I know for a fact that piracy is a bad thing. The PSP, a system that I absolutely LOVED has had a very rough time mostly beacuse of piracy (and no, not because it lacked a secong analog stick).
It hurts developers, hurts the industry and piracy is part of the reason that we are being flooded with bad F2P and microtransactions.

That said, this is exactly the type of situation that emulation should be defended.
Is the game available on the market? Is there any way to legally obtain and play the game without resorting to absurd eBay "collector's item" prices? Not to mention the trouble of having to use outdated tech.
Even if you pay dearly for an used copy on e-Bay, the developers and publishers still don't get a dime for it.
So I say eff it, I'm downloading.
So I download, play it on my device of choice (usually the Xperia Play) and, when it is available (or if it gets available at all), I pay for it on steam, or Virtual Console, or PSN, or whatever.
After all, it is exactly the copyright owner that is to blame for the fact that I can't pay a fair price for the game nowadays.

I did this exact thing with Snatcher, by the way (even if I haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet).
Another game I did this with? Sonic CD. Then I payed for it when it was released, both on PS3 and Android Market.
So I have 10 bucks reserved for the day that I will be able to legally purchase Snatcher, for a fair price!

Is piracy bad? Yes, it is, definitely.
Is piracy ALWAYS bad? Not if you apply moral introspection, use it as an last resort tool, and find a way to reward the developer.

That's my two cents...

By the way: cool name, bro! Praise the sun!
Im leaving the whole quote because people need too see that. Why? Youve made a very compelling argument to me. If i pony up the cash, Kojima and friends dont get the money, some dude who found snatcher in his attic does. Oh, and i dont need emulation. The sega CD has zero copy protection. None. I dont think Cd burners were as prevalent back then. Well, off to get some use out of this monster that takes up 3 power outlets, and finally experience this thing. Ill have 15 ready for when Konami wants it.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, those always make a day better too : )

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Even though I own MGS3, let's count!, 4 separate times, each in their own individual forms, I will probably end up buying this collection as well, if only to have it.