EVE Online Celebrates Ten Years With Giant Space Battle

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EVE Online Celebrates Ten Years With Giant Space Battle

Thousands of tiny ships trying to take out a massive supercarrier adds up to possibly the most epic space battle since the Death Star went kablooie.

It's been ten years since EVE Online took flight and to mark the moment, EVE player Marlona Sky put out a challenge. She announced that on May 5, she would undock a Nyx supercarrier in a low-security system, and invited the rest of the universe to try to do something about it.

This was actually the third "Flight of a Thousand Rifters" event and it was a big success, drawing roughly 3000 pilots into a huge, glittering battle between a swarming horde of frigates - the smallest class of ship in the game - and the mighty supercarrier. To ensure an appropriately balanced battle, prize eligibility was restricted to those who attacked with frigates, and while some chose to ignore the restriction - this is EVE Online, after all - most people seemed happy to play by the rules.

The net result is nothing short of spectacular. A lot of the "shop talk" will probably go over your head if you're not a player, but the sheer scale of the battle and the firepower on display is really something to behold.

Sources: The Mittani [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTmVr4pU8Y]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Had to let my account lapse due to a lack of funds but I swear the second food and bills aren't my main concerns in life I'm heading back to EVE.

My first corp battle was barely more than a skirmish where only like three-four ships died but it was just so much fun running with a pack of ships under the leadership of our fleet commander as we traveled through dangerous territory linking up with allied fleets as we found them (possibly not speaking English) and laying complex traps with warp disrupters and cloaked forward scouts.

Outside of ARMA II I can't think of game where you need that type of leadership and coordination for nothing more than and 30 second skirmish.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I have never had a desire to play EVE but that event looked awesome! Nice job Marlona Sky.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Now I actually really want to play EVE, god dammnit. And it seems like a game that will never go Free to Play either.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
Now I actually really want to play EVE, god dammnit. And it seems like a game that will never go Free to Play either.
That would literally break the economy in half more than likely killing off the game.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Synopsis of the event. Nyx undocks; takes forever to turn around; rams station; physics ejects the carrier at microwarp speed (thousands of m/s;) frigates try to keep up; people in Battleships use smartbombs (AOE damage bombs to kill nearby frigates;) some come to repair the carrier, after 1.5hours Marlona Sky self destructs.

60 billion ISK down the drain. :D

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Oh, that's pretty cool, I gue- wait, who's that in the sources?
The Mittani?
As in, The tell-everyone-at-a-convention-to-harass-a-chronically-depressed-EVE-player-so-that-he-commits-suicide Mittani?
I know this is kind of off-topic, but it simply cannot be said enough: That guy is an absolute ass.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Too bad i havent been around the 10 year aniversary, so only a passive watcher now.

KubuTsukareta said:
The Mittani?
As in, The tell-everyone-at-a-convention-to-harass-a-chronically-depressed-EVE-player-so-that-he-commits-suicide Mittani?
I know this is kind of off-topic, but it simply cannot be said enough: That guy is an absolute ass.
your still holding onto that stupid thing where mittany got removed from CSM without reason? you seem to fail at grasping what eve is.

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Strazdas said:
your still holding onto that stupid thing where mittany got removed from CSM without reason? you seem to fail at grasping what eve is.
Yeah, pretty much.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
http://www.mmomeltingpot.com/2012/03/the-mittani-calls-for-another-player-to-be-harassed-into-suicide-blogger-reactions/

Only been two months. I'm still sickened at the mention of his name.

'Removed without reason' my ass, harassing another person into suicide is outright criminal, getting removed from his position of power was getting off light.

At least he apologized though, I'm sure the victim can rest in peace knowing that he has been unbanned, is back in the council, and regrets what he did. *smiley face*

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
ProtoChimp said:
One word: PLEX

For about 500mil isk (market price fluctuates), you can buy a month of game time. In-game currency for game-time.

Null or WH space is the best places too try and do this, but I do know of a few High-sec people who can (just takes a week or more of play, 4 hours a day, at least).
KubuTsukareta said:
The Mittani?
He Still PLAYS?!? I thought we got rid of that idiot. *sigh* only a 30-day ban, he should have got a year.