Facebook Denies Widespread Developer Loss

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook Denies Widespread Developer Loss

Simon Cross of Facebook says game makers aren't leaving Facebook, they're just moving to other platforms and bringing the social network along with them.

There was a time when the Facebook/Zynga partnership was undeniably the Next Big Thing in gaming. Core games were out, 'Villes were in and whether you liked it or not, a sea change in the "gamer" demographic meant that the videogame industry would soon be catering first and foremost to your mom rather than to you. But the wheels seem to have come off that plan rather quickly, haven't they? With Zynga continuing its ugly implosion and EA recently throwing in the towel, the two biggest boosters of the social gaming scene are now out of the picture, which you might think would constitute bad news for Facebook. But not so.

"This is something that people get wrong all the time, and I'll be really clear about this. Are developers moving away from Facebook? No. They're building Facebook into their apps. Just because they're building iOS and Android versions of their apps, does that mean they're moving away from Facebook? No," Simon Cross, Facebook's manager of developer relations, told Develop.

Facebook is "baked into" the top-grossing mobile apps, he said, explaining how developers aren't leaving Facebook but are actually taking Facebook to new places. And while Zynga's portion is sliding, the overall gaming scene on Facebook is actually growing: At GDC in March, Facebook said it paid $2 billion [http://www.develop-online.net/news/43650/GDC-13-Facebook-paid-out-2bn-to-devs-in-2012] to game makers on the site in 2012, and that more than 100 developers earned over $1 million through the site last year.

"That just speaks to everything that we're trying to do," Cross said. "It's just about being the social layer on every app, on every platform, that's where we want to be."

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/44111/Facebook-refutes-developer-exodus]

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
Now that we got rid of this ridiculous notion (that farmville will make you more bucks than normal games) we only need to wait for a while until we get rid (at least partially) of this social integration fallacy that publishers (yes, I am looking at you, ugly demonspawn of Nyarlhothep that currently running EA) seem to be obsessed with. Then we will maybe get more innovation in areas that matter, yay! :D

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
It's hard for them to come to terms that they're not everyone's go to social network anymore. Usually it's: there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
Now it's: there are plenty of other seas for the fish.
They aren't? Without fail, everyone I know under 30 has a Facebook account that they use, a couple use Twitter (mainly just following celebrities too) and no one uses Google's thing. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm genuinely surprised if that's true though.

And whilst Facebook integration may be a part of a lot of new games, does anyone use those features?

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Get your fingers out of your ears, stop saying "lalalalala", and change your name to Facemusic - Almost every developer has tried the social gaming scene only to find that the games people want to play now are just ones they played back before social networks were a thing, or that there's no room for creativity for an effective, profitable, and respectable monetization process for the games and the games themselves.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
So, Facebook connectivity is being integrated into other apps. That's great. I want to know how that makes Facebook any money.Just because something is connected to Facebook doesn't mean that Facebook is netting a profit from it.